• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Someone on the MachE Facebook page posted some photos of the inside of the mobile charger. Their charger failed so they cut it open to see if they could identify the problem. Apparently the unit is sealed and cannot be opened without destroying the case.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Mobile Charger Internal View IMG_0467
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Interesting to see. Thanks for sharing.

Mine overheats and de-rate itself to a lower current and keeps fluctuating. I just stopped using it. If someone told they had the same problem and problem was a component like this, I would open up and try to fix it.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Mobile Charger Internal View 1721151767654-dh

But if it is one of those chips, I wouldn't bother.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"

Mine overheats and de-rate itself to a lower current and keeps fluctuating. I just stopped using it. If someone told they had the same problem and problem was a component like this, I would open up and try to fix it.

1721151767654-dh.png

I would try a new 240v dongle before opening it up.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would try a new 240v dongle before opening it up.

Never thought of that. I did lose the neutral to my house a while back which screwed up a few pieces of electronics. I suspect, that may have messed up one of the components in there but you suggestion makes sense. I will check it when I see my cousin that has a mustang. Thanks.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Someone on the MachE Facebook page posted some photos of the inside of the mobile charger. Their charger failed so they cut it open to see if they could identify the problem. Apparently the unit is sealed and cannot be opened without destroying the case.

IMG_0467.jpeg
Interesting. Been several postings of failures of these over time by people using them daily, one where there was a nearby lightning strike that may have cause a surge current/voltage to the unit.

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Never thought of that. I did lose the neutral to my house a while back which screwed up a few pieces of electronics. I suspect, that may have messed up one of the components in there but you suggestion makes sense. I will check it when I see my cousin that has a mustang. Thanks.
Doesn't use the neutral, just 2 hot and ground, I traced the wiring myself through the dongle.
The neutral pin is N/C.

But if the outlet was wired wrong, and the neutral was lifted (not connected to ground at the main service panel, then maybe...
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Mobile Charger Internal View Mobile Power Cord-240v dongle-2

Also, if HOT 2 were disconnected, the AC to DC converter in the Lightning would detect 120V between HOT 1 and GND, and perhaps function as an L1 would.
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Mobile Charger Internal View Mobile Power Cord-120v dongle

Assuming a split phase converter:
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Mobile Charger Internal View split phase full wave rectifier-J1772 pins

Like the above.

Last edited:

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

1721151767654-dh.png

Three pin circuit board devices are usually transistors (triode).

We know this is a Webasto Go EVSE from the circuit board marking and other information.

Looking it up, I could not as yet locate a circuit diagram, but the item is available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Webasto-Dual-Voltage-Portable-Charger/dp/B0BTK7WPLZ

32% gave it 1 star on Amazon!
Lots of failures!

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
No. I built this from scratch. Searched out retail components from all over. The controller was a self-assemble from OpenEVSE. It didn’t come assembled with preloaded software back then. Now the controller only costs $150, whereas I just bought a brand new complete 32 amp charging station for $119. Over time, I decided to add the LCD display and then reset switch, and ultimately an additional 240vac outlet on the side. The whole thing cost me about $160CAD for a 32 amp unit. At the time, comparable units were selling for $1,000 or more.

Sponsored

tkittlitz

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14Ram1500ED, 20FordEscapeHybrid, 22LightningOrder
Mine got water in it while charging one day after it had rained. It started malfunctioning and giving me a red light error all the time. I took the adapter out - filled with alcohol, let it drain and dry in a warm dry area. It has worked great ever since. Just posting this in case other people have the same problem if charger got wet inside.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
I still have three of the Ford portables....one still brand new in the plastic. I will only use one in a very extreme emergency now. The routine overheating got pretty stupid. Like 14-15hrs to go from 55% back up to 90? Ridiculous.

I mounted a Wallbox 48A as a replacement and couldn't be happier.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
Was there any failure analysis to go along with that FB post? Like does he know why it failed at all?

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
Mine overheats and de-rate itself to a lower current and keeps fluctuating. I just stopped using it
My understanding is it would be covered under the 3 year/36 month warranty... did you ask about it?

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My understanding is it would be covered under the 3 year/36 month warranty... did you ask about it?
My truck is a 23 and I did not suppose to get one. I got it with a bit of arm twisting ( dealer took it off another truck on the lot). Didn't want to push my lock, but I doubt I have anything to lose. I may give it a shot.
Sponsored