• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Frunk latch stuck locked while frunk open…wtf

Punk9721

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Yesterday I was hanging in my lariat with my daughter while she took a nap and my family was walking around checking out Christmas stuff in the town about 70 miles from our hometown. When my daughter woke up, I went to go get everything closed up and ready to go when I couldn’t close my frunk. After calling @Ford Motor Company customer relations for troubleshooting who said they couldn’t provide help and to call roadside assistance who only said they could only tow me. I called a local dealership who was the most helpful but still wasn’t able to help and told me to strap the frunk down and get home to take to dealership the next day.

I had my newborn 3 week old baby 2 year old grandma and wife with dog caged in the back. Didn’t want to drive 70 miles home with a latched hood. After an hour of using the escape button and opening and closing the frunk on all ways possible. I finally was able to stink a knife in where the latch is (all I had that was stiff and strong) and press hard against the lock mechanism while pushing the emergency escape button which finally released the latch.
This Lariat is literally two weeks old. I’m super unhappy with the lack of support from Ford. The CRC lady asked me if I worked with a dealership on diagnostics yet…I’m like this truck is two weeks old are you kidding me. She offered literally no support beside call roadside assistance.
I’m embarrassed, my whole family was with us and I have been saying how great the truck is and this happens and I missed all the Xmas festivities with kids and family trying to fix the truck to get home.

This is more of a rant but I couldn’t find YouTube or forum posts on this so if your frunk lock latch gets locked somehow while frunk is open and won’t release use a preferable screw driver and stick in there and pry upwards with lots of pressure while pushing emergency escape on the left side on the frunk.

Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk latch stuck locked while frunk open…wtf IMG_2079
Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk latch stuck locked while frunk open…wtf IMG_2080

Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk latch stuck locked while frunk open…wtf IMG_2081
Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk latch stuck locked while frunk open…wtf IMG_2082
Sponsored

Last edited:

roadhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
The CRC lady asked me if I worked with a dealership on diagnostics yet…I’m like this truck is two weeks old are you kidding me. She offered literally no support beside call roadside assistance
I mean, it sucks but what did you want her to do? Have her come out there herself and fix it?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I'm not understanding the issue.

Would the frunk not go down? If so, did you try to close it manually?

If it went down, but the latch was closed so it wouldn't latch, did you try releasing it with the internal release on the driver's side by your left foot?

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Weird, never had any frunk problems.

If you leave it open for a long time it will shut off but will still close easily by hand.

There are 5 ways to open the frunk.

OP
OP

Punk9721

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER

If it went down, but the latch was closed so it wouldn't latch, did you try releasing it with the internal release on the driver's side by your left foot?
the issue was the Frunk was open. The frunk latch that locks the frunk in place somehow locked with the frunk open so whenever I went to shut the frunk it would just smash into the closed latch and not shut it. I tried doing the auto open inside, on my phone and pushing the emergency open button inside the frunk but none of them wouldn’t release the latch. No I didn’t try the manual release by my left foot. Didn’t know there was one and would’ve been great for the customer service representative from ford to tell me that and not have to learn about that on a forum a day later.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Punk9721

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Weird, never had any frunk problems.

If you leave it open for a long time it will shut off but will still close easily by hand.

There are 5 ways to open the frunk.
Yea I tried manual closing it but it wasn’t the issue of the frunk itself moving up or down it was that the frunk locking mechanism was stuck in lock while the frunk was open so I couldn’t close it

OP
OP

Punk9721

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
I mean, it sucks but what did you want her to do? Have her come out there herself and fix it?
Tell me something like ricklightning just did “

If it went down, but the latch was closed so it wouldn't latch, did you try releasing it with the internal release on the driver's side by your left foot?”

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
the issue was the Frunk was open. The frunk latch that locks the frunk in place somehow locked with the frunk open so whenever I went to shut the frunk it would just smash into the closed latch and not shut it. I tried doing the auto open inside, on my phone and pushing the emergency open button inside the frunk but none of them wouldn’t release the latch. No I didn’t try the manual release by my left foot. Didn’t know there was one and would’ve been great for the customer service representative from ford to tell me that and not have to learn about that on a forum a day later.
This happened to my former car dealer at an EV event we attended. They came to me for help. I remembered the manual release, pulled it repeatedly, and fixed the problem. Even though they won't fix my Lightning because I bought it out of state, I still was willing to fix theirs...

craig040608

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning ER - Max Tow Star White
Yea I tried manual closing it but it wasn’t the issue of the frunk itself moving up or down it was that the frunk locking mechanism was stuck in lock while the frunk was open so I couldn’t close it
I had this issue when I first got my lightning a year ago. I think it might've been my fault for hitting the button too many times, but regardless, it wouldn't close due to the latch already being in the closed/locked position. Ford was useless at helping over the phone, other than just sending a tow truck. I kept explaining they'd have to tow it with the hood open, but I don't think they had a clue what i was talking about anyway. The manual release didn't help right away, but sitting in the Menards parking lot on hold gave me plenty of time to keep trying. Eventually, the manual release got it into the right position to close. Haven't had any issues since.

OP
OP

Punk9721

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
This happened to my former car dealer at an EV event we attended. They came to me for help. I remembered the manual release, pulled it repeatedly, and fixed the problem. Even though they won't fix my Lightning because I bought it out of state, I still was willing to fix theirs...
So that red rope looking thing or what does it look like?

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
You are not alone ... we just experience this last weekend! Frustrating at the time but all is good now.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Robot / chat bots suck or that was one obtuse human CSR!
:eek:

Ford F-150 Lightning Frunk latch stuck locked while frunk open…wtf 1702335546683

Last edited:

Dan's Lightning

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
Had this happen to me when first got the truck I was showing the truck off to people went to push the light button in the frunk to turn on the light but accidentally pushed the emergency escape button, ( Ford if you're reading this move that button way away from the light button so you can't accidentally hit it by mistake)
It's a safety feature of the escape button so the frunk won't close for a set period of time. In my case I left it as is and I went to take my dog for a walk when I came back to the parking lot I tried to close it with the button and it closed and latched all fine.
I learned that there's a trick if this happens again, when trying to close the frunk it will beep 3 or 4 times and won't go down, I read, put a little bit of hand pressure down on the frunk during the three or four beeps and it will override the frunk not locking.
Sponsored

Last edited: