Sponsored

Disabling Vehicle Connectivity removes functionality

bub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Plat
I have my TCU disconnected at all times, except when updates are needed. I'm able to see charge rates easily and in real time with my OBD2 dongle and the car scanner app.
What ODB dongle and app is that?
Sponsored

OP
OP
theUNSTABLE

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
Interesting.
This is all good information.
I would love to have something like that, and not be reliant on the Ford Modem connected.

Do you know if it has any time of internal storage for logs?
If so, then I/someone could probably integrate an API to:
  1. Get data from OBD
  2. Use phone as bridge
  3. Send logs into self hosted database
  4. Then show very similar graphs in Grafana to LightningROD - but bypassing Ford
My concern with OBD ports was during my research I came across multiple instances of people saying the devices specify:
  • "Do not use the device while driving"
  • "Do not leave the device plugged in when not in use"
  • And that you run the risk of Draining the 12v battery
I would love to know what *other* data I could get from the Lightning using the OBD.

Currently some of my goals for LightningROD are:
  • ProPower Onboard logs
  • seeing if I can find that "DrivingScore" the app used to show (miles gained from brake regen)
  • etc

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
https://www.reddit.com/r/F150Lightning/s/RdoDn7Nleh

So this guy just got a $6000 insurance renewal because Ford sold his data to his insurance company without his consent or knowledge.

I’m not a privacy freak. I realize we give it up every day, but it doesn’t usually cause us to lose our vehicle.

What are we gonna do? I’m legit scared. I’m a good driver, but what if they say I’m not?

I disabled the telematics for now but now I can’t see my charging rate and other useful information. This sucks.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
https://www.reddit.com/r/F150Lightning/s/RdoDn7Nleh

So this guy just got a $6000 insurance renewal because Ford sold his data to his insurance company without his consent or knowledge.

I’m not a privacy freak. I realize we give it up every day, but it doesn’t usually cause us to lose our vehicle.

What are we gonna do? I’m legit scared. I’m a good driver, but what if they say I’m not?

I disabled the telematics for now but now I can’t see my charging rate and other useful information. This sucks.
It hasn’t always been this way.
This is a recent development of the last couple of decades. Americans used to cherish their privacy.
Many- as evidenced by the replies in this thread- have not only given up any hope- but will even go so far as mocking those who don’t accept this new “norm.”
I wish the op the best in his endeavors, and would encourage everyone to fight for every shred of privacy you can. Once it’s gone, it gone forever.

Last edited:

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighting ER Lariat
For software updates, you could just get FDRS to do it?
Then you don't need thr modem to be working at all?

Just $800 per year, or $50 for 2 days, with $600 cable

Also lots of ESP based OBD devices are on the market, either wifi only or with cellular modem.
Or get repair grade obd tools to do whatever you need, it's plug and play
If lazy, ELM327 based adapter is a cheap way to monitor the car, not recommended due to limited info

I have attempted for 2 months with modem fuse removed, but I put back as there are too many inconvenience.

You should be glad you got a ford, if rivian or tesla, you can't survive without connectivity
Sponsored