First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
while some will appreciate some type of 'chart', this does in no way take into consideration: driving habits, speed, terrain, weight, other weather conditions, WIND, etc... it's amusing that there tries to be a 'standard' for EV range, but it's not possible. And, it never will be. It's never been that way for any other type of vehicle, either. There are too many factors to 'assume' that certain numbers are what you can bank on, or even PLAN on. Even a gas vehicle that 'averages' 20mph over 1,000 miles, historically, has little to no bearing on 'this trip'... it's only a starting point, but all the other conditions will be the final determining factor.
Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
while some will appreciate some type of 'chart', this does in no way take into consideration: driving habits, speed, terrain, weight, other weather conditions, WIND, etc... it's amusing that there tries to be a 'standard' for EV range, but it's not possible. And, it never will be. It's never been that way for any other type of vehicle, either. There are too many factors to 'assume' that certain numbers are what you can bank on, or even PLAN on. Even a gas vehicle that 'averages' 20mph over 1,000 miles, historically, has little to no bearing on 'this trip'... it's only a starting point, but all the other conditions will be the final determining factor.
I put that chart together simply to help serve as a "Troy McClure style Starter Guide" for any newbies that bitched about their GOM DTE on this forum. It is simply an estimate/guideline.... Trying to quickly communicate to them the 2 biggest factors on MPK and thus Range. Speed & Temp.

Are there a lot of other variables yes, but Speed and Temp are the most common and largest effects.

Mmiketa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
I put that chart together simply to help serve as a "Troy McClure style Starter Guide" for any newbies that bitched about their GOM DTE on this forum. It is simply an estimate/guideline.... Trying to quickly communicate to them the 2 biggest factors on MPK and thus Range. Speed & Temp.

Are there a lot of other variables yes, but Speed and Temp are the most common and largest effects.
Anecdotally, the chart seems to line up with my real world usage.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
In a bit over a year of owning the truck and tracking my mi/kWh from the start, Iā€™m averaging 2.2.

My overall driving habits are probably 60% around town and 40% highway, but highway traffic rarely lets me get up to ideal speed. When it does, I donā€™t think twice about running 75~80 MPH or whatever as the truck loves to run. It has the aerodynamic qualities of the finest bricks, so at 75+MPH, the efficiency goes down the drain.

The Ford / EPA range guesstimate is based off of a 2.5 mi/kWh efficiencyā€¦. So not unrealistic, just assuming way more city driving than most of us do and probably assuming most of us cruise perfectly flat highways at 55MPH. While my average has been 2.2 mi/kWh, I was actually averaging 2.4 as of the end of summer. Cold definitely has its impact. But also shows that the ideal estimate for this truck is not far off of reality if conditions are ideal.

Weā€™ve been EV owners for 8 years ā€” on our second Tesla (2020 MY LR Dual Motor) and the ā€˜23 Lariat ER. One of the big things I tell new EV owners is donā€™t bother with charging to 100%. Never worth it. Even with ideal temperatures, the amount of efficiency loss in charging that last 10% is crazy high and then you donā€™t get a full 10% more because it bleeds off and dissipates faster while driving with little accounting for where it goes. I get it that just before a longer road trip, if you just need that extra 15-ish miles and can top off just before leaving, thatā€™s one thing. Otherwise, itā€™s a complete waste.

Same thing with DCFC on longer trips. My charging target is typically 80 to 85 %. The charge rate really slows down as you get to 80% and as long as your next stop is within range of arriving with 25%, itā€™s not worth the extra time charging. Too many new EV owners with range anxiety feel they need to get to that 90% before heading on their wayā€¦. But you can save yourself hours on the trip by not doing so. As we get access to Teslaā€™s charging network, that is going to make a huge difference in charger availability and overall confidence levels with charging on road trips.

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot
Ford F-150 Lightning Baffled and looking for advice, range vs plans 1707495485595

One of the members used this. I like the MPK because that is what you will be getting with the weather, just take 80% of whatever you get with MPK and that will be your DTE. So, 80% of 235.8 will be 188 DTE at 1.8 MPK. You can use that as how far can I go then monitor your distance used to keep track of how many miles you have left....just don't refer to the GOM to make you believe how many miles you have left. Mental math deriving from the 188 DTE is more accurate
Sponsored