Sponsored

Ford CEO Jim Farley's fascinating 'take' on taking on Chinese car companies...

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
If they can't survive without subsidies a decade later then they'll never make it.
It shocked me the oil companies are currently receiving tax money funded subsidies, while USA is currently the biggest oil producer in the world ever.
Sponsored

saturnschildren

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat XR, 2008 Ridgeline, 1953 Unimog
davehu said:
If they can't survive without subsidies a decade later then they'll never make it.

It shocked me the oil companies are currently receiving tax money funded subsidies, while USA is currently the biggest oil producer in the world ever.
This ^^.

I always love the, "if they can't make it on their own they don't deserve to make it." comments. We subsidize all manner of very profitable businesses all the time: telco's, oil companies, mines, ad nauseam and yet when it comes to environmental issues suddenly it's all about the free market and subsidies are bad. I have an idea, let's take ALL the subsidies paid out to fossil fuel companies and give them ALL to solar companies, battery companies, EV manufacturers. Let's let the long established fossil fuel companies fight it out in the free market and support the new up and coming businesses.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
While this may be all true and correct . . Please correct me if I'm wrong, aren't the Chinese EV's heavily subsidized in china, and I don't believe the workers are treated very well either.
And as someone with connections to those from and working directly in China, the news you read, rarely reflects the reality on the ground. The stories of Chinese EVs having abysmal quality control and battery safety are not just anti-china smears. They have innovated immensely, but often at the cost of dangerous battery failures and mistakes.

While I think an outright ban on Chinese-built vehicles isn't the right answer, I think to blindly flood the US market with these vehicles would also be incredibly naive.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
The "Everything Electric" show on Youtube has an interesting interview with Ford CEO Jim Farley. Ford CEO Jim Farley's fascinating 'take' on taking on Chinese car companies...

The same interview is also available as a podcast on the "Fully Charged" podcast: "Can Lightning Strike Twice? With Jim Farley ā€“ The Man Behind The Best Selling Truck In 50 Years"

Farley surprised me. He seemed honest about the position Ford and all other automakers in the world are now in, compared to Chinese EV production. Eg.: he described at one point how he was driving a Chinese EV for a number of months, and he said: "I don't want to give it up". Etc.
I saw an excerpt of this on yahoo finance and just watched the whole video and was going to post it on here. Luckily, I searched first!
If you are interested in EVā€™s and Ford I feel that it is a much watch. I had many takeaways from this video comparing the lightning to the Model T being one of them. Farley doesnā€™t even have access to where the skunk works. Team is doing their work. There was a lot more, but it is worth a watch.IMHO

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Government subsidies are just looting us taxpayers when those businesses are making record profits. Tesla and Big Oil both no longer need government subsidies. Need to shut those down.

Sponsored

Chado

First Name
chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, BMW, Tesla
Taking away subsidies would include the $7500, you do that and the only USA EV manufacture left is Tesla

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
The "Everything Electric" show on Youtube has an interesting interview with Ford CEO Jim Farley. Ford CEO Jim Farley's fascinating 'take' on taking on Chinese car companies...

The same interview is also available as a podcast on the "Fully Charged" podcast: "Can Lightning Strike Twice? With Jim Farley ā€“ The Man Behind The Best Selling Truck In 50 Years"

Farley surprised me. He seemed honest about the position Ford and all other automakers in the world are now in, compared to Chinese EV production. Eg.: he described at one point how he was driving a Chinese EV for a number of months, and he said: "I don't want to give it up". Etc.
I saw an excerpt of this on yahoo finance and just watched the whole video and was going to post it on here. Luckily, I searched first!
If you are interested in EVā€™s and Ford I feel that it is a much watch. I had many takeaways from this video comparing the lightning to the Model T being one of them. Farley doesnā€™t even have access to where the skunk works. Team is doing their work. There was a lot more, but it is worth a watch.
Although we like to say "it's not our fault" and the Chinese are using unfair trade practices, the truth is that it's mostly our fault. Read this eye-opening article to see how we have failed to keep up (and not just with solar panel production).
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2024-opinion-how-US-lost-solar-power-race-to-China/
WOW!
Very long article, but also very enlightening!

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Taking away subsidies would include the $7500, you do that and the only USA EV manufacture left is Tesla
Sounds like Ford is all in, however in the US it is going to take some time due to the politics of it all. I offer to take people for a quick ride and show them the power, smoothness and show off my Frunk and pro power on board. Not that it will change their minds, but at least get them to think. Once you drive one for a while, I donā€™t see how you could go back to ICE unless you are a daily road tripper, and even then these will get better as newer generations of EVā€˜s are created.