• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How To: Replacing broken retractable hook (grocery bag hook) in frunk.

scruvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT Standard Range
I edited this post to show how to replace a broken retractable hook (grocery bag hook) in the frunk.

1. Order Part.

The hook is part no. NL3Z-26313A68-AA and can be ordered here.

My Ford Dealership sold the hook for ~$22. I ordered from the site above for $21, so I didn't have to take a trip back to the dealership.

2. Remove Old Hook.

To remove the old hook, it helps to see the prongs on the back of the hook. I waited for the new part to arrive to inspect the prongs, but the prongs on the old hook didn't match the new hook. Below is a picture of the old hook. The tape on the back of the housing is explained later.

Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Replacing broken retractable hook (grocery bag hook) in frunk. 1.5 Old Part

The old hook has prongs on the top and the bottom.

To remove the old hook, I used needle-nose pliers to clasp on to the bottom of the housing just above the bottom bezel. There is an existing slit above the bottom bezel that allows you to clasp onto the bottom of the housing. Then, pull up and out as shown in the video below.

3. Clean Up Tape.

On my 2023 XLT, the passenger side hook closest to the cab had weatherproof foam tape on the back of the hook housing on the backside of the frunk. The passenger side hook closest to the front bumper on the side of the truck did not have weatherproof foam tape on the back. I'm assuming the two hooks closest to the cab are taped, but not the ones on the sides, but I haven't checked the driver side to confirm.

The image below shows how the weatherproof tape tore as I removed the hook.

Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Replacing broken retractable hook (grocery bag hook) in frunk. 3 Removal Image

I popped off the side panel to access the back of the frunk and peeled off as much tape as I could with my fingers. A couple blisters later, most of the tape was removed.

Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Replacing broken retractable hook (grocery bag hook) in frunk. 4 Remove old tape

4. Insert New Hook.

The new hook doesn't have prongs on the bottom (sorry no photo). This makes it much easier to insert, and likely easier to remove later. Insert the top first and then push in the bottom.

5. Tape the Back.

I taped the back of the hook with some rubber tape. I only taped the seams and decided to use removable tape instead of permanent Flex Seal, so that I could remove it later if I needed to replace this part. Below is an image of the bottom of the hook showing the tape on the back side. And, a picture from the back showing the new tape on the seams. Next time that I open the side panel, I'll add another piece of tape to cover the daylight showing at the top of the hook on the back side.

Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Replacing broken retractable hook (grocery bag hook) in frunk. 7 Sealed with Tape

Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Replacing broken retractable hook (grocery bag hook) in frunk. 8 Back sealed with tape

6. Enjoy.

I hope this helps anyone who has a broken hook and wants to replace it.

Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Replacing broken retractable hook (grocery bag hook) in frunk. 6 New Part inserted

Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Replacing broken retractable hook (grocery bag hook) in frunk. 9 Frunk Image

-scruvs

Edit: Deleted this post after I answered my own question.

Added a How-To in the original post in case anyone else needs to replace a broken hook.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Go easy on the ratchet strap tension, was that how the orignal broke?

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
Cargo net may work better for you. Less stress on the hooks.

Ford F-150 Lightning How To: Replacing broken retractable hook (grocery bag hook) in frunk. IMG_2918

Sponsored
OP
OP

scruvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cargo net may work better for you. Less stress on the hooks.

IMG_2918.jpeg
Yea, probably. But, I like having that ratchet strap there and ready to go, if I need to tie something down without digging out my other straps.

The ratcheting pressure is only on the metal tie downs on the floor. I just tie off the tag end of the strap to the hooks. But, I still managed to pull too tight to break a hook when I was tying off the tag end.

OP
OP

scruvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I 3D printed a new one for about $0.25. Its not a perfect fit for lightning, it does not lock in the closed position, but works perfectly fine otherwise.

https://www.printables.com/model/358572
Thanks for posting the links to these files. Looks great. So, you re-used the original housing and popped this hook in place of the old one?

flyin525

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Thanks for posting the links to these files. Looks great. So, you re-used the original housing and popped this hook in place of the old one?
Yes, In my case the pins on the hook broke, not the housing.
Sponsored