First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT Long Range
Occupation
Road Rep
Hey guys, I know these models are fairly new but anyone heard of heat pumps we can install on our lightnings? 30F this morning which isn’t cold and range on my extended battery is just under 200 Miles. We get -13 on a regular basis up here and I can only imagine how bad this will get! My wife has the ioniq 5 and this has a heat pump. Makes a significant difference. She loses maybe 20% - 25% range in these cold temperatures (that’s with studded tires)

thanks!!
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Hey guys, I know these models are fairly new but anyone heard of heat pumps we can install on our lightnings? 30F this morning which isn’t cold and range on my extended battery is just under 200 Miles. We get -13 on a regular basis up here and I can only imagine how bad this will get! My wife has the ioniq 5 and this has a heat pump. Makes a significant difference. She loses maybe 20% - 25% range in these cold temperatures (that’s with studded tires)

thanks!!
Note that heat pumps are really only beneficial for moderate cold. they can vary a bit, but anything below ~20F to ~30F and they are just using a resistance heater anyways. Recent testing showed that the Model Y with a heat pump had the same % range loss with temperature as the Mach-e without one.

Are you preconditioning before driving?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Of limited value, as stated...

Ford F-150 Lightning Aftermarket Heat Pump options? EV range

OP
OP

2022XLTLightEBP

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT Long Range
Occupation
Road Rep
Note that heat pumps are really only beneficial for moderate cold. they can vary a bit, but anything below ~20F to ~30F and they are just using a resistance heater anyways. Recent testing showed that the Model Y with a heat pump had the same % range loss with temperature as the Mach-e without one.

Are you preconditioning before driving?
I am not. Good to know though. I’m sure I just saved a pretty penny! Guess that I will keep it plugged in over night. Would this pre condition it?

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
I am not. Good to know though. I’m sure I just saved a pretty penny! Guess that I will keep it plugged in over night. Would this pre condition it?
the car does not automatically condition other than to prevent the battery from getting critically low. To precondition you have to set a departure time in the app. You can also do a weaker form of preconditioning by remote starting the car too, though you really want to extend the start at least once for a total of 30 minutes or more.

but yeah if you look at your trip energy graph you can see how much is due to climate control. It’s not usually more than 5% for me even when it’s cold out.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
To precondition, you go into either Fordpass, or the truck main screen and set up a departure time schedule. If you are plugged in, the truck will warm up both the battery and cabin before you leave.

Also note - for winter / cold driving it is not unusual to get bigger range hits (really efficiency hits) on shorter and lower speed drives since the energy for the heater get spread over more miles the faster you drive.

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE (sold). F150L Platinum
Heating the cabin is only a portion of the range loss you experience in cold weather. Most of it is due to the cold itself, and how the battery reacts to that.

To answer your question though, no. It doesn't exist and it likely never will. Ford may move to using heat pumps in later models, but it's an expense in money and weight at little benefit.

MVO

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER

thanks!!
You should install a gasoline or diesel cab heater. They are VERY efficient and solve a big part of the problem of cold weather range...and keep you nice and warm.

Google "Espar coolant heater"

MVO

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Have a gas or diesel auxiliary heater installed.
Only burns, 200mL/hr, Will keep your cabin cozy as you'd like without having any impact on range.
Google espar coolant heater.

RichB-HTX

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
The Ford guy in charge of EVs suggests leaving the vehicle plugged in and setting up a departure time schedule which will warm the battery and the cabin to maximize cold weather range and comfort. Energy used for that will be replaced by the charger. This would no is from a video on the State of Charge YouTube channel.
Sponsored