• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

A2Z Typhoon Adapter Failure.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I cannot imagine that the adapter would have any problem being in your vehicle as far as the heat is concerned at least compared to having super high voltage going through it!
The problem with a hot adapter is not damage, but simply tripping its thermal “circuit breakers.” If the adapter gets too hot, it thinks there’s a charging problem and doesn’t allow current to flow. OP might not have realized this, if he stores his adapter in the frunk or other hot place. In South summer heat, it might get too hot just from being in the sun in addition to the heat of DC fastcharging- I’ve had that happen when AC charging plenty of times.
Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
The problem with a hot adapter is not damage, but simply tripping its thermal “circuit breakers.” If the adapter gets too hot, it thinks there’s a charging problem and doesn’t allow current to flow. OP might not have realized this, if he stores his adapter in the frunk or other hot place. In South summer heat, it might get too hot just from being in the sun in addition to the heat of DC fastcharging- I’ve had that happen when AC charging plenty of times.
I completely understand heat I live in Texas! We don’t have to turn on our ovens in the summer we can just use our vehicles parked outside to cook in. Although we did have a cold front last week that knocked it down to 99°.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Last weekend I used my A2Z, 95F in full sun, 32% to 85%. No problems. Was hot but not burning hot when I was done. Left it sitting in the open case for a bit to let it cool off before tucking it back into the center console.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
It would not have any effect leaving it in your car. If you have it in its case or bag would not matter.
Perform couple charges in a hot blistering day and when you finish take the adaptor in your hands.
Hold it for a minute. You will get burned.
If your adapter is already at 110deg (from storing in a hot place in the truck) in ambient 95-100deg before you start DCFC, it’s more likely to overheat once you start running 500A through it. The thermal problem is not the heat of charge current flow, but the high ambient temperature conditions.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT ER, 23 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
received the instructions regarding "the trick" from A2Z by text. Basically, you have to put that adapter on there abruptly with a quick movement to 'lock it on' with a forceful, quick hit. The 'lock' switch will engage if do it correctly.
There's a little "trick" with A2Z Typhoon that user must employ the first 1-2x you use the adapter. I received the instructions regarding "the trick" from A2Z by text. Basically, you have to put that adapter on there abruptly with a quick movement to 'lock it on' with a forceful, quick hit. The 'lock' switch will engage if do it correctly.

Thereafter, the lock switch works easily. (not sure where and when this has been mentioned on the forum, but it's a must know piece of information for A2Z users).

I have no interest in Ford's adapter (if it even exists, lol).
Thats interesting. I have Tesla SC'd on two separate occasions and in both instances I have had to try multiple stations before I could get it lock to the Tesla connector.

Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
I wonder if our Ford adapter has these same heating issues and production of the Ford adapter was/is on hold while they try to improve the design to lessen the heat buildup?

My general rule with electrical items, if things get hot while in service, there is too much resistance somewhere, or a loose connection.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I would go along with that assumption, if Rivan wasn’t getting then out to their customers at the same time Ford owners are on hold.

OP
OP

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
If your adapter is already at 110deg (from storing in a hot place in the truck) in ambient 95-100deg before you start DCFC, it’s more likely to overheat once you start running 500A through it. The thermal problem is not the heat of charge current flow, but the high ambient temperature conditions.
The adaptor never got hot in my truck. It is always in its padded case and cooled down to 66deg. I had condensation when I introduced it to the outside elements at my stops. At the end of my trips, I bring the adaptor inside. I even offered A2Z the adaptor for detailed analysis which they informed me that they will take back the adaptor. Until then, I will like to know more about it. A2Z promised me a replacement and I have ordered the Pro as an additional back up.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
There's a little "trick" with A2Z Typhoon that user must employ the first 1-2x you use the adapter. I received the instructions regarding "the trick" from A2Z by text. Basically, you have to put that adapter on there abruptly with a quick movement to 'lock it on' with a forceful, quick hit. The 'lock' switch will engage if do it correctly.

Thereafter, the lock switch works easily. (not sure where and when this has been mentioned on the forum, but it's a must know piece of information for A2Z users).

I have no interest in Ford's adapter (if it even exists, lol).
Ford adapter works great.
Sponsored