• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging: DC Fast Charger won't go beyond 90%

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
hi

looking for some experienced users who have found that the Charge Window says you can 'One Time' set your charge
to 100%, yet the DC Fast Charger cuts off at 90%, and no matter if you reset the 'One Time' setting, it continues to do the
same...

I'm missing something, and can't figure out why it is not allowing the charge beyond it's 'set' 90% on the Charge Window screen.
Sponsored

OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
it charged to 100% last night, ready for a trip, but at today's ChargePoint/Ga Power DC Fast Charger, I can't for the life of me figure out the 'settings' in the CHARGE WINDOW - it gives a 'scrolling charge percentage' BAR, yet it does nothing. I don't know where the 'set' 90% came from, it seems you should be able to set it to any value you wish - but I'm not seeing how.

It says the 'One Time' charge percentage can be set at any charge moment, even while currently charging, but will reset to the 'normal charge' percentage after this next charge session, to what I assume what it's showing on the Charge Scrolling bar, but it still immediately kicks off the DC Fast Charger and won't progress.

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
hi

looking for some experienced users who have found that the Charge Window says you can 'One Time' set your charge
to 100%, yet the DC Fast Charger cuts off at 90%, and no matter if you reset the 'One Time' setting, it continues to do the
same...

I'm missing something, and can't figure out why it is not allowing the charge beyond it's 'set' 90% on the Charge Window screen.

That just happened to me.

I took the charger back in the holster, shut off the lightning, turned it back on, then chose that one time option to 100%, then plugged it back in, and by then the communication between the truck and the station seemed to get on the same track with going over 90%, and the charging continued beyond 90%.

Unfortunately I just didnā€™t have the time to wait to get to 100% because the rate of charge was so slow over 90% (which I know is by design to protect the battery).

Iā€™m hoping next time I need to do the 90% override that Iā€™ll figure out the routine better, because my work around probably wasnā€™t the way itā€™s supposed to be done šŸ˜‰

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
it charged to 100% last night, ready for a trip, but at today's ChargePoint/Ga Power DC Fast Charger, I can't for the life of me figure out the 'settings' in the CHARGE WINDOW - it gives a 'scrolling charge percentage' BAR, yet it does nothing. I don't know where the 'set' 90% came from, it seems you should be able to set it to any value you wish - but I'm not seeing how.

It says the 'One Time' charge percentage can be set at any charge moment, even while currently charging, but will reset to the 'normal charge' percentage, I assume what it's showing on the Charge Scrolling bar, but it still immediately kicks off the DC Fast Charger and won't progress.
Connect Charge Pro app to Ford Pass. You can set charge rate and max with them. I use 90% but will try 95% next time. I haven't used the one time max in the Ford vehicle settings charge screen yet.
Cool temps last night allowed 80 amp charge rate with no amber reduction light.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If you're DC charging, you don't use the app to set a charge limit. You simply monitor charging, then go and push the button next to the handle (or on the screen in the car), to end the session. You can also end the session in the FordPass app.

I highly recommend NOT ending the session on the DC charger itself. This will often throw an error in the vehicle.

If you're AC charging at home, or around town, once you use a charger one-time you can set hours and charging limit. Make sure you then select "Use preferred charge settings", not "charge when plugged in".

If you want the AC charging to go to a higher level, say the evening before a trip, you can simply hit Charge to 100%.

Sponsored
OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
just connected the Ford App and found that it shows a way to 'continue' a session or even 'charge to 100%' option, and after a few more 'truck off/on' and the DC Charger resets and restarts with my ChargePoint app, it finally started charging about 90%.... a while to 100%, but as a test I wanted to make sure it worked - $8.50 from 90% to 100%.

Fryballin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat 511A Iced Blue, Max Tow
Do the preferred charging times only apply to the set charge locations? So you donā€™t need to change these preferred settings to ā€œanytimeā€ when going on a trip and DC fast charging several times I assume right?

OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
they 'should' only apply to a set location, such as 'HOME', which brings me to my second conundrum today: arrived home and plugged in to the Ford Mobile CHarger - but, nothing.

o.k, then I noticed that the truck's screen said: "finished charging at 4:30am ..." HUNH???

Here's two things that did not make it easy to figure out what was going on:

The Ford Mobile Charger, unlike others, gives you NOT MUCH indication that anything is happening, and it certainly does not give you any AMPERAGE in use - I could not tell if it was charging, or not.

I had turned 'off' the truck's Charge Port 'light ring'. I felt like right off I would not be needing it. WRONG. If you don't have that on, you'll not know it's charging.

So, the real answer was that when I arrive home, it saw that I was 'home', and, due to the set 11pm charging schedule, it simply did nothing when I plugged in. I pushed the 'center' of the light ring to see if that would override the schedule, but no, it's just not that easy. You have to go into that 'schedule' and change it to 'all hours'(which would be a heck-of-a-lot simply if you just a single button to toggle 'always on', but you have to show 'all hours', or it won't start charging.
Sometime the engineering is designed with good options in mind, but sometimes that make it too hard to do SIMPLE things.
If I want to override the 'schedule', it should be simple, easy, and fast....

I also had to turn the 'light ring' back on so I could be assured it was charging - there's little on the truck's screen to tell you that anything is happening.

Ford, please don't overcomplicate things...many of us current and previous EV owners have never had such issues with charging. Make it SIMPLE>

kenfaber62

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford f150 STX
Occupation
retired
This may sound silly, but who knows this could be your problem. When you set the one-time charge limit to the setting you want... be sure to hit the SAVE button.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Do the preferred charging times only apply to the set charge locations? So you donā€™t need to change these preferred settings to ā€œanytimeā€ when going on a trip and DC fast charging several times I assume right?
Preferred charge times and limits (except for a ā€œone time limitā€) can only be applied to saved charge locations. These settings do not apply to DCFC.

Sponsored

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
If you're DC charging, you don't use the app to set a charge limit. You simply monitor charging, then go and push the button next to the handle (or on the screen in the car), to end the session. You can also end the session in the FordPass app.

I highly recommend NOT ending the session on the DC charger itself. This will often throw an error in the vehicle.

If you're AC charging at home, or around town, once you use a charger one-time you can set hours and charging limit. Make sure you then select "Use preferred charge settings", not "charge when plugged in".

If you want the AC charging to go to a higher level, say the evening before a trip, you can simply hit Charge to 100%.
Thanks for that explanation- just got my Lightning XLT yesterday and set it to 90% for home AC charging.

F150_lightning

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning Lariat ER
The manual really hates on DC charging... is there any truth behind this? Is everyone still using DC charging?

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging:  DC Fast Charger won't go beyond 90% Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 10.14.24 AM

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
The manual really hates on DC charging... is there any truth behind this? Is everyone still using DC charging?

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 10.14.24 AM.png
Manual assumes that you should not charge constantly / frequently with DCFC, hence the 80% number.

There are times long drives require 100% charge on the road.
Sponsored