• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Heat Turns On Automatically

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Something that is frustrating me is the heat turns on by itself. For example today I was driving with the AC on and the cabin temp set to 73 and AUTO on. The outside temperature was 83 according to the truck. Suddenly the air started to feel warm and I check the climate control and the heat was on. This has happened to me at least 15 times. I have tried turning AUTO off but it would still happen.
Sponsored

FordBookends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning Lariat, ‘68 Mustang Conv, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Engineer
I have that issue too. Seat heater and steering wheel heat sometimes turns on full heat with cabin temp at 71 and outside temp the same or higher.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
How humid was it at the time?

OP
OP
jmc6020

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess it was a little humid but not super soupy

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Suddenly the air started to feel warm and I check the climate control and the heat was on. This has happened to me at least 15 times. I have tried turning AUTO off but it would still happen.
This is weird. You're saying that the eHeat button was blue/on when you went to the climate screen after having observing that it was off? Have you tried leaving the full climate screen up and trying to observe the eHeat button turning itself on?

I'd try not using AUTO at all for a few days and see if it keeps happening after full truck off/on/drive cycles. I admit I don't use AUTO very often because the fan is usually too high or air coming out extra vents.

OP
OP
jmc6020

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is weird. You're saying that the eHeat button was blue/on when you went to the climate screen after having observing that it was off? Have you tried leaving the full climate screen up and trying to observe the eHeat button turning itself on?

I'd try not using AUTO at all for a few days and see if it keeps happening after full truck off/on/drive cycles. I admit I don't use AUTO very often because the fan is usually too high or air coming out extra vents.
Yes, exactly. Heat is definitely off and then randomly it is on at some point out of nowhere. It doesn't matter if I use AUTO or not it still does it. I had tried not using AUTO anymore and it still would happen.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Mine definitely does not do that.

I found early on that if I run my Mach-E in ”Auto” it just did whatever the hell it wanted to with no logical explanation, so I now never use auto in either vehicle.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I use auto all the time except to defog and it's rock solid.

Make sure your dash is clear and overhead panel is clear. There are sensors that if blocked will mess up HVAC delivery.

If everything is clear then bring it to Ford for warranty service.

Sponsored

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
I just recently (I've had my Pro SR for about seven months) noticed that climate control is controlled both by the switches on the center console (this probably isn't applicable to those of you with 15" screens) and a pop-up window on the center screen. The interaction between the two isn't exactly intuitive and you would think that the manual switches/buttons would override the screen setting - but not so much. The reality is that Ford (in fact, virtually all the legacy OEMs) writes pretty crappy software compared to the start-ups like Tesla and Rivian. One day it may get better. I hope.

Jimbalf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
i find this happens to me, but I suspect it’s when I reach over to turn the volume button I inadvertently touch the heat or defrost icons thus activating the heat. It’s frustrating but I’m learning to use the volume buttons on the steering wheel.

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Yes, exactly. Heat is definitely off and then randomly it is on at some point out of nowhere. It doesn't matter if I use AUTO or not it still does it. I had tried not using AUTO anymore and it still would happen.
Same. Doubly frustrating because on the 12" screen ford decided to hide the heat button on the display instead of giving it a dedicated button. Especially so because there are so many redundant buttons for media.

OP
OP
jmc6020

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i find this happens to me, but I suspect it’s when I reach over to turn the volume button I inadvertently touch the heat or defrost icons thus activating the heat. It’s frustrating but I’m learning to use the volume buttons on the steering wheel.
I don't think you are doing inadvertently at all. I am convinced it is either a bug or a bad engineering decision