• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

A2Z Typhoon Adapter Failure.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Folks, my A2Z Typhoon adaptor broke down internally. On August 11th on my way home, I stopped in Florence South Carolina at Bucee’s to use the Tesla SC stations. It was a dizzying 30 minutes of trying at least 4 different stalls, multiple times to get a charge. Failure after failure with multiple notifications of of the stations stalls had lost communication with my Lightning.
I was an a hurry to get my charge and continue home. Didn’t try the customer service for Tesla until the next day. I thought that Tesla didn’t recognize my VIN number at first. I gave up trying and proceeded 11 miles down the interstate to an EA station. There, without the adaptor on, I managed to get the charge I needed to get home.
It was a bit unsettling, the whole experience, to realize that the adaptor which worked brilliantly all these times, finally malfunctioned.
I was expecting something like this to happen eventually, but with some warning. The adaptor worked (3) days ago, at the same SC station at the exact similar stalls but not on the 11th.
On my ride home, I kept troubleshooting the issue in my head.
What was different this time. I tried the Tesla app and also the FordPass app.
The failures were identical.
I got home in the schedule time plus 45min for charging and rest area stops.
Monday the 12th, I contacted Tesla, which I got thru within 15 min, and got my answer that I needed to resolve my troubleshooting plan for the adaptor.
Tesla verified that my VIN number was in their system/database, and my app was active with them. Also that was nothing wrong with the Florence SC stalls. Next I called A2Z to inquire if they had any of the issues I was explaining to them. A2Z acknowledged that they were experiencing few similar issues with their first edition adaptors.
Immediately, A2Z Technical Support, issued me a Replacement adaptor.
I continued to troubleshoot this issue by trying a local SC station. The results were similar. Upon calling back to informed them of the failures I was experiencing, they emphasized to me that the replacement adaptor,(newer version), was on its way to my home in an expedited manner. I offered to send back the failed adaptor for their own failure analysis but they apparently were aware what exactly was going on.
Since Ford and Tesla were making plans to allow Ford to use the Tesla charging network, I was looking at the specs of these adaptors. Every time you put something in between two different components in order to make them compatible, you enter into a Life Cycle Event. These adaptors won’t last forever. We might getting an adaptor for free….sometime soon….but the existing ones are put thru hell.
1000V and 500Amps will eventually wear down the component, especially if you use it constantly.
Mine did last Sunday.
Caution to all who have adaptors and about to get the Tesla made adaptor for Ford. The Life Cycle Event timer will start and hopefully we may get a warning for the imminent failure of the component.
Good luck everyone.!!!!!
Sponsored

A2ZEV

Gold Sponsor
First Name
A2Z EV
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning & Ford Mach
Occupation
EVSE
Folks, my A2Z Typhoon adaptor broke down internally. On August 11th on my way home, I stopped in Florence South Carolina at Bucee’s to use the Tesla SC stations. It was a dizzying 30 minutes of trying at least 4 different stalls, multiple times to get a charge. Failure after failure with multiple notifications of of the stations stalls had lost communication with my Lightning.
I was an a hurry to get my charge and continue home. Didn’t try the customer service for Tesla until the next day. I thought that Tesla didn’t recognize my VIN number at first. I gave up trying and proceeded 11 miles down the interstate to an EA station. There, without the adaptor on, I managed to get the charge I needed to get home.
It was a bit unsettling, the whole experience, to realize that the adaptor which worked brilliantly all these times, finally malfunctioned.
I was expecting something like this to happen eventually, but with some warning. The adaptor worked (3) days ago, at the same SC station at the exact similar stalls but not on the 11th.
Monday the 12th, I contacted Tesla, which I got thru within 15 min, and got my answer that I needed to resolve my troubleshooting plan for the adaptor.
Tesla verified that my VIN number was in their system/database, and my app was active with them. Also that was nothing wrong with the Florence SC stalls. Next I called A2Z to inquire if they had any of the issues I was explaining to them. A2Z acknowledged that they were experiencing few similar issues with their first edition adaptors.
I continued to troubleshoot this issue by trying a local SC station. The results were similar. Upon calling back to informed them of the failures I was experiencing, they emphasized to me that the replacement adaptor,(newer version), was on its way to my home in an expedited manner. I offered to send back the failed adaptor for their own failure analysis but they apparently were aware what exactly was going on.
Since Ford and Tesla were making plans to allow Ford to use the Tesla charging network, I was looking at the specs of these adaptors. Every time you put something in between two different components in order to make them compatible, you enter into a Life Cycle Event. These adaptors won’t last forever. We might getting an adaptor for free….sometime soon….but the existing ones are put thru hell.
1000V and 500Amps will eventually wear down the component, especially if you use it constantly.
Mine did last Sunday.
Caution to all who have adaptors and about to get the Tesla made adaptor for Ford. The Life Cycle Event timer will start and hopefully we may get a warning for the imminent failure of the component.
Good luck everyone.!!!!!
Hi there,

Thank you for the explanation. We are sorry to see you adapter failed, but fortunately there are multiple failsafe mechanisms within the adapter making it non-functional if anything goes wrong or is not working properly. This is not common whatsoever and we've had people use the adapter over 50 to 100 times. We will take back your old adapter to investigate thoroughly and improve if there is a need to. Even if it's only 1 adapter out of 1,000,000 that fails, it is important for us to understand what happened and address our customer's concerns.

