• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TJSparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT (302A) RockyRidge K2
FYI… it looks like the FDRS application released ver 31.6.2 for download.
Not sure what the update does.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
My suspicion is correct... I still need the IPC update for this to work. I just took it out on the highway real quick and it only used Adaptive Cruise.
It sucks that my 2-day license expires tomorrow for FRDS. I'm sure the IPC update will likely be released the day after it expires (sarcasm)
Not sure how much this will help but the IPC software level in my '22 F-150 truck is as follow:

IPC - Instrument Panel Control Module
Part number: NL3T-10849-CCB
Calibration level: NL3T-10849-CCB
Strategy : NL3T-14C026-CCB

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
FYI… it looks like the FDRS application released ver 31.6.2 for download.
Not sure what the update does.
I wonder if they fixed the Network Scan bug over J2534 pass-through protocol

TJSparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT (302A) RockyRidge K2
I wonder if they fixed the Network Scan bug over J2534 pass-through protocol
That would be really nice! I can't seem to find any release notes anywhere though.

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
NOTICE: I have just updated my GWM module in my brand new '22 F-150 using the 31.6.2 version of FDRS. I have NOT RUN a Network Scan, and let the software populate truck's module info from the cloud (just as described in this post)

The update was successful and mothership is aware of my GWM update. No fields got mangled up!

Ford F-150 Lightning ECU module programming guide using FDRS 1645051840206

This is a proof of concept that this method of module updating works just fine without corrupting any of your module data in your As-Built data set on Ford servers (aka "mothership")

Sponsored

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Thank you very much for this thread! @iceman77

I spent quite a while yesterday trying to update my truck with FRDS only to get stuck on the USB update restart to complete the update loop.
Today I was able to update the TCU, GWM (x2), APIM (x2).

Steps I used:
  • Waited for the restart to complete the update prompt displayed on SYNC.
  • Pressed the Close button and shut the truck off.
  • Left the driver door cracked
  • Set a timer on my watch (12min for each of the APIM and TCU updates and 32 min for each GWM).
This process worked perfectly every time after that.
After your timer went off did you start the engine or just go to On but no engine? Also did you leave the USB in after the timer went off?

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
After your timer went off did you start the engine or just go to On but no engine? Also did you leave the USB in after the timer went off?
I just did my GWM, when I seen "System Restart Required" prompt on my Sync screen, I switched the ignition to OFF (it was KOER) opened the driver door a closed it. Left the USB stick connected. Went inside, had a coffee, and after about 35 minutes returned to the truck, and turned the truck on (KOEO). After about half a minute or so I received the message "Update Successful". At that point I removed the USB stick and continued with FDRS software update validation, module configuration and "mothership" update.

I think what @tonesto7 outlined above is about right! For APIM - wait about 12-15 mins, for GWM/TCU about 30-35 mins. At least that was my experience

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
I just did my GWM, when I seen "System Restart Required" prompt on my Sync screen, I switched the ignition to OFF (it was KOER) opened the driver door a closed it. Left the USB stick connected. Went inside, had a coffee, and after about 35 minutes returned to the truck, and turned the truck on (KOEO). After about half a minute or so I received the message "Update Successful". At that point I removed the USB stick and continued with FDRS software update validation, module configuration and "mothership" update.

I think what @tonesto7 outlined above is about right! For APIM - wait about 12-15 mins, for GWM/TCU about 30-35 mins. At least that was my experience
Ok I'll give that a shot, maybe I'm just missing something. I can't seem to get it to pass and get the error shown below. At least the USB update is working, and work consistently now.

Ford F-150 Lightning ECU module programming guide using FDRS IMG_1897

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
Ok I'll give that a shot, maybe I'm just missing something. I can't seem to get it to pass and get the error shown below. At least the USB update is working, and work consistently now.

IMG_1897.jpg
What do you see on your SYNC screen ? Have you received the "System Restart Required" message yet ?

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
What do you see on your SYNC screen ? Have you received the "System Restart Required" message yet ?
Yes, and sometimes I would get in a loop of saying to restart and sometimes nothing. BUT I hadn’t tried your method, currently letting that timer run out to try.

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost

IMG_1897.jpg
If that’s the post-update validation I’m seeing, that can sometime happen if you did the update with a flash drive that wasn’t blank. This happened to me when I updated my TCU and then reused the same flash drive to immediately update the APIM without erasing it. Try @iceman77 ’s method with a clean drive and it should go through.

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Well, tried two times once leaving the door open and door closed both for 32 minutes. Then did Key On No Engine with USB in and waited 5 minutes but got the Restart Vehicle to complete message both times within 30 seconds of key on.

The USB was formatted clean and was the USB that successfully got my APIM updated so I know it’s good.

I’m going to kick it off one more time and just let it sit overnight. This time I got the 30 day license so I’m not in a rush.

Stupid ass truck is going to fight me the whole way.

OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
Well, tried two times once leaving the door open and door closed both for 32 minutes. Then did Key On No Engine with USB in and waited 5 minutes but got the Restart Vehicle to complete message both times within 30 seconds of key on.

The USB was formatted clean and was the USB that successfully got my APIM updated so I know it’s good.

I’m going to kick it off one more time and just let it sit overnight. This time I got the 30 day license so I’m not in a rush.

Stupid ass truck is going to fight me the whole way.
Try reseting GWM/APIM (via ForScan), if the USB drive is inserted, you might get right away "restart required". Then do the 35min wait... you need to really improvise here

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
This is the part I was asking about. I understand that you started with a clean drive. But after you did the APIM, did you erase the drive again before you reused it for the next module? When I didn’t do that, the second update failed at the post-install validation.

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A | 3.5L EB
Occupation
IT Admin | Software Developer
I didn’t start only set to on and waited till the update completed prompt message came up to remove the usb.
Sponsored