• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2023 Lightning Lariat ER tailgate won't open

Phuner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
I have a 2023 Lighting Lariat ER that won't allow me to open the tailgate

I've tried all buttons inside and outside with the power tailgate option toggled.

I've tried all buttons inside and outside with the power tailgate button toggled to manual as well.

Typically receive 2 beeps from tailgate with the truck is powered on.

I need assistance in solving this problem. My pickup only has 7500 miles on it.

Thanks
Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I would disconnect your Negative Battery terminal for a minute, connect it back up, and try again. If you have no luck with that it's probably a dealer visit...

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Look at the wire harness under the bed, unseat & reseat it

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

I've tried all buttons inside and outside with the power tailgate option toggled.

I've tried all buttons inside and outside with the power tailgate button toggled to manual as well.

Thanks
Hello, I would like to see if I can assist you with your tail gate concerns. Could you please send us a message with your VIN and mileage?

Billgeffert

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
Occupation
Retired

Typically receive 2 beeps from tailgate with the truck is powered on.

Thanks
My 23 Lariat has the same issue. It's been in the dealership for over 2 weeks now. They tell me a motor that controls the tailgate burn't out. Hope that's not your issue.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Make sure the truck is unlocked, and for extra measure have the key with you at the tailgate when you try to open it. I'm sure this isn't an issue, but I guess it's worth mentioned.

On my '18 F150 the tailgate with the electric release would sometimes not open. Dirt and crud got into the latching mechanisms. I would have to push the tailgate towards the front of the truck as I pushed the button to get it to release. Spraying and cleaning the latches real good fixed it.

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
My 24 flash is all electric too. So there is no mechanical hand release. Bummer if it's a dealer fix with a 2 week wait.
Not sure why they need to keep a truck if all they're waiting on Is a part.

Rick

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Mine did this last spring. Corrosion in the plug for the tailgate. They replaced the plugs??!? It has worked since then. I would rather have a conventional tailgate with a latch and lock that works when I want it to every time. It was giving me three beeps when I pressed the tailgate release button. Jiggling the plug sometimes helped. Setting to manual did not change anything. The button has to be able to talk to the rest of the truck to release the lock/latch. When the wires/connector corroded there was no communication with the tailgate.
Sponsored