• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Front license plate blocking active shutters ? Anyone concerned in states that require front plates? Holes in bumper OK?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
So with the few Lightnings actually being delivered, has anyone thought about where the front license plates will go ?

Looking at photos, I see the only area to drill holes is where the park distance sensor trim might be where the front plate will go ?

If so, this might block the active shutters below the sensors to keep your battery cool.

I may ask the dealer to NOT drill holes into bumper and go with the DMV approved vinyl front plate so that it does not physically block the active shutters.

Here's a quick mock up - forgive me for my poor photo editing skills...
Ford F-150 Lightning Front license plate blocking active shutters ? Anyone concerned in states that require front plates? Holes in bumper OK? ford-f150-lightning-2022-studio-2 copy
Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Ford will specify where the front license plate should go. My recollection is that when the eco-boosts first came out, the front license plate was mounted to the side rather than in the center position.

I recall seeing a picture of a truck with a front license plate bracket early on, but have not been able to find it.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I would guess it will be centered, but a little higher than you have shown. Completely covering everything between the base of the front "grill"/Frunk and the lower black trim.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I find assurance that Ford knows where the plate should go so that it won't be in the way. It is correct that most Ecoboosts had it to the side.

VeganF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum
Should be able to mount it like curent gen F150s have the option to on the side
Ford F-150 Lightning Front license plate blocking active shutters ? Anyone concerned in states that require front plates? Holes in bumper OK? 1653860999271

Sponsored

VeganF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Platinum
Should be able to mount it like curent gen F150s have the option to on the side
1653860999271.jpeg
That’s just an example. In models with dynamic Cruise control the radar is on that side so the plate would go on the passenger side rectangle

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
Can we discuss how stupid front license plates are? 😆
We’re required to have them but I didn’t install ours on the ID.4 and I never see a Tesla with one. Someday I’m sure we’ll get a ticket and I’ll finally see what it costs to be cavalier about this stupid law.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
Can we discuss how stupid front license plates are? 😆
Yeah, I know - I know....

Just that I did get pulled over by highway patrol for not having a front plate and costed me $75 (fix it ticket) and have it inspected afterwards to be signed off.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
We’re required to have them but I didn’t install ours on the ID.4 and I never see a Tesla with one. Someday I’m sure we’ll get a ticket and I’ll finally see what it costs to be cavalier about this stupid law.
Agree. I don't mind putting one on the truck and I've got a customized one, so don't mind showing it off, but as you noted - it was not going on the front of the Tesla. So I don't really like or want them, but will definitely skirt that law for the right reason.

OP
OP
metroshot

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Networking Tech
I wonder when we will see a "dealer installed" front plate for the Lightning....

Getting anxious since my build date is in 2 weeks...

In the meantime, I will ask my dealer to NOT put a bracket on the front as I will be ordering a vinyl plate.
Ford F-150 Lightning Front license plate blocking active shutters ? Anyone concerned in states that require front plates? Holes in bumper OK? plate-wra

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
I left my front plate off my Vette on purpose, so a speeding ticket could be talked down to a fixit ticket. It worked only once.