• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Engineers - Possible that Side-Steps Improve Aero/Range?

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
I was hanging out on the Silverado EV thread, and ran into an unexpected comment. Apparently the Silverado EV's sidesteps also help improve aero by separating the turbulent bottom air from the sides. Does anyone know if this thought process would have been applied to the sidesteps on the Ford Lightning?

I always assumed that retractable steps would be superior for range and aero; now that has been called into question.
Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Anything is possible... especially with this elephant going down the highway. However it will be very hard to figure out unless you have a full model with a wind tunnel, or software to to do educated guesses based on a CG model. Sure we can scan our truck with Li DAR, but who has the software?

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I would hazard an uneducated guess that the gains from aero on fixed vs folding steps is in all likely hood a negligible loss, as in it's a wash. One gain just replaces the other.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
It's plausible but ICE steps look the same as ours and models without steps have the same EPA range rating. That suggests little to no efficiency effect.
Sponsored