Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
With the Amproad listed above.

You may be correct... In all fairness, when I plugged in the correct 30a adapter I didn't check the rate just saw it had fired up and was charging. Once it starts charging I put a towel over the screen and move the main part of the unit under the truck, as I don't want the extra lights at night while camping or my kids messing with it. It took me multiple camping trips to find the right 30a adapter that worked, so I've only used the 30a adapter once.
I think you'll find it only charges at 1.4kw. It seems to be a limitation of the truck on 120V. Two of my EVSEs will let me adjust the current up to 16A but the truck won't pull any more than 1.4kw (12A). The J1772 Level 1 charging standard states 16A as the maximum for L1 (120v) but it seems Ford ignores this.
It’s always been my hypothesis that the truck determines the max charge rate based on the dongle, not the voltage. I know for a fact that if you apply 240V to the Ford Mobile Charger through the 120V dongle it still charges at 12A. I fully expect that applying 120V to the 240V dongle will charge at the amperage associated with that dongle. My question in post 11 was an attempt to learn more about this.

I think Benny did indeed charge at 3+ KW on 120V. You just can’t do that if you use an L1 dongle on your EVSE.
Sponsored