Sponsored

Full charge but below 131 KW of usable power

Billybender32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For lightning 2024
So I got a new 2024 lightning couple weeks ago. I was only charging up to 90% but always noticed on the range was well below what I expected by 10 or 15%. I know that's just an estimate but I would reset my My driving history and that wouldn't help the range go up at all. I was also driving around City so it was averaging 2.4 to 2.5 kW per hour.
I hooked up an OBD and fully charged my truck and only got a maximum of 125 of usable energy. I was expecting 131. It's only six off but that's still 4.5% or maybe 10+ miles on a road trip.
Do you guys get only 125kw? more or less?
I also noticed that the entire battery pack charged to 94%. I was expecting that to be around 92 if you divide 131/143
I have a Ford service appointment next week for a bed liner. Is this something I should bring up?

Ford F-150 Lightning Full charge but below 131 KW of usable power Screenshot_20241002-135904
Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Maybe the ‘24s have a smaller battery pack?
What did your window sticker say?

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Hmmm…
the ‘24s could still have a smaller battery pack if you divide 125.15 by 94.62% you get 132.26? Maybe with the single onboard charger they decided they didn’t need as much overhead? I am certainly no battery expert would be a question maybe @MickeyAO could answer?

OP
OP

Billybender32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For lightning 2024
Hmmm…
the ‘24s could still have a smaller battery pack if you divide 125.15 by 94.62% you get 132.26? Maybe with the single onboard charger they decided they didn’t need as much overhead? I am certainly no battery expert would be a question maybe @MickeyAO could answer?
I looked under the truck and there's a sticker that shows it has the same as the 23' 143 KW hours of total size.

Ford F-150 Lightning Full charge but below 131 KW of usable power Screenshot_20241002-150718

Sponsored

Dukhudo

First Name
Duy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
So I got a new 2024 lightning couple weeks ago. I was only charging up to 90% but always noticed on the range was well below what I expected by 10 or 15%. I know that's just an estimate but I would reset my My driving history and that wouldn't help the range go up at all. I was also driving around City so it was averaging 2.4 to 2.5 kW per hour.
I hooked up an OBD and fully charged my truck and only got a maximum of 125 of usable energy. I was expecting 131. It's only six off but that's still 4.5% or maybe 10+ miles on a road trip.
I also noticed that the entire battery pack charged to 94%. I was expecting that to be around 92 if you divide 131/143
I have a Ford service appointment next week for a bed liner. Is this something I should bring up?
This is what I've typically been getting with my truck 23ER with Car Scanner. 122-127KwH at 100% SOC Display. Not sure how accurate it is though.

Ricks Lightning

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro, 2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
1 too have a 24 flash ER . But what obd app are you guys using as I want to buy 1 that displays all the info you're showing.
Is it Bluetooth to your phone. Is there anyway to show it on the 15" screen via the app? Or do we already have this feature and I haven't played with all the apps and settings?

Rick

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Did you mean 2.4mi to 2.5mi per kWh?

Even though you read this with an OBD device, it is still an estimate of the SOC.
There is a margin of error from any on-board SOC number.

The only way to really know the "actual" SOC of an EV battery, well a closer approximation, is a bench test and even then there is some smaller margin of error.

There are many ways to try to measure the SOC of a lithium-based battery some are more accurate than others.

1) Open Circuit Voltage method: the voltage at the terminals decreases or increases depending on the charge level - however Lithium-ion batteries have a much flatter discharge curve, which means that over a wide operating range, the voltage at the battery terminals changes very slightly which means less accuracy closer to full charge. The error is estimated to be 10% to 15%.

2) Coulomb counter method: tracking the state of charge when using the battery by follow the current integrating it during cell use - the integration gives the quantity of electrical charges injected or withdrawn from the battery making it possible to more precisely quantify the SoC of the battery. However, even though the current measurement is performed with a precision resistor, small measurement errors may occur, based on the sampling frequency. The error is generally estimated to be around 1%.

What you get from the OBD device or other scanner connected to the truck computer is what the truck says the battery SOC is based on whatever method the truck is using to estimate it.

So my advice it to just relax and enjoy not having to buy gasoline, and only get worried if the reported battery estimate falls into the battery warranty range.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
PS: bench testing an EV battery involves "fully" charging it and "fully" discharging it, carefully measuring the coulombs (a unit of electrical charge conveyed in one second by one ampere - the electrical charge of 6.24 x 10^18 electrons to be exact) to determine the usable capacity - under controlled conditions (temperature, etc.).

1 watt = 1 volt x 1 amp
1 amp = 1 coulomb/sec
1 watt hour = 3600 coulombs (amp-seconds)

So if you know the battery voltage, the current and the time you can calculate the watt-hours (energy storage capacity) of the battery.

In any EV there are inefficiencies in extracting the energy in the HV battery both internal and external, mostly electrical resistances but also some chemical-related, and ambient temperature plays a roll too.

So my outlook on it is, if the EV/truck gets me where I want to go without problems, it's golden.
If it charges in a reasonable amount of time, wonderful.
If the range estimation is within 10-20%, super.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
There are a number of factors that can affect battery voltage. I wouldn't stress over a single data point.
Sponsored