• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Heat Turns On Automatically

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
A/C dries air when the weather is hot. Why would it make sense to use the heater too?
In the event evaporator ices over, a little extra heat could quicken the defrost cycle while the compressor pauses.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
One more point, has anyone verified that heats actually being generated by the PTC heater, I mean the indicator could simply show that its on standby, as the environmental conditions call for actual heat in the cabin it's ready to step into play.

Any FORSCAN experts know if there are PID'S for PTC current that can verify what is going on behind the scenes??

OP
OP
jmc6020

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
One more point, has anyone verified that heats actually being generated by the PTC heater, I mean the indicator could simply show that its on standby, as the environmental conditions call for actual heat in the cabin it's ready to step into play.

Any FORSCAN experts know if there are PID'S for PTC current that can verify what is going on behind the scenes??
I don’t know exactly what you are asking as I don’t understand all the terms but I can confirm that heat is definitely being generated. Instead of cool AC I feel warm air

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I don’t know exactly what you are asking as I don’t understand all the terms but I can confirm that heat is definitely being generated. Instead of cool AC I feel warm air
Positive Temperature Coefficient, it's a HVDC powered coolant heater that's used to warm the cabin and battery during the cold season.

Some of our members have diagnostic tools / scanners that might be able to observe what the control systems are actually doing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
In the event evaporator ices over, a little extra heat could quicken the defrost cycle while the compressor pauses.
From what I've determined, an evaporator core icing over happens when there's insufficient airflow.

So either the fan speed is too low, or the air filter is blocked. No source mentions high humidity as a reason.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
We're going down a rabbit hole , moisture on the evaporator core can lead to icing, I've experienced in real time, summer of 1972, 7 kids and two adults in a Mercury, road tripping in August from Perry County Illinois to Newport Rhode Island, that's 9 folks age 5 to 37 pumping out respiratory moisture, at some point in the trip the vents were shooting ice crystals as the system cycled to defrost the excessive accumulated moisture.

I'm simply trying to illustrate the logic of why this is happening and whether or not it's an actual problem, let's get back to diagnostic testing instead of speculation and over reactions that too much energy is being spent, Y'all taking hypermiling to an extreme.

Enjoy the the truck.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Suddenly the air started to feel warm and I check the climate control and the heat was on. This has happened to me at least 15 times
Does the heat stay on until you turn the desired temperature down or do you need to turn the heat from On to Off? Any chance the outside temperature sensor bounces down to 58F (as had happened to me when sitting for some time)? I think one has to drive above 20mph for 5 minutes to reset that outside temperature reading.

OP
OP
jmc6020

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does the heat stay on until you turn the desired temperature down or do you need to turn the heat from On to Off? Any chance the outside temperature sensor bounces down to 58F (as had happened to me when sitting for some time)? I think one has to drive above 20mph for 5 minutes to reset that outside temperature reading.
Every time it happens I go into the climate controls and turn the heat off. I don't know if I were to leave it if the truck would turn it off. I'm not looking to run the heat in the summer so I probably won't test that out until the cooler weather arrives soon

Fryballin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat 511A Iced Blue, Max Tow
My experience is that if outside temp is below what you set the cabin thermostat to, even if it’s just 1 degree. For example, it can be 73 degrees outside, and if I set the inside cabin temp to 74 on auto, the truck will use the heat to get the cabin warmer. This is most often noticed on morning commutes in spring/fall when the outside temp may be 65, and I want some airflow without cooling the cabin to 64 (which would be freezing in the morning for a 15 minute drive) but if I leave the cabin temp set above 65 (the outside temp for this example commute), then the truck will use the heat to get the cabin temp to say 68 degrees. I know this sounds silly because the truck is doing exactly what I’m indicating is comfortable for me, but so many times when its really warm outside, I find the truck is using the heat to keep the cabin temp exactly at the 72 degrees I have it set to and it’s inefficient when I would prefer it just cool the cabin to say 71 and then just kick the AC back on when it gets to 73 or 74.

Sponsored

Gewalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro (no options)
My heater will turn back on unless I manually select the vent mode (e.g. dash, footwell, both) after deselecting heat on the touch screen. This seems to enable the memory.

OP
OP
jmc6020

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My heater will turn back on unless I manually select the vent mode (e.g. dash, footwell, both) after deselecting heat on the touch screen. This seems to enable the memory.
I'll give that a try, thanks!

Downs08

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning, 22 E Transit, 22 Lexus RX350L
Occupation
Cabinet sales and installation
I wish Ford would put an indicator on the top of the Home Screen to let us know when the E heat is on. That way we could turn it off earlier to increase range.

ctburne

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
i find this happens to me, but I suspect it’s when I reach over to turn the volume button I inadvertently touch the heat or defrost icons thus activating the heat. It’s frustrating but I’m learning to use the volume buttons on the steering wheel.
I have found the same. It happens when I reach for the volume while a bump happens that causes my finger to touch that button on the other side of the volume dialer. I have trained myself to wait out bumps before attempting volume changes :)

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
I have searched for the "vent" condition for 3 months and just recently found it. I agree Gewalt above. Ford really dropped the ball with this "auto" setting. In my climate there are many times I do not want to expend battery energy just to get a flow of fresh air thru the cab.

The Owner's manual failed to even address how to have a vent condition, except for the moonroof.
Sponsored