• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge rate dropping by 50% randomly

ktom

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightening, model Y
Occupation
Self employed
This is a new behavior. Past month is when it started. I can't say it is due to an update but it would seem to be that.

We have a tesla, that charger was installed first. To charge the truck I usually use the 30 amp dryer plug that ford provided when i purchased the truck. I have an adapter to use the NACS (tesla) charger to the j1772 form the truck uses.

I initially noticed this with the plug in charger from ford. The app would say it's charging at a 6kw rate. Then for some reason, it changes then says it changes to 3kw rate. It stays that way until I unplug it from the truck and plug it back in.

I tried the tesla charger next. I use it occasionally if I need faster charging. The app says it is charging at a 10kw rate initially. At some point, the app changes and says it is charging at a 5kw rate. The tesla charger will display 1 red light on the charger but continue to charge at the reduced rate. I have yet to find out what that means even though I have searched. It too, will recover after unplugging and re plugging in.

Had anyone else experienced this? Better yet, how to prevent this?

Thanks
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Have you received any error notifications? Either in the truck or on FordPass?
Do you have an OBDII reader to verify the charge rate?
It possible there might be a hardware issue with the AC charger in the truck. Have you tried DCFC since this started happening? If you can, try to log how long it take before it cuts the charge rate. Might help if/when it comes time for Ford to diagnose the problem. Sorry that happening to you.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Agree with Zprime. You need to check codes. Probably either a charge port or internal charger problem.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Last week I was charging with my Emporia wall charger. It's set on 40a, and I looked in the apps (Emporia and FordPass) during a charge and saw that it had dropped to 20a. Never had done that before. I plugged in the Ford mobile charger and finished the charge at its rate of 30a. It didn't drop.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the wall charger got hot. It's in my garage and it was likely 90 degrees in there. But I don't know if that behavior is something Emporia programs it chargers to do. I might reach out to them and see what they say.

Since it charged fine on the Ford mobile charger, I'm not sure it's something with the truck. Oh, and as a precaution when I plugged in the mobile charger I put a little fan next to it. Last night I used the Emporia again and all was well, but I did point the fan at it during the charge.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Your dryer outlet may be worn out and causing heat issues in the connector thus reducing charge rate.
As far as the Tesla box, how many blinks on the red light?

You could have electrical issues in your home or in the truck ac system itself.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: