Sponsored

Are extended warranties generally worth it?

samskeys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning XLT 2023 SR Equipment Group 311A
I am a very happy owner of a 2023 Lightning I purchased 5 months ago. I didn't purchase an extended warrantee because I thought there were so few moving parts and even if I did, I'd want to shop around. So I'm just wondering on people's general opinion on their necessity for Lightnings specifically. And if you DO think they are a must, it looks like Grainger might be the most popular. Correct? This is the first NEW car I've ever owned so I've never even considered an extended warranty before. I know the battery is covered for a good amount of time already... Thoughts?
I did some searching of other threads but if there is already one like this please point me in that direction also.
Thanks!
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Dozens of threads.

Are they worth it? No.

Battery warranty cannot be extended.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Agree that there are lots of thread where everyone has voiced their own opinions. There is no right or wrong answer, only someone's opinion. They aren't worth it to Rick, they are worth it to me.
Ford = Fix Or Repair Daily
I bought peace of mind.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
So many other systems in the truck beside the powertrain that could fail, I plan to keep this truck through the powertrain coverage, so I bought coverage for 8 years or 125,000 miles, peace of mind camp. YMMV

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
The house wins on average. Chances are the warranty will not pay for itself. But saving money isn't the only reason people buy them. Sometimes it's for the "don't give af" if something goes wrong. I had the warranty on my last truck and when the sunroof module broke my thought was "guess I'll go take it in soon." It would have cost me $2,300, which was more than I paid for the warranty.

I think that the warranties from Granger and the other online dealers are a good enough value that I don't see why not. It may increase resale value if you sell to a private party (warranty is transferrable), and if you trade you can get a prorated refund. There's a whole lot of expensive parts in our trucks that aren't the battery.

Tfarrell73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23Lightning Lariat ER in production, 17 GMC Sierra
I had a LED fog lamp go out on my GMC 1500. Dealer wanted 1k to replace 6 months out of warranty. I purchased Grainger w/lamp coverage. 1 repair and I break even on cost. This truck can not be repaired by my local shop
Sponsored