• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

A/C Smell

scruvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT Standard Range
I've started implementing the best practices based on the info in this forum.

But, I'm still trying to go the warranty route for this issue to clean up the current mold/mildew.

So, far they quoted me $200 over the phone before diagnosing to clean the coils and said it wasn't covered under warranty. I declined and asked them to make an appointment to diagnose the issue. I'm surprised its not a warranty claim.
The dealership advised me that they notice mold. They said the cleaning/deodorizing service was not covered by warranty. They ultimately decided to comp the service.

I'm not sure the exact service they provided because I didn't receive paperwork.

It smelled better for one week, but the mold/mildew smell is back.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The dealership advised me that they notice mold. They said the cleaning/deodorizing service was not covered by warranty. They ultimately decided to comp the service.

I'm not sure the exact service they provided because I didn't receive paperwork.

It smelled better for one week, but the mold/mildew smell is back.
Sounds like they sprayed FeBreeze or similar in the system which masks the smell for a while, but doesn’t get rid of the root cause.

umbrop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
23 Lariat with 23K miles. I noticed the smell just over the past few weeks. Tried some of the suggestions here (turning AC off before getting home) but that doesn't seem to help. I noticed that the smell is primarily right after startup and will go away pretty quick if I turn the AC on. If I leave the AC off and fans on, the smell lingers. I am going to bring it up to the service advisor on my next visit.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
23 Lariat with 23K miles. I noticed the smell just over the past few weeks. Tried some of the suggestions here (turning AC off before getting home) but that doesn't seem to help. I noticed that the smell is primarily right after startup and will go away pretty quick if I turn the AC on. If I leave the AC off and fans on, the smell lingers. I am going to bring it up to the service advisor on my next visit.
Hi there. This A/C smell concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Lightning truck. Should you need further assistance, please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer and I'd be happy to see how I can assist you on my end. To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation".

Tom M

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2022 Kia EV6 Wind
Occupation
Pilot, Instructor
Took delivery of 2023 Lariat in Dec. Spring is here and starting to use the AC. Noticed the mold/musty smell from the A/C some times. It doesn't happen always and I can't find a pattern. Did anyone else notice this? Any ideas on the causes and solutions?

I had similar issue with a Lexus in the past. I was told it was due to mold growth on the evaporator. Essentially, after turning the car off, condensate will form on it due to residual cold and that will just "sit" there attracting mold. Don't know if it similar issue on this. Hope it is not as it was essentially a design flaw.
I live in a humid climate and had a similar problem. The condensation from the air conditioning drips across a foam seal that is on the passenger side firewall. Try this: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10168762-0001.pdf
Sponsored