• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can full size tire be stored under the truck in place of the factory spare tire?

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
I guess ford has removed this problem since the new trucks have no spare lol.

Did anyone figure out if a spare 20” wheel and tire would fit under the truck?
Sponsored

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Serious question here - please don't laugh too hard.

I've never had to use the spare on any of the modern F150s I've owned, but I've just come by a single standard 18" wheel at an attractive price, and I thought I might set myself up with a full size spare when I replace my tires in a few thousand miles (I'll just use the removed tire that is in the best condition as the spare).

Should I have a key of some kind for this "spare tire lock" on my 2022? I have literally no idea where it is, if so... Oops.

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
I was at the dealer yesterday and looking at the 2024 Flash. The salesperson saw me looking at the spare and I asked him where the lock was, since it’s still machined for the locking cylinder. The salesman was totally clueless when I asked about a lock.

Has anyone installed locking lug nuts on their factory wheels?
Out here Tesla are being put on blocks and stealing their very expensive wheels. Why Tesla didn’t add a $50.00 set of wheel locks when this has been going on for years here.
Rick

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I was at the dealer yesterday and looking at the 2024 Flash. The salesperson saw me looking at the spare and I asked him where the lock was, since it’s still machined for the locking cylinder. The salesman was totally clueless when I asked about a lock.

Has anyone installed locking lug nuts on their factory wheels?
Out here Tesla are being put on blocks and stealing their very expensive wheels. Why Tesla didn’t add a $50.00 set of wheel locks when this has been going on for years here.
Rick
I have Gorilla wheel locks on my Lariat wheels.

Wheel locks aren't infallible. All you need is a socket that will fit snuggly over it and a hammer to defeat them.

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
I have Gorilla wheel locks on my Lariat wheels.

Wheel locks aren't infallible. All you need is a socket that will fit snuggly over it and a hammer to defeat them.
All of which makes noise and takes time. Possibly even 4 sockets as it's not going to be easy or quick to go wheel to wheel with the same socket..

Noise and time are not a thief's MO.

Rick

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
So just 'cause I had time and it was a nice day here, I jacked up the truck (2023 XLT Option 312A) and switched out the OEM spare temp use wheel with its full-size 20-inch wheel. And then back...

I confirm that the OEM 20 inch wheel + tire fit in the spare wheel mount.

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
I hadn't really been concerned about this until now, but I upgraded to 35" tires, so I'm SOL if something happens lol
Sponsored