• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cover Security: Doesn't canister/hinge allow easy breach?

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23.5 MachE GTPE & '24 Lightning Lariat
I am looking at covers, and security water ingress control are key for me (as well as convenience for accessing the entire bed). Contenders are:

1) Diamond Back or Renegade
2) Stowe Cargo
3) Retrax or Pace Edwards Jacckrabbit

What I don't understand is how these are secure if the are external screws on the canisters and hinges.

Any thoughts would really be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I have a Diamondback SE. The hinges have exposed bolts. But you'll never get them undone since the nylon locknuts on the inside will just spin. I have no concerns.

I think you have to consider what you're securing from who. If thieves are willing to come at your truck with power tools to disassemble and cut into things, does it matter what cover you have? Just like your doors have windows that are easily smashed out. The vast majority of junkies stealing shit are looking to quickly open something, grab what's there, and be gone. Any of those locking tonneau covers are going to protect you from that majority of shitheads.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I am looking at covers, and security water ingress control are key for me (as well as convenience for accessing the entire bed). Contenders are:

1) Diamond Back or Renegade
2) Stowe Cargo
3) Retrax or Pace Edwards Jacckrabbit

What I don't understand is how these are secure if the are external screws on the canisters and hinges.

Any thoughts would really be appreciated.

Thanks!
If only the manufacturers would provide answers to these questions... Diamondback's website.

https://diamondbackcovers.com/pages/faq

Don't know whether the other companies have answers on their sites, you can go look.

OP
OP

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Generally they do not have this info, which is why I am asking here.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I have a Diamondback SE. The hinges have exposed bolts. But you'll never get them undone since the nylon locknuts on the inside will just spin. I have no concerns.
I also have had the SE and currently have the HD. Even if you could get the bolts out (really challenging with the Nylocks), there are 1/2" bars of steel on both sides holding the lids in place. While not impossible, it would be quite a time-consuming chore to break into the Diamonbacks.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What are people thoughts on the retractables? Sometimes the locks like on the Retrax pro xr seem a little wimpy and I wonder if I am better off with the Pace Edwards or an electric since neither offer a lock on top to pick.

Realtruck

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Realtruck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
The locks on a Retrax retractable cover can be deterrents for would-be break-ins, like the lock on your door handle. As long as your tailgate is closed and locked, and the cover is also locked, there isn't going to be any easy access to the cargo in your truck bed.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
What are people thoughts on the retractables? Sometimes the locks like on the Retrax pro xr seem a little wimpy and I wonder if I am better off with the Pace Edwards or an electric since neither offer a lock on top to pick.
In my research, I didn't include them for two reasons.

First, it's pouring ran. You open the cover, and fill the canister with water. Sure, it has a drain, but ...

Second, it's very cold. Cover is covered with a sheet of ice. Won't open.

I initially got a Peragon, returned it, and went with the Diamondback HD.

OP
OP

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for all the input. Isn’t there the same rain-time issue for Diamondback?
Sponsored