We appreciate the details and wish you a wonderful day.

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I'm glad A2Z handled it promptly. This scenario actually makes me feel better about ordering my A2Z adapter (should be here this week!). Before, it felt a bit wasteful, as I should've have my Ford branded adapter in June. But now I'm thinking that having a second adapter won't be a waste. I live in Las Vegas, and our charge stops on road trips in the desert are far apart. I'd hate to arrive at a SC on 'fumes' and find that my adapter died. Having a second adapter (whenever the Ford one finally arrives) might save me from that.

OP
OP

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Hi there,

Thank you for the explanation. We are sorry to see you adapter failed, but fortunately there are multiple failsafe mechanisms within the adapter making it non-functional if anything goes wrong or is not working properly. This is not common whatsoever and we've had people use the adapter over 50 to 100 times. We will take back your old adapter to investigate thoroughly and improve if there is a need to. Even if it's only 1 adapter out of 1,000,000 that fails, it is important for us to understand what happened and address our customer's concerns.

We appreciate the details and wish you a wonderful day.
Hello A2Z team:
I appreciate your prompt reply to my post. Your company a solid product of the highest quality. Your customers concerns are your priority.
Your phone call to converse with me personally was reassuring to the commitment you have for your customers.
I recognized the voice on the phone after watching many You Tube videos and numerous Forum members talking about and testing the A2Z adaptor. I was conversing with the CEO of A2Z.
I appreciate the fact that you listening to the Forum members who use your products, daily. I would not hesitate to use A2Z products for my L2, L3 charging needs.
To the A2Z team……..
Thank you very much.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
A2Z is a great company. Love their products.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I'm glad A2Z handled it promptly. This scenario actually makes me feel better about ordering my A2Z adapter (should be here this week!). Before, it felt a bit wasteful, as I should've have my Ford branded adapter in June. But now I'm thinking that having a second adapter won't be a waste. I live in Las Vegas, and our charge stops on road trips in the desert are far apart. I'd hate to arrive at a SC on 'fumes' and find that my adapter died. Having a second adapter (whenever the Ford one finally arrives) might save me from that.
You doing the right thing.
Still waiting for my Ford provided adaptor. June has come and gone.
Can’t complain though. The Tesla network is available to us. Since they are making the adaptors also, we may have to wait. In the mean time, A2Z has you covered.
Look at it this way. A2Z adaptors are available, now. I am keeping mine also.
Most likely , I would be ordering another A2Z adaptor to keep my mind at ease. Traveling with two adaptors all the time.
Good luck.

watson123

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, Antimatter Blue; Tesla Y
Occupation
Attorney
There's a little "trick" with A2Z Typhoon that user must employ the first 1-2x you use the adapter. I received the instructions regarding "the trick" from A2Z by text. Basically, you have to put that adapter on there abruptly with a quick movement to 'lock it on' with a forceful, quick hit. The 'lock' switch will engage if do it correctly.

Thereafter, the lock switch works easily. (not sure where and when this has been mentioned on the forum, but it's a must know piece of information for A2Z users).

I have no interest in Ford's adapter (if it even exists, lol).

rg7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
One thing I've heard isnthe adapters don't like to be hot. Because of this I don't keep mine in the car unless going on a road trip.

beast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning XLT SR 312A
Mine did last Sunday.
Good luck everyone.!!!!!
Why didn’t you just drive around to the other side of the Buc-ee’s where they have 4 Mercedes Benz chargers at that Buc-ee’s instead of driving more down the road to a EA station? I know of this because I did a road trip and charged there using the Mercedes Benz chargers.

OP
OP

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Why didn’t you just drive around to the other side of the Buc-ee’s where they have 4 Mercedes Benz chargers at that Buc-ee’s instead of driving more down the road to a EA station? I know of this because I did a road trip and charged there using the Mercedes Benz chargers.
They just added few more CCS chargers and few L2 with higher charge rates.
Now, how do you get the preferable rate on those Mercedes chargers.
Another app and account or thru Plug & Charge.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
They just added few more CCS chargers and few L2 with higher charge rates.
Now, how do you get the preferable rate on those Mercedes chargers.
Another app and account or thru Plug & Charge.
I just found out. Charge Point Express.
I have a Charge Point account.
$.48 is the rate. I will look into it thru my Charge Point account. $.36 for EA Pass+. Thank you for mentioning it.
If you need a charge and price is not your concern, then you pull up to the stations.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
One thing I've heard isnthe adapters don't like to be hot. Because of this I don't keep mine in the car unless going on a road trip.

👀 I've left the ford adapter in the center console since it showed up. Whoopsies.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I cannot imagine that the adapter would have any problem being in your vehicle as far as the heat is concerned at least compared to having super high voltage going through it!

OP
OP

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
👀 I've left the ford adapter in the center console since it showed up. Whoopsies.
It would not have any effect leaving it in your car. If you have it in its case or bag would not matter.
Perform couple charges in a hot blistering day and when you finish take the adaptor in your hands.
Hold it for a minute. You will get burned.
Sponsored