• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

DC Fast Charging lack of info

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I find the whole ethos around Ford software to be awful, no more awful then lots of others but awful none the less. Yup, I'm old and yearn for the early days of the internet when everything wasn't about collecting personal data to sell you crap.

I didn't accept the latest Terms and Conditions for the app so I suppose I'll just have to hop in the truck and drive it like every other vehicle I've ever driven for the last 47 years. Honestly, I would like to use new tech but, for me, the cost is just to high.
Sponsored

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Same here with the 10 different apps. Although I use them more so to retain my rate discounts since FordPass won't discount the rate when you just plug in; even with an active membership.

Etsquared

First Name
ET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
Retired
I'm not a road tripper, but I like to be ready for stuff, you know, just in case. So I just had to try DC fast charging. My first DC fast charging session was at a EA charging station located in Globe AZ. Fairly small only 3 or 4 plugs but I was the only one using the facility so it didn't matter. Followed the directions on the charger screen and everything worked great. I only added about 7.9 kWh since this was just a test for me and I had enough charge to get home. The truck didn't tell me squat about what was happening, the charger was my only information source. But hey, I got a notification in FordPass after the fact that my charging bundle had been reduced by 7.9 kWh.

Then I received my A2Z adapter the other day and decided to try a local (20 miles away) v3 supercharger. CarPlay navigated me to the charging location because Ford nav had no clue a useable charger was located there. Got to the location and attached the adapter. Hardest thing about that was locking the adapter and the charging handle together. Tesla app wanted my billing address updated for some reason, I had added that the other day, so gave up on that app at least for that session. FordPass was useless since it didn't show a charger anyway, so I tried plug and charge, it worked. I left the truck on since I wanted the A/C to work the truck showed Fast Charging in orange on the big screen, no other indication I was charging, how fast I was charging etc. However, SOC was updating and I had set a 60% charge limit that appeared to work. In the end, FordPass had a notification that I had been charged $6.88 for the session.

Lack of real time information in my truck especially when using plug and charge is pretty awful. Just my $.02 as a newb to this DC thing.
Tried something similar by testing DC charging at EA flawless for me as well. Kudos to Ford in allowing Tesla to hook up their charging stations as well. When I get my adapter I intend on doing exactly what you did. Seems like sharing successfully executed tests with the rest of Ford family owners out there the best way to help everyone out

Etsquared

First Name
ET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
Retired
I find the whole ethos around Ford software to be awful, no more awful then lots of others but awful none the less. Yup, I'm old and yearn for the early days of the internet when everything wasn't about collecting personal data to sell you crap.

I didn't accept the latest Terms and Conditions for the app so I suppose I'll just have to hop in the truck and drive it like every other vehicle I've ever driven for the last 47 years. Honestly, I would like to use new tech but, for me, the cost is just to high.
63 years old and never used or worked on a computer after working on F4 phantoms in the USAF.Honestly the new app doesn’t take much time investment to see the progress Ford is making to make ease of technology reachable for us elders. Did love my ‘96 ranger five speed stick I bought new for 10k it was simple a workhorse and fun. But this lightning is changing my mind about tech complexity

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
63 years old and never used or worked on a computer after working on F4 phantoms in the USAF.Honestly the new app doesn’t take much time investment to see the progress Ford is making to make ease of technology reachable for us elders. Did love my ‘96 ranger five speed stick I bought new for 10k it was simple a workhorse and fun. But this lightning is changing my mind about tech complexity
I do database programming all day long (still use vi/gvim though). I can see the value but I'm not in any hurry to provide all that info to Ford. I mean I've rooted my phone and installed a firewall to block traffic for apps, adway (which created a 4 MB hosts file with 125,000 entries) to block server crosstalk, File Manager to block low level permissions like fine location access and sending info to Google, Akamai etc and my network traffic goes through a VPN installed on the router and I have my own domains and email service. No tinfoil beanies ... yet!!

I like tech but I feel it's being "abused" and, not to get political, this country really has nothing akin to GPC in the EU or even what California has for privacy controls. All tools can be used and abused so I'm not railing against anything, just not willing to feed the information hogs.

Sponsored

Etsquared

First Name
ET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
Retired
I do database programming all day long (still use vi/gvim though). I can see the value but I'm not in any hurry to provide all that info to Ford. I mean I've rooted my phone and installed a firewall to block traffic for apps, adway (which created a 4 MB hosts file with 125,000 entries) to block server crosstalk, File Manager to block low level permissions like fine location access and sending info to Google, Akamai etc and my network traffic goes through a VPN installed on the router and I have my own domains and email service. No tinfoil beanies ... yet!!

I like tech but I feel it's being "abused" and, not to get political, this country really has nothing akin to GPC in the EU or even what California has for privacy controls. All tools can be used and abused so I'm not railing against anything, just not willing to feed the information hogs.
Wish it wasn’t so but alas I gave up, just VPN everything and hope for sanity to evolve by 2035. No reason for the year just a gut feeling it’s going to take a decade or more to get privacy back in the fold

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Wish it wasn’t so but alas I gave up, just VPN everything and hope for sanity to evolve by 2035. No reason for the year just a gut feeling it’s going to take a decade or more to get privacy back in the fold
Yeah, I think the "decade" is about right. Hopefully the boomers will "pass the torch to a new generation" and that generation, who will have lived with the "lack of privacy" ramification, will assert some control (and not "sell out" :) )

Yeah, driving stick was (and still is) great! Of course I think of the old joke "Four on the floor and a fifth under the seat" :)
Sponsored