• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How do you plan on charging your lightning

How do you plan on charging your lightning

• Total voters

vacasity

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning 2022 XLT
Just curious on how you all are planning to charge your lightning and does it really save money. I'm from California and just installed solar. When we put on the solar we over built our system to plan for an EV. So far we are way over producing and what we make on solar will completely cover our charging bill. PG&E is our electric provider and they just increased their rate by about 12% I believe. Depending on what rate plan you have the rates are roughly $0.31 per kWh, they also have special EV rate plan to drop off-peak charging times to $0.24 per kWh, but your peak demand times jump up to $0.56 per kWh.
Taking that the SR battery has 98 kWh battery with 230 miles range, we would get 2.35 miles/kWh. My daily commute is 70 miles, and taking PG&E rate of $0.31 per kWh it would cost me $9.23 per commute. My commuter Honda Civic gets 25 MPG and with current gas at $5.25, my commute price is $14.7.

Enough with the rambling, just curious how you all plan on charging or currently charge your other EV's.
For me its obviously Home with Solar and my work does offer free EV charging, so it will be a combo of both.
Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
We are currently part of a CSA (community solar array) and will be switching to solar on our roof this summer. We are paying for a 4 percent share of the output of a large solar array. We get the solar incentive on our bill and net metering credit for our share. Our usage will be going up (xc40 EV is less efficient than Chevy Bolt, lightning will be about as efficient as the xc90 phev, but will go many more miles on electric than the xc90 and the Tacoma is gas only). Our rooftop solar will be oversized because we don't know exactly how much we will use and may add a heat pump in the future for heating and cooling. Also our solar will be grid tied so the choice of home solar and home electricity are not mutually exclusive.

OP
OP

vacasity

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We are currently part of a CSA (community solar array) and will be switching to solar on our roof this summer. We are paying for a 4 percent share of the output of a large solar array. We get the solar incentive on our bill and net metering credit for our share. Our usage will be going up (xc40 EV is less efficient than Chevy Bolt, lightning will be about as efficient as the xc90 phev, but will go many more miles on electric than the xc90 and the Tacoma is gas only). Our rooftop solar will be oversized because we don't know exactly how much we will use and may add a heat pump in the future for heating and cooling. Also our solar will be grid tied so the choice of home solar and home electricity are not mutually exclusive.
My solar is also grid tied and I guess that’s what I meant in the poll above. Our solar offsets any grid electricity we use through net metering, I’ll know more after we have it for a year and actually see that true up bill.

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2 Order: 22 Lariat 500A/3.5 EB/FX4/Max Tow/+
My 10KW backup generator… give it something to do…. :)

Sponsored

jaykoolzboy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai Ioniq&Kona, Honda FCV
Occupation
IT Consultant
For most people it's going to be combination of different methods.

1. We have a 36A charger installed in front of our garage, this will be our primary charging method (roughly 7.0 - 7.2 Kw per hour)

2. I also have memberships for EVGO (fortunately we have the 350Kw 150Kw charger available in the area)

OP
OP

vacasity

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For most people it's going to be combination of different methods.

1. We have a 36A charger installed in front of our garage, this will be our primary charging method (roughly 7.0 - 7.2 Kw per hour)

2. I also have memberships for EVGO (fortunately we have the 350Kw 150Kw charger available in the area)
I don't have an EVSE yet, but I was thinking on getting the Charge Point Flex, hardwired to charge at 48A.

jaykoolzboy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai Ioniq&Kona, Honda FCV
Occupation
IT Consultant
I don't have an EVSE yet, but I was thinking on getting the Charge Point Flex, hardwired to charge at 48A.
Highly Recommending, nothing beats out wake up every morning with full tank of fuel in your car.

Sponsored

Vorador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Ford Escape
Thanks, i keep going back and forth between that and the juicebox.
Both are good chargers. If my F150 didn't come with the pro charging station I probably would have gone with chargepoint flex.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I bought a 240V ADJUSTABLE EVSE two years before I bought an EV. Having the ability to set charge rate was important to me. Lucky for me it worked. Been using it for 4 years almost every night. I have no need for a smart charger. My electric company and onboard car reports tell me power usage. If that charger dies then I'd get a Grizzl-e probably.

I did buy a 240V off one of those sites that sell Amazon returns for $100 just because it can plug into a generator. Took me a bit to get past that grounding issue.

I also keep 5 charging accounts or at least their apps. You can't have too many of them.
In my area I have Electrify America, EVgo and Chargepoint. See if you canget the rfid cards just in case no phone.

bwcbwc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler
I have a 32A ClipperCreek at home that I bought back in 2017 for my Bolt. At that point I would charge overnight each night.

Shortly before Covid, I moved to a new office that has a bunch of free(!!) Level 2 chargers in the company lot. So I started doing as much charging as possible at the office.

When I had the Bolt, I'd be able to plug in when I got to the office and have it be fully charged by lunchtime, so I'd go out and move the car to free up the station for someone else.

That'll be my plan for the Lightning as well. Will be interesting to see if I'm able to get it fully charged over the course of the morning like I did for the Bolt.

Deleted member 9341

I can vouch for the ChargePoint Flex. I have 2 and they’re fast and 100% reliable so far.