• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

"electric pickup struck a salesman"

sysop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gas
NBC San Diego

A man test-driving an electric pickup struck a salesman in the parking lot of a San Diego dealership, authorities said Monday.

The crash occurred about 1:30 p.m. Sunday in the 4500 block of Mission Bay Drive, according to San Diego police Officer S. Foster.

The 54-year-old man test-driving the 2024 Ford F-150 Lightning at the Mossy Ford dealership shifted into drive and the truck "abruptly launched forward" in the parking lot, Foster said.

The truck struck a 31-year-old salesman who was hospitalized with a skull fracture and brain bleed, the officer said.

The neighborhood used to be the home to several dealerships, but now only the Mossy Ford location remains. The parking lot is relatively small for a car dealership and appears to be sited where there was once a gas station.

The crash was under investigation, Foster said.
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Yep, put in drive and press the go peddle (hard) and it will leap forward.

Wonder if it had forward pedestrian sensor w/auto braking activated?

Sponsored

MountainAlive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lighting ER 512A
Yep, put in drive and press the go peddle (hard) and it will leap forward.

Wonder if it had forward pedestrian sensor w/auto braking activated?
Isn’t the pedestrian thing supposed to be always on? Reminds me of that car wash crash I saw and again, unsure why forward collision avoidance didn’t kick in.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
When you mash the accelerator in an EV it can go real fast real quick. Driver wasn't used to that and ran over the poor guy.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
When you mash the accelerator in an EV it can go real fast real quick. Driver wasn't used to that and ran over the poor guy.
That’s my take on it, as well.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Last edited:

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Isn’t the pedestrian thing supposed to be always on? Reminds me of that car wash crash I saw and again, unsure why forward collision avoidance didn’t kick in.
Because you're not understanding how it works.

Pre-collision assist detects and warns of approaching hazards in the roadway. The system provides multiple levels of assistance to help avoid a collision if your vehicle is rapidly approaching another stationary vehicle, a vehicle traveling in the same direction as yours, or a pedestrian or
cyclist within your driving path.

The system warns the driver of potential hazards by providing three levels of assistance. If your vehicle is rapidly approaching potential hazards the system provides the following levels of functionality:
1. Alert.
2. Brake Support.
3. Automatic Emergency Braking.

WARNING: The system does not operate during hard acceleration or steering.

WARNING: In situations where the vehicle camera has limited detection capability, this may reduce system performance. These situations include but are not limited to direct or low
sunlight, vehicles at night without tail lights, unconventional vehicle types, pedestrians with complex backgrounds, running pedestrians, partly obscured pedestrians, or pedestrians that the system cannot distinguish from a group. Failure to take care may result in the loss of control of your vehicle, serious personal injury or death.

And, ... "The system is active at speeds above 3 mph (5 km/h)."

Many people have posted here, and on the Mach-E forum, about their misunderstanding. One guy wanted to know why he drove his Mach-E into trash barrels without it stopping. I'd suggest a reading of the few pages on this feature in the manual.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Mine is always on - I get audio and visual alarms about a collision when my son walks in front of the car when it it in drive and my foot is on the brake...don't know if it would let me run into him, never tried that...

When I try to back out of a parking space at a local bank, the truck sometimes won't let me move, tells me to check my surroundings - nobody around no cars behind me what is it sensing? - and I have to really press hard on the accelerator to finally move backwards - kind of disconcerting the first time it happens, I was afraid I might press hard then run into the bank wall, set off alarms and get shot by responding officers...

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER =RAe (Range Anxiety)
Occupation
Old
0-60 in 4 seconds. You need a light foot. I hope the salesman recovers. Sadly, I see a lawsuit coming on against multiple parties.

Thunder1809

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Engineer
I have learned to trust the truck when it decides it should stop.

When I first got it I was backing out of my garage and it beeped and then stopped quickly. Showed there was something on the side. I hit OK and continued to back out, running over a flower pot too close to the side.

The other day a car cut me off on the freeway with Bluecruise on. The traffic in front of him was slowing to a crawl and the truck beeped, then applied the brakes and took over braking hard. It stopped a foot from his bumper and I would have hit him without the collision sensors that acted quicker than my response.

strmwzrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
I hope the salesman recovers soon. I posted earlier about a similar incident I had a five months after getting my truck (https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...red-runaway-throttle.17638/page-3#post-356599). I backed into a parking spot. When I returned to pull out as soon as I put the truck in drive it lurched about 20 feet, instantly! I had been driving it for a good while when that happened. I came home and tried to duplicate how that could have happened--brake on and pedal on at the same time. I absolutely still feel certain I didn't have the pedal depressed. Dunno....
Sponsored