• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Giving up on a LIGHTNING order

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Element; 2010 Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
I jumped on the reservations as soon as I first saw them available (in Canada) and got the call a couple weeks ago that they’d start taking orders.

But after some soul-searching and honest questions to myself/family, I’ve decided to pass on this opportunity so thought I’d share my thought process:
1. Capability - don’t think anyone can argue the Lightning is billed to be quite capable. But I had to think what I’d be using the truck for as a truck: long trips into the wilds of BC, and towing to parks 100’s of km’s away. The last thing I wanted to be worrying about with family in the truck was “damnit, we’re low on juice and too far from a charger!” Northern Vancouver island may have some chargers but not enough for my comfort.
2.Price: I just can’t justify the cost of it, especially with the dealer markup (our dealer said “everyone wasmarking up $13k” on the phone, I think that’s what he said. Whatever the exact value,combined with the higher price to start with the ER battery, I just couldn’t justify it - and I’m a true believer in EV’s!)
3. Expediency- our two current vehicles are showing their age and COULD die. Yes I could get a used vehicle fairly quickly if one does, but would prefer to get what I want when I want it (just a little sooner than the roughly 6 mos the dealer predicted for the Lightning).
4. Range (related to capability)- we want to go FAR into the woods.It’s hard to compete with a 2.7L and larger fuel tank, especially if towing and carrying stuff on racks. For a daily commuter, it’s perfect - run tons of errands but I think a hatchback EV will fit 80-90% of that bill too.
5. charging - watched a ton of vids and the charging ratesout out on the road still concern me. Again, for commuting: no problem!But towing a camper (or horses) and wiggling into some places that were understandably designed for smaller vehicles concerns me.

I may regret the decision… but do feel pretty good that plenty of ICE F150’s still make people happy and (usually!) don’t let them down. (My decision to focus on F150 is mostly based on reliability - it’s not perfect but does seem better than the other brands for most years).

good luck to everyone sticking with their Lightning orders - hope it ends up as cool as it promises!
Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
The hybrid seems much better for you. If they released a plug-in hybrid with at least 40 miles locked into full-performance all-electric driving and 600+ miles per tank (and good Pro Power Onboard), it would be loved by many.

wheelz2000

First Name
Wheelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT
From what you're describing your needs, you'd benefit from a truck like the powerboost. In warm weather, mine gets about 700 miles on a tank. With the pro power on board, I can hook up a powerstrip abd plug in a microwave and a coffee maker on my acreage to heat up food and make some coffee when the engine is running. It's really convenient. I've got the workspace and the tailgate step on mine so I can get my dogs in and out of the bed. I don't take any road trips, but the range is good if I needed to. You would love the poeerboost for going out in the woods. I plan to give my powerboost to my spouse when my turn comes to order the lightning. I can't see just giving up a great truck like that. Gonna trade her 2020 xlt in.. big difference going from the 2020 to a 2021.
Hope this helps with your search.

UNIKRN150

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
This technology is moving so fast, you made the right decision.

If you can afford to wait a year or two, your options are going to be MANY and you might not have to deal with Ford's "ourS HIT don't stink soF UCK YOU!" …customer service attitude.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Sounds like you need a 3.5 eco boost and a Honda generator, lol.

I’ll buy an EV when I can pull in to a station, swap my empty battery for a full one, in less than 10 min.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I jumped on the reservations as soon as I first saw them available (in Canada) and got the call a couple weeks ago that they’d start taking orders.

But after some soul-searching and honest questions to myself/family, I’ve decided to pass on this opportunity so thought I’d share my thought process:
1. Capability - don’t think anyone can argue the Lightning is billed to be quite capable. But I had to think what I’d be using the truck for as a truck: long trips into the wilds of BC, and towing to parks 100’s of km’s away. The last thing I wanted to be worrying about with family in the truck was “damnit, we’re low on juice and too far from a charger!” Northern Vancouver island may have some chargers but not enough for my comfort.
2.Price: I just can’t justify the cost of it, especially with the dealer markup (our dealer said “everyone wasmarking up $13k” on the phone, I think that’s what he said. Whatever the exact value,combined with the higher price to start with the ER battery, I just couldn’t justify it - and I’m a true believer in EV’s!)
3. Expediency- our two current vehicles are showing their age and COULD die. Yes I could get a used vehicle fairly quickly if one does, but would prefer to get what I want when I want it (just a little sooner than the roughly 6 mos the dealer predicted for the Lightning).
4. Range (related to capability)- we want to go FAR into the woods.It’s hard to compete with a 2.7L and larger fuel tank, especially if towing and carrying stuff on racks. For a daily commuter, it’s perfect - run tons of errands but I think a hatchback EV will fit 80-90% of that bill too.
5. charging - watched a ton of vids and the charging ratesout out on the road still concern me. Again, for commuting: no problem!But towing a camper (or horses) and wiggling into some places that were understandably designed for smaller vehicles concerns me.

I may regret the decision… but do feel pretty good that plenty of ICE F150’s still make people happy and (usually!) don’t let them down. (My decision to focus on F150 is mostly based on reliability - it’s not perfect but does seem better than the other brands for most years).

good luck to everyone sticking with their Lightning orders - hope it ends up as cool as it promises!
Understand your reasons!

Make sure you keep the deposit in place so that if your number comes up, you can sell your reservation to pay for a bit of your ICE....
Sponsored