Sponsored

Broken rear tail light (my fault) - instructions on how to move BIS sensor to new tail light

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
The dealer gave me a "quote" (part number only...) of NL3Z-13405-H - SOPLAMP A for $2,158.87 plus tax. It's not even a complete quote with labor...

The radar sensor is fine. I'm hoping to just transfer that into a replacement plastic housing. The dealer wants to replace the entire assembly instead of a replacement of the plastic =(

Searching that part number on the ford parts website comes back with
Tail Light. Lamp - Left, Rear (Bev).
Taillamps Level 8. On Board Scale.
MSRP $2,023.20
No photos​

I'm finding an eBay option of $1,747.52 for NL3Z-13405-H. The other side (right side) part number NL3Z-13404-H is on eBay for $638. That's still a lot. Cheaper than my deductible, but it's the wrong side.

That's a lot of money for a hunk of plastic. Which vehicles use this part, just the lightning? Wondering what the cheapest option for a new plastic housing is. If it's just the lightning, there's probably not many in the scrap yard yet to salvage parts from.
Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
That's a lot of money for a hunk of plastic. Which vehicles use this part, just the lightning? Wondering what the cheapest option for a new plastic housing is. If it's just the lightning, there's probably not many in the scrap yard yet to salvage parts from.
Just the Lightning and there are two different styles - one for Pro/XLT, the other for Lariat/Platinum. The Pro/XLT has an always visible reverse light. The Lariat/Platinum has a reverse light that is only visible with the tailgate down. They are not interchaneable since the tailgates are physically different on those trims.

You need to read this thread also to understand the differences and part numbers. I bought a passenger side off eBay. The first didn't work (it hyperflashed), but the second one was perfect. About $650.

OP
OP
ericpullen

ericpullen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning & 22 Mach-E

EV Vancouver

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
Occupation
Between Opportunities
So I’m an idiot and backed into my garbage can against my garage and it shattered my tail light.
8CA9CF52-66B9-46E9-A22D-28170FDDF4E3.jpeg

I looked up the part of parts.ford.com and it shows 13404 as the part number, but wasn’t sure if that was the same as the ICE F-150 (I suspect not). Either way it’s on back order from the dealer, so was hoping to find the full part number and search around for equivalents. Anyone know how to find the full part number for it?

Update:
I have replaced the tail light, and I document how to move the BIS system in this post.
I just did the same thing. Wow this part is expensive any help with where you got yours?

OP
OP
ericpullen

ericpullen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning & 22 Mach-E
Just search on eBay for “ford Lightning tail lights 2022” and you should see plenty of listing.

The biggest thing you have to worry about is making sure you get the appropriate one for your model. Lariat/Platinum have the indentation around the reverse light and the XLT does not.

Sponsored

Denbo

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Professor
Hello,
I posted on a thread regarding replacing my tail light for my Lariat recently. Yeah, bone head move called Jack-Knifing a trailer. My advise is take off the tailight and look at the part number which is readily visible on the inside. It's very easy to pop out, a few screws, take you 5 minutes. You need the whole tail light as you will continue to have moisture issues with the BLIS module. Dealer wanted to charge me $3500 to replace. I got a new one on eBay with the BLIS. I switched my old BLIS with the new one with no luck and still got the Blind Spot and Cross Traffic faults. I got the dongle and was ready to download Forscan, and then got cold feet. Took the truck to the dealer and they swapped the BLIS with the new one I purchased claiming the old one had moisture damage. I'm skeptical about the moisture issue and wonder how you can tell on the module? When I opened the case with module, there was no moisture. Anyway dealer charged me $260, brand new tail light with BLIS cost me $750. So, I "saved" $2500! Not sure if anyone would want to have a try with my old module, but happy to ship it out. If it works, send me a donation made out to "Jack-Knife Knuckle Head Foundation"

Tundra

First Name
MATH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2012 Honda Civic
Occupation
Audio Engineer
I made a series of errors:

Mistake 1: I put my kayak bed extender in the truck bed, and forgot to take it out, before going to work.
Mistake 2: When I got to work and opened the bed to start loading subs, I saw I had something in the bed, and I rested it up against the tailgate instead of placing it on the ground, you know where it would not have potential energy to damage things. :cool:
Mistake 3: When I was loading something in the bed I did not hold the bed extender with my other hand.

Needless to say my bed extender flipped over and crunch it smashed a round .5" hole in the taillight.

Ford F-150 Lightning Broken rear tail light (my fault) - instructions on how to move BIS sensor to new tail light D'oh!

While I was waiting for my Ebay part, I E-taped over the hole to try and keep the moisture at bay. Murphy's law the intervening 1.5 weeks has been the rainiest in memory - constant downpours, storms, and lots of wet driving.

Put the new part in today, and swapped the old sensor module in - no errors or hyperflash and works like new, I am thankful that the E-Tape kept things dry, and for the how to instructions on this thread.

Also if anyone needs a BLIS sensor virgo intacta, let me know and I can send it your way!

JRR

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford f150 lightning
I also backed into something and broke only the plastic cover on the passenger side rear taillight. The light itself was not damaged and functioned normally. Just had it replaced at the dealer for total cost of $3000. Apparently the entire light assembly must be replaced if the plastic cove is broken. I think Ford should be able to figure out a more cost effective way to replace this cover and make it seal water tight.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
NO NO NO! That is the part for the Pro and XLT, it doesn't have the cutout for the swedge that juts out on the Lariat and Platinum tailgates! It will fit into the recess and connect up fine, but the tailgate will not close.
Yes, make sure you buy the correct model. The Pro/XLT is different than the Lariat/Platinum.
Sponsored