• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Any way to turn off vehicle tracker in the app?

thorndike

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
Is there a way to turn off the vehicle locator on the app? I'm trying to show my teenagers that I trust them and won't be taking them.
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Yeah, I didn't think about how that would sound, but no, I'm not one of the kids. Lol

Trust is a two way street. How about leaving it on and let your teenagers show you they trust you won't look at it.

Well, may be more than two way street since Ford and every technician in every Ford dealer probably can tell where they have been.

OP
OP

thorndike

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
Trust is a two way street. How about leaving it on and let your teenagers show you they trust you won't look at it.

Well, may be more than two way street since Ford and every technician in every Ford dealer probably can tell where they have been.
You don't have teenagers do you?

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Heck no. But I love watching the show ( People remembering what they did to their parents when they were teenagers and decided to have one anyway ).

There is a setting under connectivity in the truck for sharing location. Your kid can turn it off.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I have 3 grown kids. What I would tell them, is that trust is earned and you're driving my expensive vehicle. I'll check in when I want. Don't like it? Buy your own car and pay for the insurance.

But that's just me.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
I had teenagers, and now nearing teenage grandchildren. "MY Key" is one of the greatest item in the truck. Location tracking is great too. Turn off tracking, I turn off the truck (too bad that isn't a option...) It isn't about trust - they get a brand new truck to drive and ride around.

Besides, Where are they going that you don't want me to know??

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p.s. The fact that you put 775 lb-ft of torque in something that big and heavy under control of a teenage mind should tell your kid how much you trust them.

Edit: Two of my teenage cousins died in one car crash. Please make sure you really do trust your kid. Someone else's kid in a Prius could be in their path.

Last edited:

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Unless it has improved over the last 18 months, I'm not sure what they are worried about. It is slow to respond and wasn't always correct. I quit even trying to use it.

I would also agree with @Pioneer74 - my truck, I'll watch what I want.

And since I like to continue to drag Tesla into the conversations, Tesla has made an update and now if someone from the app is watching the car they add a phone "icon" to the screen so you know someone is checking on the car. You can also remotely view the cars cameras with the app, including the internal camera if the car is locked and unoccupied. If unlocked or at least occupied, they do stop there, you can't view the internal camera.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Have two boys, no longer teenagers. Never would have let then take either EV. Too much power. Use MyKey.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
No you can't and no you shouldn't.

It's absolutely insane to turn the built in tracking off to show trust in your teenage kids. Not to mention that it's a great safety feature and anti theft device.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Your truck your your rules. They want to drive it? They do it by your rules. They don’t like it? Cool They don’t have to drive it.
These are children we’re talking about, and that’s an incredibly powerful and expensive toy you’ve got. Trust? You’re letting them drive it is trust enough.
Not only have I never turned off any of the location features, but I have Life360 installed on my kids phone as well. Which lets me know not only where they are at any given moment but their exact speed, and if they’ve done any hard braking or acceleration. The world is a great place, but it can also be a dangerous one. Every generation seems to have tougher than the generation before, and this one is no different. There’s a lot of trouble to be had. I’m sure a lot of us feel lucky that we made it out of our own teens alive.
good luck

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
MyKey is your friend [RTM, Page 78 MY23]

Note the control limits don't discuss the vehicle tracking features, but there are plenty of other options to encourage young drivers to operate the truck safely.

Last edited:

DiveMan911

First Name
R.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Acura TL, '13 Ford Escape
I just wanted to throw this out there...I believe the OP question was...
Is there a way to turn off the vehicle locator on the app?
I'll be honest, I don't have the answer, but it appears Maxx does:

There is a setting under connectivity in the truck for sharing location. Your kid can turn it off.
What I don't think he asked for was unsolicited parenting advice. I 'm confident the OP has given more than just an ounce of thought to the ramifications to letting his kids drive his truck. I think the question he asked was fair and didn't necessitate all the extra advice.

Just my observation.
Sponsored