• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Offers You Extra Power For $995 (For MachE GT)

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
https://www.autoguide.com/auto/auto-news/ford-offers-you-extra-power-for-995-44612449

Whelp this is it, this is effectively your heated seats subscription. Ford is locking hardware performance behind a paywall. After you've already shelled out a tidy sum for a GT, you have to shell out a little more to get the full capability. I hope this creates nothing but complaints. There's no justification for this other than wringing money from owners. BlueCruise and Nav, I can kind of see, maybe not the price they ask, but there are continuous improvements and software updates required for those, but not this. Imagine if they limited charging to <100 kW unless you pay for premium charging? What performance is hiding behind software locks in our trucks? Maybe they locked it down for reliability reasons, but after further testing they decide to unlock it, but only if we pay? Maybe other OEMs get away with it, but part of why I chose ford was that they didn't.
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I don't see a problem with this. The performance upgrade takes place of the GT Performance Edition. The people that don't want it save money, and so does Ford by not having to stock different parts on the assembly line and warehouses.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
https://www.autoguide.com/auto/auto-news/ford-offers-you-extra-power-for-995-44612449

Whelp this is it, this is effectively your heated seats subscription. Ford is locking hardware performance behind a paywall. After you've already shelled out a tidy sum for a GT, you have to shell out a little more to get the full capability. I hope this creates nothing but complaints. There's no justification for this other than wringing money from owners. BlueCruise and Nav, I can kind of see, maybe not the price they ask, but there are continuous improvements and software updates required for those, but not this. Imagine if they limited charging to <100 kW unless you pay for premium charging? What performance is hiding behind software locks in our trucks? Maybe they locked it down for reliability reasons, but after further testing they decide to unlock it, but only if we pay? Maybe other OEMs get away with it, but part of why I chose ford was that they didn't.
I agree 100%. What if You could only get Chevy bolt type charging unless you pay for a bunch of upgrades! I have stayed loyal to Ford for a number of reasons Apple CarPlay being one but I purchased my truck. I did not lease it. If this is going to be the case in the future, then why even buy a vehicle?you may as well just lease it for a couple (or however many) years and then get the new one with the new s*!t. My phone does not require a subscription to Apple iOS nor my computers for windows or macOS for those in that world but they continually update and refine their software to make it better and send it to me as an OTA basically.
I guess I’ll just start using a Robo taxi when they come out and save the cost of a new vehicle.

Edit: Oh, you want to store something in your frunk? there’s a charge for that. Do you want to use your air conditioning? There’s a charge for that. It is as bad as the airlines and all the BS fees!

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I don’t see an issue. Ford Performance sells tunes as does the aftermarket. Tesla has been doing this for years. Where’s my available power upgrade for my Lightning @Ford Motor Company 😬

Sponsored

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
I don’t see an issue. Ford Performance sells tunes as does the aftermarket. Tesla has been doing this for years. Where’s my available power upgrade for my Lightning @Ford Motor Company 😬
Silly man, you got the full performance for the purchase price already! With this new structure, you’ll be happy to receive detuned performance for the purchase price, and if you want full performance you can spend extra!

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
People will just find ways to jailbreak their performance. Some will succeed and some will fail. All will likely have some part of their warranty voided.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Silly man, you got the full performance for the purchase price already! With this new structure, you’ll be happy to receive detuned performance for the purchase price, and if you want full performance you can spend extra!
lol……I’ll spend the extra ….

lurker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E
Occupation
SWE
I think it is fine. If you think about the cost of gaining this kind of performance in ICE cars, this is relatively cheap.

Ford probably also takes into factor that more performance means more problems that can occur, so they probably factor in some warranty work in the pricing. I think it is a win-win for both parties. I would pay to squeeze out more performance from my Lightning.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Well they can grab my cash tomorrow if they offer a performance boost for the Lightning.

I just paid $600 on an APR tune for my Golf R and I’m a happy camper. This isn’t a subscription for the Mach-E, once you buy it’s on the car forever.

Manufacturers sandbagging cars performance has been going on for years.

Could you please provide a link where it says the Lightning is fully tapped out on power? I’d like to read it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
invertedspear

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I think it is fine. If you think about the cost of gaining this kind of performance in ICE cars, this is relatively cheap.

Ford probably also takes into factor that more performance means more problems that can occur, so they probably factor in some warranty work in the pricing. I think it is a win-win for both parties. I would pay to squeeze out more performance from my Lightning.
Maybe we read this differently. But this isn't the owner pays to have a software patch re-tune a bunch of things. The car comes with all the hardware to have that level of performance already, Ford has taken extra steps to lock that performance behind software, and then charges extra to unlock what they locked.

The fact that Tesla and other's have already done this does not mean consumer should be okay with this. It's a major reason I don't own a Tesla. There is so much wrong with this. The whole idea that we don't own the car, we only own the hardware and license the features is just a flagrant anti consumer practice.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Fortunately, I am not in that situation. As of now, I will pay for that extra power if they have it. For those that bought the 2024 Mach-E they are going to pony up that extra money also.

Again, this has been going on since before EV’s , I’m not exactly sure why anyone is surprised that they offered a detuned version of the Mach-E.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
As long as at the time of sale it is clear what you get for your money, getting more by paying more later is OK. BUT reduction in any capability after the sale is theft whether it is explicitly noted in the update description or it is kept hidden from the owner.
Sponsored