• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How do we access "Tesla Destination Chargers" and Tesla "Station Not Compatible" (according to Ford Pass)?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Just to make sure I understand, based on my assumptions, the Ford Supercharger adapter only passes through DC current, so it cannot be used on Tesla AC L1/L2 chargers. And if we want to use a Tesla L1/L2 charger, we need something aftermarket like Tesla Tap, and if we have a 22/23 Lightning, to be on the safe side it needs to be an 80a version to make it impossible to overheat if we aren't paying attention to the amp rating of the charger. Does this sound correct?

I'm gradually making a collection of adapters to keep in the truck as I foresee needing one. I just ordered a 1.5ft NEMA 14-50 extension cord with a straight plug to use at a friend's house. Their 14-50 receptacle is recessed in a weatherproof box and the right-angle plug on my mobile charger won't fit. Might not ever need it again but you never know. I also got a 14-50 adapter for the 30a ProPower socket so I can plug in a mobile charger in case I need to rescue someone.
Yes, all SuperCharger adapters only work on SuperChargers.

Yes, if you use a Tesla Destination charger with the Lightning, you need to make sure that the adapter you use is rated for the power output of the destination charger. SOME are as high as 80amps. Most are not. The Tesla Tap USED TO BE the only good option, but A2Z's Stellar adapter is the same rating and less than 1/2 the price. See post #11 for the combo deal info. I own a Tesla Tap Mini, but when I got my Lightning I went with the Stellar adapter for it.

Make sure that the 14-50 outlet you are using at your friend's house is on a circuit rated for 40amps or higher, since the truck will pull 30amps and you can't slow that down. Sometimes people put a 14-50 outlet on a 30amp circuit.
Sponsored

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER

Yes, if you use a Tesla Destination charger with the Lightning, you need to make sure that the adapter you use is rated for the power output of the destination charger. SOME are as high as 80amps. Most are not. The Tesla Tap USED TO BE the only good option, but A2Z's Stellar adapter is the same rating and less than 1/2 the price. See post #11 for the combo deal info. I own a Tesla Tap Mini, but when I got my Lightning I went with the Stellar adapter for it.

Make sure that the 14-50 outlet you are using at your friend's house is on a circuit rated for 40amps or higher, since the truck will pull 30amps and you can't slow that down. Sometimes people put a 14-50 outlet on a 30amp circuit.
Thanks for the clarification and info!

My friend's house is newly built and it was installed by an electrician, so I would be very surprised if it's not on at least a 40a circuit. They had it installed in the carport specifically for future EV charging. I wonder if code even allows a 14-50 on a <40a circuit?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Thanks for the clarification and info!

My friend's house is newly built and it was installed by an electrician, so I would be very surprised if it's not on at least a 40a circuit. They had it installed in the carport specifically for future EV charging. I wonder if code even allows a 14-50 on a <40a circuit?
Code does not. That doesn't mean people don't do it.

The next thing to check is whether the outlet is a cheap one from Home Depot or an industrial outlet meant to take a continuous load. Although, if you're just using it for a few hours once in a while, likely not your issue.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING

Just a little additional info - the Standard Range (SR) battery equipped Lightnings won't draw more than 48A even if the destination charger or any other L2 EVSE can deliver more, e.g., 80A. The 48A is the limit the on-board charging circuitry allows for.

If you have an Extended Range (ER) battery, then be aware of the possibility of drawing 80A @ L2 charging. The on-board charging circuitry is different and can draw up to 80A.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
A 50A receptacle on a 40A circuit is allowed everywhere in the US unless the NEC is superseded by local amendment. The reason is because thereā€™s no such thing as a 40A receptacle configuration.

Worked just fine for 50 years until these dang EVs came along! šŸ˜†

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Damned dude, I was just stating a couple facts about whatā€™s in the NEC and why itā€™s there. Iā€™m not defending itā€¦. It is what it is.

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military
Lectron is marketing a "Tesla to J1772" charging adapter and implies that non-Tesla EVs can access Tesla Destination Chargers and Tesla Home Chargers. Has anyone figured out if this is for real, and done it?

Also, I am finding Ford Pass labelling chargers as "Station Not Compatible" that, under inspection, non-Tesla's (VW, Kia) are using. If they can use it, can't Lightnings use it too, with the correct adapter
Although I mostly charge at home, I have both the Lectron Tesla Destination and the Supercharger adapters and they both work well. I have not experienced any problems yet.
Sponsored