• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GM can now use Tesla Supercharger network

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction

Chev Bolts need to have a dealer installed software update. All other GM products can charge using an adapter.

However, GM is NOT giving away their $225 adapter.
Sponsored

Last edited:

EFG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, chevy bolt, bmw 1200rt, 23 ford t-bucke
Occupation
software developer
I got my email letter from GM yesterday for my wife's 2019 Bolt. We are scheduled to have this upgrade done on Sept 24th. The email itself doesn't give a lot of details but the dealer tech I spoke with said it is an update to bring the older cars in line with the 2022 and later Bolts (Tom goes through that in his video) that came with this software already installed. He also said no support for Chevy Spark and EV1 (like that was ever gonna work), my son owns a Spark with DCFC so he is bummed out. Doesn't look like my Smart ForTwo electric will ever get Tesla SC support.

My 2023 Lightning works fine with Tesla but I did just get a new OTA update the other day regarding Tesla fixes.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Tesla owners are about to get even more annoyed at how crowded the superchargers will be.
Iโ€™ve stopped at 8, 12, and 20 stall Tesla chargers on I-95 and I-40 and the most crowded itโ€™s ever been is 3 vehicles including me. It might be different on the west coast but around here there is still plenty of capacity.

Wsl346

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Volvo XC60 T8, Many Bicycles
Iโ€™ve stopped at 8, 12, and 20 stall Tesla chargers on I-95 and I-40 and the most crowded itโ€™s ever been is 3 vehicles including me. It might be different on the west coast but around here there is still plenty of capacity.
100%! Outside of urban/suburban areas I've yet to see a SuperCharger site more than half-full. West Texas can be a lonely place. Many times I started and ended my charge as the only EV at the site. There is plenty of room for a few bolts slowly charging at 55kW.

Sponsored

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
It gets a little spicy around the northern NJ/NYC interchange areas. ABRP wanted me to stop at one that had 8 stalls and every time I looked there was either a 5-10 minute wait, or 1 stall open.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
My two sons, who both have '17 and '19 BOLTS, asked the same question:

"will this mean that the Supercharger option will charge the car FASTER??"

hmmmm.... probably not, since the max kWh speed for the BOLT is 50kw, but
my answer to them was more about 'convenience, and availability and locations', versus
arriving at most of the other charger options to find them non-working, or
slower than 50kw, or blocked by another EV already there.
EA and CP and EVgo and others obviously 'work', and have been the only option up until now, but just like the rest of the us, it gives us less 'anxiety', and more options.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've used MANY MANY Superchargers along the I75 GA/FL paths, and even Hwy280/I65 in AL, and have NO ISSUES with any of them: PLUG N CHARGE, with the adapter, is easy, works, and nobody there cares whether I am 'another' brand or not. I take up two spaces, most times, but that's just the way it is - we can't control that - Tesla laid out these locations, not Ford. They charge us more for this pleasure... well, unless you subscribe.

These, of course, are all the locations that are 'NACS Compatible' or 'Other EV' locations... as not every Supercharger location is, but there are plenty of both.
'Other EV' locations INCLUDE an adapter, without you having to have or bring your own.

I sent these Tesla Locations screen-shots to my sons, with Chevy Bolts, in N GA, and N AL.
Locations where you need to bring an Adapter are shown with NACS icons, and
locations where they already have a built-in adapter(fewer locations for sure) are shown with a LIGHTNING BOLT : )

Ford F-150 Lightning GM can now use Tesla Supercharger network img_8960-

Ford F-150 Lightning GM can now use Tesla Supercharger network img_8962-

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
It gets a little spicy around the northern NJ/NYC interchange areas. ABRP wanted me to stop at one that had 8 stalls and every time I looked there was either a 5-10 minute wait, or 1 stall open.
That 20 stall site I was at on I-95 (Roanoke Rapids, NC) is being expanded to 68 stalls. The 48 new ones are V4s and are under a solar canopy.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That 20 stall site I was at on I-95 (Roanoke Rapids, NC) is being expanded to 68 stalls. The 48 new ones are V4s and are under a solar canopy.
I need to start driving south some more. :oops:

Sponsored

InTheCloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Big winner here is Hyundai/Kia, as it reduces the likelihood of finding a Bolt tying up a 350 kW EA Charger.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Big winner here is Hyundai/Kia, as it reduces the likelihood of finding a Bolt tying up a 350 kW EA Charger.
Don't be so sure yet, the Bolt FB groups I stayed in to trol...I mean participate in...are all up in arms yelling at clouds wondering why they need to buy their NACS adapter for cars that have been discontinued for a while.

InTheCloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT
Don't be so sure yet, the Bolt FB groups I stayed in to trol...I mean participate in...are all up in arms yelling at clouds wondering why they need to buy their NACS adapter for cars that have been discontinued for a while.
Simple solution- they'll charge off Pro Power from any Lightning at Tesla Superchargers- An $80k adapter!

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I need to start driving south some more. :oops:
Tesla built a new site in Emporia, VA near the EA site and the 68 stall site is about 30 minutes south of that one. About 45 minutes south of the 68 stall one there is a Circle K with 10 CCS chargers and 20 Tesla Superchargers (Tesla only since there are CCS at the same site). Traveling south through NC is pretty good now.
Sponsored