• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

shoopg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
Finally! With the help of both @Livnitup and @Jesse-Infotainment we figured out why the light bars don't immediately light up when plugging them into a truck that isn't equipped with the light bar from the factory. As far as I can tell, every truck should be prewired, but its very possible that extreme base model Pros without any options might not be prewired. If you're worried about this, take a multimeter and probe the pins in the connector for voltage and ground. (There's a diagram further down in the post)

Shoutout to the thread by @KurtsRPMGarage - I learned a lot of things that set me on the right path to figuring this out.

Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704676878809

Things You'll Need:
  • ForScan v2.4.9 Beta + high quality USB OBD adapter (OBDLink EX)
  • LDCM Firmware
  • 2x M6 Nuts - W712232S450B
    • The dealer wants $11 for each one. If you're a purist, the part number is above.
    • I used this $5.99 kit on Amazon with one day shipping and came with 53 extra.
  • 5x M6 Spring Nuts & Bolts - W520802S439
    • The dealer sells these in packs of 4 for $11. You need 5 so you'd need to buy 2 packs, and it doesn't come with bolts.
    • I used this $16.99 kit on Amazon that came with 10 spring nuts, washers, and bolts.
  • 1x Plastic Trim Clip
    • I bought a kit of trim tools awhile ago that came with extra clips. The one I ended up using was around 8mm.
    • You can probably skip this, I don't even know if other Lightnings have this clip, but it made sense to me and I had extras so I did.
Tools:
  • 10mm socket and ratchet
  • Plastic trim tools
  • Dremel/Rotary Tool to cut the fake/blank light bar from the stock grille

Notes:
  • Make sure the truck is unplugged from the EVSE before programming.
  • If you have the light bar plugged in prior to programming, you may need to clear codes in the modules before programming.
Issues I ran into. Programming the LDCMA and LDCMB kept failing. I got the LDCMA to work after I unplugged the level 2 charger from the charge port. Then I got the LDCMB to work after I cleared any existing DTC codes. After that everything worked great.

Installing the Light Bar:
Removing the grille is fairly easy. Pop the frunk, and remove 10 plastic push pins, 5 from each side of the grille.
Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704668154306

Next, remove 8 bolts from the grille, 4 on each side
Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704668204810

Now pull forward on the grille to disengage the retention clips.
Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704668268678

Be careful here. The grille will have some wiring connected to the forward camera (1) and frunk release button (2). You also might have a hose connected to the front camera washer (3). These should all be fairly easy to remove but I did break the locking clip on my camera connector so go slow and take your time. Once you get everything disconnected you can set the grille aside.
Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro IMG_2351

Now, lets mount our new light bar. Grab your 5 M6 spring nuts and insert them into the slots on the grille reinforcement. The spring nuts should be oriented like the picture below, with the nut behind the grille reinforcement. These just slide in to these 5 positions:
Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704669075732
Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704668999440

We can now bolt up our new light bar! There are two studs mounted in the light bar that slot into the grille reinforcement be careful not to ding your paint and to align these into their home while mounting the light bar.

Thread your 5 M6 bolts into the spring nuts, but don't tighten everything, keep things loose so you can make sure the light bar is straight and aligned. I used the ~8mm push pin in the center mounting location.
Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704669509214

Then secure the studs on the light bar to the grille reinforcement. Slowly tighten things down as you make sure the light bar is sitting nice and aligned with the hood.
Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704669446146

Now use your trim tools to get rid of the empty light bar connector, push the connector from the light bar into the grille reinforcement and connect your light bar to the truck!
Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704669740837
Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704669834787

Programming:
The light bar is directly connected to the back of each headlight. Each headlight has a module behind it called the LDCM. These step the voltage up to 36v to run the DRLs in the headlights as well as the light bar. By default if your truck isn't equipped with a light bar it just won't output the 36 volts needed to run the light bar.

Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704676966737
Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704676989463

If you want to double check the wiring to make sure you're prewired before you buy a light bar, put a multimeter between pin 10 and pin 6 on the connector and you should have some small voltage (mine was at 2 volts.) Pin 10 should have continuity to ground.

Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704677140725

Now on to the actual programming. If you suspect you have a low 12 volt battery, it may be worth your time to connect the truck to a 12v battery charger. If voltage goes too low during programming you risk bricking the modules. These modules don't take long at all to program but don't say I didn't warn you. Make sure you have the files I've linked above downloaded and extracted somewhere on your computer. Using Forscan, jump into the module firmware update section, and start with LDCMA. The screen will look like this. Switch the "Available" box over to custom, and using the boxes with the 3 dots, select the firmware file, one at a time corresponding to the correct number. Forscan should only show you compatible files, but I would double check everything. Once you have 3 green boxes hit the program button.

Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704677582097

Half your light bar should now be lit up! If it isn't, try performing a forced module reset on the module you just programmed.
Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704677949868

Repeat the same steps for LDCMB and you should have a fully functioning light bar. You may need to clear codes in both modules, you can do so with Forscan. I had 2-3 codes in each module.

Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704678057650

Work On The Grille:
This is arguably the most tedious and annoying part (its not that bad) or you can spend the $1000+ to buy an OEM XLT/Lariat/Platinum grille lol. My dremel kept dying so if you have the choice between a corded dremel and a cordless, go for the corded. Start from the front side and begin making a cut just under the fake/blank light bar. I tried not to get too close to the edge of the grille. Once you have a solid cut going I found it easier to cut from the back side. You'll have 4 retainer mounts to contend with and if you can see what you're doing around the area it becomes much easier.
Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704678451148

Once you've got it separated, at each end of the grille make sure you completely remove any remnants of the mounting tabs. I left a little bit at each end and when I went to test fit the grille, those tabs hit the light bar. A quick zip with the dremel took care of them.
Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704678556347
Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704678591143

Knock off any plastic slag from the dremel work and start mounting the grille back up. It should snug up just like it was when you first took it off. You should only be left with a dummy plug, and two coarse threaded screws from the grille.

Now sit back and admire your work!

Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Front Light Bar on Lightning Pro 1704676878809
Sponsored

Last edited:

KurtsRPMGarage

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 22 Tesla Model 3, 03 C5 Z06
Occupation
Geologist
You the man! Thanks shoopg.

OP
OP
shoopg

shoopg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
Congratulations on figuring this out. Looks like a great team effort.

Now your PRO's will be just as ugly as the rest of the Lightnings. :)
LOL, some days I hated the look of the plain Pro grille, some days I loved it. I think I decided I wanted to swap it out because the grille has a fake looking lightbar instead of just being one giant smooth continuous grille.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Well done! I think the minimum requirement may be the Tow Tech Package on the Pro's.

Sponsored
OP
OP
shoopg

shoopg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
Well done! I think the minimum requirement may be the Tow Tech Package on the Pro's.
Very possible. If someone with a base Pro could hit the pins with a multimeter we'd have a definitive answer. I made a chart with all of the engine harnesses and their options. The suffixes of the harness are in the first column, 2.4kw on board power is power inverter 3, 9.6kw onboard power is twin power inverter, and the third column is onboard scales. My truck uses the EY harness which is the same as a fully loaded Platinum. XLTs don't come with 9.6kw or scales by default so there's some hope that the Pro uses the same harness.

CQPower Inverter 3Onboard Scale
EWPower Inverter 3Less Mass Movement
EXPower Inverter 3Onboard Scale
EYTwin Power InverterOnboard Scale
EZTwin Power InverterLess Mass Movement

I would say EY and EZ are probably safe bets for the wiring being present, but I also have a fairly early 2022 Pro and parts sharing could've been more prevalent. We'll definitely need more people with different option configurations to probe the connector.

BhamDCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro ER
Looks awesome. Well done guys.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does cutting a hole in the grille for the light bar create new opportunities for water to get into the frunk? What is keeping water from getting into places it shouldn’t be?

OP
OP
shoopg

shoopg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
Looks awesome. Well done guys.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does cutting a hole in the grille for the light bar create new opportunities for water to get into the frunk? What is keeping water from getting into places it shouldn’t be?
Nope, we just have to cut the fake light bar from the grille. The frunk seals with the rubber gasket that surrounds the opening.

How much do the lightbars cost? What's the part number?
I got mine for $300 on eBay. From the dealer they are part number NL3Z13200A usually around $600 new.

BhamDCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro ER
Oh duh. That makes sense. Like I said, I thought it might be a dumb question. 🙃

Sponsored

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
These kinds of threads are what make me think I’ll be spending more in retirement than while I’m still working.

kstevens

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning PRO, 2015 Nissan Leaf S
This made my day - thanks @shoopg - can’t wait to do this!

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
Does the truck come with a plug for the light bar that is just not used? Or did you have to pull that plug from somewhere else?

Thanks

asianman35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Antimatter Blue Pro
hey @shoopg , this is a great write-up, been waiting awhile for someone to figure this out! I just ordered a light bar off ebay, but not sure when I'll get around to installing it or having a shop do it for me. Do you see any issue with doing the programming portion before actually installing the light bar? I want to have it plug-n-play ready for when I do install the light bar.

OP
OP
shoopg

shoopg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Pro
hey @shoopg , this is a great write-up, been waiting awhile for someone to figure this out! I just ordered a light bar off ebay, but not sure when I'll get around to installing it or having a shop do it for me. Do you see any issue with doing the programming portion before actually installing the light bar? I want to have it plug-n-play ready for when I do install the light bar.
If you program it without the light bar plugged in the drls in your headlights will stop working and throw open circuit codes.

Does the truck come with a plug for the light bar that is just not used? Or did you have to pull that plug from somewhere else?

Thanks
So far every Pro has had the connector behind the grille. There is some concern that base model pros may not have the wiring all the way to the power source though.
Sponsored