• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Failed Attempt to Charge w/A2Z Typhoon Adapter

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I haven’t read through all the replies. My Lightning failed initially at a compatible Tesla site. I found that when using the Tesla APP I hadn’t set up the app letting it know I had an adapter. Once I clicked YES it charged fine.

I also couldn’t use Plug and Charge with the Ford app. I didn't have the Ford update installed. It was pushed to me a few days ago.

Ford F-150 Lightning Failed Attempt to Charge w/A2Z Typhoon Adapter IMG_1480

Ford F-150 Lightning Failed Attempt to Charge w/A2Z Typhoon Adapter IMG_1461
Ford F-150 Lightning Failed Attempt to Charge w/A2Z Typhoon Adapter IMG_1463
Ford F-150 Lightning Failed Attempt to Charge w/A2Z Typhoon Adapter IMG_1462
Sponsored

OP
OP

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I haven’t read through all the replies. My Lightning failed initially at a compatible Tesla site. I found that when using the Tesla APP I hadn’t set up the app letting it know I had an adapter. Once I clicked YES it charged fine.

I also couldn’t use Plug and Charge with the Ford app. I didn't have the Ford update installed. It was pushed to me a few days ago.

IMG_1480.png

IMG_1461.jpeg
IMG_1463.png
IMG_1462.png
I had done that and I also updated the app but will double check just in case something got "outta whack". Thanks for the info!

subseavet

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
Occupation
R&D Engineer
Yes, I had the same issue. The tolerances are pretty tight on this adapter and particularly with new Tesla stations or ones that don’t get much usage, it’s very hard to get the adapter to insert properly and fully lock. I actually filed the corners off locking pin a little bit so that it would engage a little better.
The first time I used it, I almost gave up because I couldn’t get the lock to engage. It was a solid ten minutes of fiddling with it before I could get it to work.
The very same thing happened to me. Once I finally got it to engage the lock, it worked like a dream. And boy howdy, the truck charged faster than ever! Stick with it!

Refactoringdr

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2023 Lightning Platinum (ER)
Not the official way to use one of these, but I always just plug the adapter into the truck, and the push the Tesla cable into it. I get the immediate feedback from the charging ring this way.
Sponsored