• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cybertruck vs Lightning

crangas

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Got my invitation to order a Foundation Series Cybertruck. Tesla offered me $42500 for my 2023 Lariat Lightning LR.

This means it is cheaper for me to keep my Lightning and buy a new Lightning than to trade in my Lightning and buy a Cybertruck.
Sponsored

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
$42,500 sounds like wholesale pricing. I'm not familiar with how Tesla operates on the backend but I'd guess they don't want to deal with selling non-Teslas and they simply send them to auction.

When did you put in your reservation for the CT? I've seen online people who reserved at the beginning of 2024 are starting to get their invites. Seems that the foundation series are about to end and many CT owners are about to see the value of their truck drop by $20K overnight.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Why would you do it? Why pay the absurd premium for the Foundation series?
There are so many on the road in my neck of the woods that the "look at me" novelty has totally gone away.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
I was surprised how small it is when I passed one on foot last week, and on the road again on monday. Combine that with the tiny frunk I don't really see why you'd choose it over any other truck on the market, even if you disregard price.

Sponsored
OP
OP

crangas

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
$42,500 sounds like wholesale pricing. I'm not familiar with how Tesla operates on the backend but I'd guess they don't want to deal with selling non-Teslas and they simply send them to auction.

When did you put in your reservation for the CT? I've seen online people who reserved at the beginning of 2024 are starting to get their invites. Seems that the foundation series are about to end and many CT owners are about to see the value of their truck drop by $20K overnight.
7/21/2023 Order# RN119576021 Got invite on 7/24/2024

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
Why would you do it? Why pay the absurd premium for the Foundation series?
There are so many on the road in my neck of the woods that the "look at me" novelty has totally gone away.
Seeing a lot here in the PNW. The one I saw Sunday had a broken tonneau cover seal. Then it couldn’t park straight in the parking spot even with the rear steering.

the big 3 have nothing to worry about.

my wife also commented on how small it was lol

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
They’re flying through the reservations for the overpriced founders crap. We’ll see what the actual take rate is here in a few months.

Chriseberle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning SR Tesla Model X
They’re flying through the reservations for the overpriced founders crap. We’ll see what the actual take rate is here in a few months.
I turned down my reservation in June. Very happy with my Lightning and would not pay $20k over for non existent FSD and no autopilot. No thanks.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
The only real selling point of CT for me was having access to supercharger network. Now I have that with my Lightning plus a big frunk, larger back seat, spare, ..... I didn't have to wait 4 to 5 years for Lightning and when I got it, it was $10K less than the price CT dual motor was announced at and $60K less than what it is being sold at.

The feeling I get with Ford is that they are happy to have me as a customer. With Tesla, it feels like I will have to be a groupie that has to feel privileged to over pay for something unfinished. Not the kinda relationship I am looking for.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
I was surprised how small it is when I passed one on foot last week, and on the road again on monday. Combine that with the tiny frunk I don't really see why you'd choose it over any other truck on the market, even if you disregard price.
We are going to find out over the next 12 months.

Are there buyers for the Cybertruck, pass the early adopters that were willing to pay $100K?

We don't know the answer to that.

And, will Tesla really start selling the Cybertruck for $75K, potentially pulling in buyers?

I think if you look at the price point for the Tesla Model X and Model S, which are awesome vehicles, and the # they sell each year (not many), that tells me it is going to be hard to sell any truck in volume north of $75,000 dollars.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
like Rivian & Hummer :ontheloo:
I agree that neither can beat the value of my Pro and they are both expensive but I think you get more for your money with those than you do with a CT. I have not been in a Hummer but it seems like a truck I would love to drive but it is too much of everything to own for me. I have been in a Rivian and still have a reservation with a discount I did not go through with. Build quality is a head and shoulder over any Tesla I have seen. It feels like if Volvo made a tank. It just seems like a lot more fun than CT. I may look at it again when R2 comes out (Only if I have a lot of issues with my Pro). If my truck stays as reliable as it has been so far, I plan to keep it another 20 years.
Sponsored

Last edited: