• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Best YouTube / Netflix (Magicbox)

4trees

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Cannabis Facility Design - 4trees Cannabis Building Ltd
I wanted to start a thread to discuss the best Magicbox type tool for allowing the lightning to play YouTube and Netflix.

I am looking to buy one for my 2024 Lightning and want to get the best one that’s compatible.

Any recommendations would be appreciated
Sponsored

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
EDIT READ BELOW...

Last edited:

KennyB123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
I have the newest Carlinkit and while not perfect, (freezes every once in awhile) it's pretty awesome.

Almost zero audio lag, which was my biggest prerequisite.

I don't watch video while I drive, but I enjoy the full screen YouTube music app while playing tunes.

It works with Netflix, prime, Disney+... Pretty much everything.

I think I had to side load Max, but I don't have an active subscription to that anymore.

Android Auto Wireless Adapter CarlinKit 3 in 1 Ai Box Only for Wired CarPlay Touch Screen Cars, Support Android 13.0 System Wireless CarPlay Android Auto Youtube Netflix GPS+Glonass 4GNetwork(8G+128G) https://a.co/d/j5k1R8B

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I have the carlinkit also, although I assume mine is a little older as I got it last year. I know I've seen some on aliexpress for cheaper and they're probably the same thing. I've put on videos from plex while driving so the kids can be entertained, only thing I don't like is that carplay doesn't go full screen for me like android auto does. I think that is just an updated needed on the carlinkit, but I'm not sure.

Sponsored

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
I have had the stream to your car Elite and it was total trash, i bought it December 2022 for my Lightning for $300. The software seemed ok but the processor and memory was to slow, really it was unusable so I stopped using it when Ford gave us the YouTube app and that was hit and miss also. That $300 heart me so I gave up on trying to find another one to take my money, until this year I started researching again and fathers day was coming up you and my kids got it for me.
I have the CarLinkit Android 13.0 Carplay AI box. This box works great and runs all the Apps from the Android store that I needed except for Kodi. even some I was supersized that they ran like DirecTV and my security camera apps Ring and Wyze camera app. They have another version with a HDMI out so you can hook up to a TV which I can use at an Airbnb, just get a Bluetooth mouse or remote and hookup to WIFI hotspot on your phone and its like your at home with all your media available. I have done this with my nvidia shield but this little box would be easier and with me already.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
I have had the stream to your car Elite and it was total trash, i bought it December 2022 for my Lightning for $300. The software seemed ok but the processor and memory was to slow, really it was unusable so I stopped using it when Ford gave us the YouTube app and that was hit and miss also. That $300 heart me so I gave up on trying to find another one to take my money, until this year I started researching again and fathers day was coming up you and my kids got it for me.
I have the CarLinkit Android 13.0 Carplay AI box. This box works great and runs all the Apps from the Android store that I needed except for Kodi. even some I was supersized that they ran like DirecTV and my security camera apps Ring and Wyze camera app. They have another version with a HDMI out so you can hook up to a TV which I can use at an Airbnb, just get a Bluetooth mouse or remote and hookup to WIFI hotspot on your phone and its like your at home with all your media available. I have done this with my nvidia shield but this little box would be easier and with me already.
Also the CarLinkit boots up fast so I leave it hooked up all the time and is the first thing I see. It also turns off when the Truck is off, the stream to your car Elite had a red light on even when the truck was off so I unplugged it.

Buio

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Mode YP 2023 I. silver lightning LR ER
Occupation
cabinets
FYI , the Carlink3 linked above has a $104 off coupon. regularly $319 , now $215 . pre-tax

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
I have the carlinkit also, although I assume mine is a little older as I got it last year. I know I've seen some on aliexpress for cheaper and they're probably the same thing. I've put on videos from plex while driving so the kids can be entertained, only thing I don't like is that carplay doesn't go full screen for me like android auto does. I think that is just an updated needed on the carlinkit, but I'm not sure.
Do you have Android 12 ? I have 13 and both Android and Carplay are full screen. I tried it on my Wife C40, it boots up and calculates the screen size and auto reboots to the correct size.
You can update firmware here.

https://www.carlinkit.com/download.html

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
One thing I can think of bad is talk to text in google maps search doesn't work. I've been threw all the settings but no go..

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I took a chance on a unbranded Android Box from Aliexpress. It has all the same specs and OS as Carlinkit (QC6225 chip, 8gb ram, 128gb, Android 13). Is it the best? I don't have much else to compare, but it's snappy and I have had no issues with it. It's also 1/3 the price. You just need to select the NA one (North America). I have, of course, no affiliation with this company.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256807298551970.html

If you search at AliExpress (which I hate using in general), you can find a bunch of these units.

Is this unit copying someone elses work? Probably, I do feel guilty about that.

KennyB123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
One thing I can think of bad is talk to text in google maps search doesn't work. I've been threw all the settings but no go..
Works for me, it requests access to the microphone and then it works.

It seems to lose access to the microphone and GPS every few weeks, likely after an app update, so I have to regrant access.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Works for me, it requests access to the microphone and then it works.

It seems to lose access to the microphone and GPS every few weeks, likely after an app update, so I have to regrant access.
Mine usually ask for access every time but still didn't work, but today I tried it and the voice worked 🤷🏾‍♂️.
Another thing is maps doesn't pinch to zoom at all does yours?

KennyB123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Another thing is maps doesn't pinch to zoom at all does yours?
No pinch to zoom. Can be frustrating. It's almost like the device can't detect two fingers on the screen, even though we know our sync 4a screen certainly can.

OP
OP
4trees

4trees

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Cannabis Facility Design - 4trees Cannabis Building Ltd
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! - I just got the Binize Wireless Carplay unit on Amazon ($80 off coupon right now) because another lightning owner on this forum had excellent results.

It's a gamechanger, I strongly recommend this thing. It transformed the infotainment system, much more than I anticipated. I have my project management software on my truck now (Monday.com), games, Disney, Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, Prime the whole 9 yards. I could even stream my Xbox series X if I wanted to get crazy. I'll post some stuff soon on it.
Sponsored