• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Console to column shift swap mod?

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Completely pointless to have a chunky console shifter.
While I agree it's not necessary, I want the option. I like resting my hand on the shifter, maybe it's a habit from driving manuals in the ancient times, but I'm just more comfortable with my hand resting on something like this when driving, and it would look silly to have a random hand grip :)
Sponsored

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
While I agree it's not necessary, I want the option. I like resting my hand on the shifter, maybe it's a habit from driving manuals in the ancient times, but I'm just more comfortable with my hand resting on something like this when driving, and it would look silly to have a random hand grip :)
That's fair, and I can relate as I'm an ex-manual driver. However, I got used to the open space when I had my F250. When I switched to a half ton, I felt like I lost a lot of space with the shifter there.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
If I had to point to the time Ford interior engineering was at its peak, was when my prior Super Duty that had the column shifter, then this nice storage area (where the folding shifter now is) and a sliding cup trim that allowed the storage area to convert into quad cup holders if needed.

It was simply marvelous and would work great in newer trucks with the work surface! I still don’t know why Ford went to a motorized shifter that takes up usable space, is more complicated/expensive and is one more motorized gadget that can break.

Ford F-150 Lightning Console to column shift swap mod? IMG_0392

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
If I had to point to the time Ford interior engineering was at its peak, was when my prior Super Duty that had the column shifter, then this nice storage area (where the folding shifter now is) and a sliding cup trim that allowed the storage area to convert into quad cup holders if needed.

It was simply marvelous and would work great in newer trucks with the work surface! I still don’t know why Ford went to a motorized shifter that takes up usable space, is more complicated/expensive and is one more motorized gadget that can break.

IMG_0392.jpeg
I agree completely, I had the exact same one. That console is perfect for Lightining. I’m assuming that the only reason it’s not on the Lightning is that they don’t have that shifter area type on any of the current F150 options; so the accountants opted to request that they use the options available rather than make engineering changes and order new parts. Then again, as I write this, I’m thinking of everything they had to do to accommodate a folding shifter. Doesn’t make sense.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I still don’t know why Ford went to a motorized shifter that takes up usable space, is more complicated/expensive and is one more motorized gadget that can break.
Knowing many customers prefer a console shifter, Ford has created a stowable unit for F-150, which easily folds into the center console with the push of a button and allows full access to the large work surface when in park.
https://media.ford.com/content/ford.../built-for-getting-things-done-ford-f150.html

Sponsored

Vakatack

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning - Platinum
Has anyone figured out a way to do this? I just bought a ‘23 Lightning Platinum and getting rid of this console shifter is a must. I noticed that when leaving the car in drive and opening the driver door it automatically shifts into P for you. Not sure how the truck will handle that situation if it was swapped out for a dual or a column shifter

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Has anyone figured out a way to do this? I just bought a ‘23 Lightning Platinum and getting rid of this console shifter is a must. I noticed that when leaving the car in drive and opening the driver door it automatically shifts into P for you. Not sure how the truck will handle that situation if it was swapped out for a dual or a column shifter
Dial is easy. The MME has a dial shifter and it doesn't really care about the position of the dial, it would just swap the display to "P" in that situation. I think the column would be an issue, you'd have to disable that automatic shifting or have a motor in the column shifter.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
There is a thread where somebody replaced the Lightning Shifter with a shifting dial from a Mustang MME. But they put it in the same place, not really creating any new console spaced. I would move it to the dash somewhere.
Maybe ditch the trailer steering thingy I never use and put it there. wiring harness might actually reach there as well.
Would require some custom fabricated parts. Some 3D printing likely needed.

Vakatack

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There’s a small space right under the trailer brake control that might fit a dial but I’m assuming it’s not going to be plug and play. How would the wiring work? Do you have any more info about the guy who used the mustang dial? Thanks in advance

Ford F-150 Lightning Console to column shift swap mod? image

Magendi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat
I so hope someone figures this out. The giant waste of space for a fake non-mechanical shifter is so dumb. My 2014 Ram had a dial on the dash and it was just so clean and efficient.

Sponsored

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
Agreed, the change is a must for me as well. Came from a Ram with jumpseat and rotary dial shifter. Don’t need the rotary dial, column lever is just as good, but I need that floor space between the seats. The ford jumpseat with the extra two cupholders you can put out on the floor would be amazing.

I heard about this but didn’t see the thread. Thanks for the link!

I am also planning on putting the knob under the brake controller at this point. Thought not sure it will fit. Also looking for a junk stock shifter to take apart and see if a miniature switch can be attached with some custom (3D print maybe?) linkage

Vakatack

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Quick update on this. The dial from the Ford Escape is plug and play. The L button acts as the 30 min neutral button. I was able to make the shifter fit where the trailer brake controller is. The dial housing is larger than I had anticipated. I don’t ever tow anything so I just threw the trailer brake behind since there’s plenty of space back there. The only problem now is the wire doesn’t reach. I’m working on getting an extension cable from the company that makes the column to console swap kit. They don’t seem to want to sell one without selling the entire $500 kit. If anyone has any info on how I could get that harness or even make my own please let me know because I definitely don’t want to cut and splice the factory harness.

Ford F-150 Lightning Console to column shift swap mod? ZGEyMGJlNDIuanBn

Ford F-150 Lightning Console to column shift swap mod? YTI5MjdlZjUuanBn

Last edited:

Vakatack

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WOW, I admire your courage.
:like:
Trust me it wasn’t easy to make that first hole in the trim haha. I called ford first and found the part number. $250 if I totally butchered it but ended up being ok
Sponsored