• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Auto Mode for A/C not working correctly

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Tesla Model S
Ok, so I have been in my Lightning now for 2+ years. This summer, I have not driven much due to work and personal travel, but bing in Houston, I noticed that the A/C is not blowing hard when it is 95+ Degrees outside and the interior is a sauna. in the past, it would put itself in MAX A/C mode until it reached a reasonable temperature and would continue to blow at a high rate, so I would need to put it in Auto Medium mode. Of late(actually not sure of timing), I have seen the A/C be slow to start when getting in, then it blows softly and never cools the cabing. I have to change to manual mode to get it to blow at full speed.

I noticed yesterday when driving, the car picked up my wife's profile, and the AC was blowing a bit harder, all be it, not at full speed, but bettter. I realized that her mode was in medium for Auto, when I moved it to High, the fan speed went down.

Anyway, anyone else seeing an issue with Auto mode for A/C? I will be dropping it off at the dealer Thursday for some CSPs, but will have them look at this as well.
Sponsored

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Does the air get cold? Auto will adjust the fan speed and the air temperature based on algorithms. But if you put it on manual, set the temp all the way cold, and turn the fan down slow, is the air cold? My only initial thought is that if the a/c isn't cooling properly (air leaving the evaporator isn't as cold as it should be) then auto might act wonky as it tries to cool the cabin the best it can. There could be issues with sensors too. Or maybe that's just the way it decides to work, but I haven't had that experience. I do notice that it's slow to come on after turning the truck on, but it's just a few seconds.

Warp Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Engineer
There was an update some time ago that affected the "Auto" behavior in both my Lightning and my wife's Mach-E, and both of our vehicles show the behavior you describe. Other than manually adjusting things as you state, the only other workaround I have found is to just set the temperature very low and turn on "Max A/C" mode for a few minutes when it is not cooling the cabin sufficiently. There is plenty of cooling capacity in "Max A/C" mode, so it is not a hardware issue but something in the "Auto" software algorithm.

Unfortunately I do not know which update it was. It was sometime before summer, but I did not notice the difference until summer started. I suspect it was the HVAC update that was supposed to help in cold weather, but I have no way to confirm that.

OP
OP
flypony53

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Tesla Model S
Likely, I do not know the release as I did not notice it until summer either. I actually thought it was related to iOS 18 and CarPlay as I downloaded the Beta early in June when it was released. But, I tried disconnecting my phone and it did not get better.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Send a feedback report via the Sync screen.

Sponsored

NCevGuyF150

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford lightning
Occupation
Repair technician
Ok, so I have been in my Lightning now for 2+ years. This summer, I have not driven much due to work and personal travel, but bing in Houston, I noticed that the A/C is not blowing hard when it is 95+ Degrees outside and the interior is a sauna. in the past, it would put itself in MAX A/C mode until it reached a reasonable temperature and would continue to blow at a high rate, so I would need to put it in Auto Medium mode. Of late(actually not sure of timing), I have seen the A/C be slow to start when getting in, then it blows softly and never cools the cabing. I have to change to manual mode to get it to blow at full speed.

I noticed yesterday when driving, the car picked up my wife's profile, and the AC was blowing a bit harder, all be it, not at full speed, but bettter. I realized that her mode was in medium for Auto, when I moved it to High, the fan speed went down.

Anyway, anyone else seeing an issue with Auto mode for A/C? I will be dropping it off at the dealer Thursday for some CSPs, but will have them look at this as well.
Yes, I have also noticed that this system does not work at all like the one in my gas powered lariat it seems like Auto isn’t really Auto

BBB

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f250, focus, cmax energy.
Occupation
retired

Sounds like a problem i had that Ford finally fixed by replacing the head end unit. Mine started like what you describe then got to the point that it would not work and then for no reason it would go full blast and freeze you out and nothing you could do would control it.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
Sponsored