• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Has anyone upgraded audio?

Madasahatter1138

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit
Occupation
Electronics Tech
Upgraded speakers today to Focal.
Exact fit for Fords, no splicing etc. IC Ford 690s in front and IC Ford 165 for rear. SG Audio block off plates.
Sounds great!
Easy install, maybe 2 hours going slow.
Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone upgraded audio? 20240622_125554
Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone upgraded audio? 20240622_104724
Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone upgraded audio? 20240622_111757
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Upgraded speakers today to Focal.
Exact fit for Fords, no splicing etc. IC Ford 690s in front and IC Ford 165 for rear. SG Audio block off plates.
Sounds great!
Easy install, maybe 2 hours going slow.
20240622_125554.jpg
20240622_104724.jpg
20240622_111757.jpg
Interesting - had no idea Focal made a product like that. I replaced everything some time back and went with the Focal Flax series. They are some great speakers.

Madasahatter1138

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit
Occupation
Electronics Tech
I didnt know either. In fact, I went on Crutchfield and bought some Kickers. The website of course said they "could not confirm fitment" for the Lightning, but said 6 3/4" speakers would fit for front and back...so I bought them. Took panels off to discover the fronts arw 6x9s..duh! I should have known..
So sending everything back to them.
Local shop here had these Focals, and the tech was very helpful and spent an hour with me researching them...so easy to install.

But I do still need a sub...need more Kick!

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
I upgraded my door speakers and added a sub this weekend. I got OEM replacement speakers by Powerbass and an HS10 sub by Kicker off amazon. Installed a LOC for the sub, block off plates, and sound deadening.

Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone upgraded audio? 20240622_131316
Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone upgraded audio? 20240622_112020
Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone upgraded audio? 20240622_145959

This took me all day Sat. It was mostly tediously placing deadening materials, but the trickiest part for me was running the power wire through the firewall. All very doable though. I'm very happy with the results.
I took a few more pictures and plan on doing a quick write-up of the process here soon.

Madasahatter1138

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit
Occupation
Electronics Tech
I upgraded my door speakers and added a sub this weekend. I got OEM replacement speakers by Powerbass and an HS10 sub by Kicker off amazon. Installed a LOC for the sub, block off plates, and sound deadening.

20240622_131316.jpg
20240622_112020.jpg
20240622_145959.jpg

This took me all day Sat. It was mostly tediously placing deadening materials, but the trickiest part for me was running the power wire through the firewall. All very doable though. I'm very happy with the results.
I took a few more pictures and plan on doing a quick write-up of the process here soon.
Great job. Can you tell me where the LOC is installed at? Behind the head unit? I just did the speakers this weekend and want to add the HS10 as well, just unsure where it installs and wiring path to HS10. How does the HS10 sound? Looking forward to your write up, thanks!!

Sponsored
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
Great job. Can you tell me where the LOC is installed at? Behind the head unit? I just did the speakers this weekend and want to add the HS10 as well, just unsure where it installs and wiring path to HS10. How does the HS10 sound? Looking forward to your write up, thanks!!
I installed it behind the glovebox. The T-harness pigtail was long enough to reach from behind the head unit. This is going to make any tuning or troubleshooting I need to do much easier.
Ford F-150 Lightning Has anyone upgraded audio? 20240624_080401

It is just sitting in front of the cabin filter. not really attached to anything so it can be moved easily.

Madasahatter1138

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit
Occupation
Electronics Tech
I installed it behind the glovebox. The T-harness pigtail was long enough to reach from behind the head unit. This is going to make any tuning or troubleshooting I need to do much easier.
20240624_080401.jpg

It is just sitting in front of the cabin filter. not really attached to anything so it can be moved easily.
Much appreciated! Do you think the HS10 behind the seat is good enough and does it interfere in any way? I really want mine there too so my dog has the floor to himself with a sub in the way.

asianman35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Antimatter Blue Pro
Much appreciated! Do you think the HS10 behind the seat is good enough and does it interfere in any way? I really want mine there too so my dog has the floor to himself with a sub in the way.
Im happy with the HS10, I dont need crazy bass, I listen to hard rock mostly and it adds a significant amoutn of bass, and i think i only have my gain set halfway.

I had a shop do my install because of routing the power wire and all the work involved with getting behind the radio. They did it in like 2 hours for $200. well worth it I think.

The speakers I did myself though a long time ago.

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
It definitely does not interfere in any way. This is the first time I've had a sub in any of my vehicles for probably close to 10 years now, so any bass sounds good to me. But coming from that, I'm happy with the HS10. I listen to a little bit of everything, and the sub has really filled in that gap at the low end.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I upgraded my door speakers and added a sub this weekend. I got OEM replacement speakers by Powerbass and an HS10 sub by Kicker off amazon. Installed a LOC for the sub,

20240622_131316.jpg
20240622_112020.jpg
20240622_145959.jpg

Have you noticed any difference with
block off plates, and sound deadening?

20240622_131316.jpg
20240622_112020.jpg
20240622_145959.jpg

Have you noticed any difference with having the sound deadening?

Sponsored
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
I can't really compare it to the factory setup because I did the deadening at the same time I swapped the speakers. I can say the doors sound different when I close them. Like the thump is deeper in pitch if that makes sense. I'll have to go for a drive down the interstate today with the radio off and see if the road noise is noticeably quieter.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I can't really compare it to the factory setup because I did the deadening at the same time I swapped the speakers. I can say the doors sound different when I close them. Like the thump is deeper in pitch if that makes sense. I'll have to go for a drive down the interstate today with the radio off and see if the road noise is noticeably quieter.
Ok thanks. I ordered the front, rear and the center speakers and I am debating on the block off plates.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I've also noticed a difference, however, I also installed the deadening at the same time I upgraded the speakers. Due to length of install, and my availability, I had to drive for 5 days without the drivers door finished (no deadening material). I can't say whether the block off plates or the sound deadening make the bigger difference, but the vehicle is quieter driving down the road.

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
Ok thanks. I ordered the front, rear and the center speakers and I am debating on the block off plates.
Went for a drive this morning. The road noise is probably quieter, but I can definitely say this. I won't ever hear the road noise now with the new speakers sounding so damn good! If you haven't got any sound-deading materials yet, I'd just swap the speakers out first and then decide. It's easy enough to pull the panels back off if you do decide to add it down the road.
Sponsored