• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FCSP on Ceiling?

OP
OP

Tinnemaha

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 E.R. Lariat & '06 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Retired
Wow; Nice setup!

Thanks for sharing the photo!
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Heat rises
Exactly, this is why mounting electronics on your ceiling is a terrible idea.

These devices are designed with clearances to allow proper ventilation and they're also designed for the heat to travel up and away while mounted normally. When you put them upside down on a ceiling you are asking for trouble.

Iroc34a

First Name
Roc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Mechanic for American Airlines. GSE (ground equipment) 37 years. Worked on everything from Lawn mowers to Boeing 747's.
I do have AC in my garage. But I have tested the Temps both with air on and off. At 47.6 amps on a very hot day an hour into charging. The internal temp Guage on the unit showed 129° F ,infra red on outside of unit and cords and breaker, hottest I recorded was 98° .According to Lectron. Internal Temps up to 165° are ok. And it was over 100° that day. AC on Temps are lower.

Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP on Ceiling? Screenshot_20240616_000612_Chrome

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
It would probably be a good idea to get input about a ceiling mount from Ford and Siemens the manufacturer. There are warranty issues if not mounted per the instructions (wall at least 18 inches from floor etc.) and may be safety concerns, too.

Ford: 1-800-392-3673 is the number listed in my install guide.
Siemens: 1-800-333-7421 is the number listed in my install guide.

I know there are some EVSE makers who say it is fine to ceiling mount, but the FCSP can deliver 80A so likely will generate more heat than those.

The install guide says the max rated ambient temp is 113F. Ceilings under an uninsulated attic can get pretty hot.

Ford F-150 Lightning FCSP on Ceiling? safety instions part

Note items (d) and (i).
Sponsored