Install Homelink Garage Door Opener Somewhere on the Dash

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford F150 Lightning Flash
I have seen others on here change out the mirror for one with Homelink in a Lightning so they have a built in garage door opener, but I was wondering if anyone had ever taken the same module that is in the visor of Lariat and above models and built that into the dashboard? From my understanding, the trims below the Lariat don't have any power run to the visor (no mirror lights) so putting it there isn't an option. I imagine it would be a lot of work, and even include some cutting to make the opening, but the biggest question is getting power to the unit.

Has anyone done this, or have any experience with what might need to be done? This is what I found online for the module. Since the Lightning doesn't have the 4x4 selector by the trailer brake, I thought that might be a good opening to put something like this.

This is what I found online for the module:

https://www.amazon.com/HomeLink-60-...pcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A3ELPGJLYNL7Q4
Sponsored

Quibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Raptor
Do certain trim levels not have homelink? Or did Ford remove homelink for MY 2024?

Our 2023 Lariat has it on the driver's sun visor.

OP
OP

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do certain trim levels not have homelink? Or did Ford remove homelink for MY 2024?

Our 2023 Lariat has it on the driver's sun visor.
I think only Lariat and above have it in the visor. For trims below that it’s not even an option. It was available on my ‘24 Flash.

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23.5 MachE GTPE & '24 Lightning Lariat
I don’t trust home link. I personally know instances where home link was used to gain access to the house. Ever consider using your phone to open/close the garage door? In fact, in CarPlay, when I am near home, there is a garage door button on the screen.

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I don’t trust home link. I personally know instances where home link was used to gain access to the house. Ever consider using your phone to open/close the garage door? In fact, in CarPlay, when I am near home, there is a garage door button on the screen.
How did you get a button in carplay for your garage door?

Sponsored

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Studio truck driver
I have seen others on here change out the mirror for one with Homelink in a Lightning so they have a built in garage door opener, but I was wondering if anyone had ever taken the same module that is in the visor of Lariat and above models and built that into the dashboard? From my understanding, the trims below the Lariat don't have any power run to the visor (no mirror lights) so putting it there isn't an option. I imagine it would be a lot of work, and even include some cutting to make the opening, but the biggest question is getting power to the unit.

Has anyone done this, or have any experience with what might need to be done? This is what I found online for the module. Since the Lightning doesn't have the 4x4 selector by the trailer brake, I thought that might be a good opening to put something like this.

This is what I found online for the module:

https://www.amazon.com/HomeLink-60-...pcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A3ELPGJLYNL7Q4
Adding the home link lighted visor is super easy bud. I did it in my XLT power boost. While I was at it I also added the lighted visor on the passenger side. Just ran up 2 small gauge wires up the passenger side a piller for power. Took less than an hour. I even got the female plugs for both sides so that if the visors had to be removed it was like factory. Just unplug.

OP
OP

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Adding the home link lighted visor is super easy bud. I did it in my XLT power boost. While I was at it I also added the lighted visor on the passenger side. Just ran up 2 small gauge wires up the passenger side a piller for power. Took less than an hour. I even got the female plugs for both sides so that if the visors had to be removed it was like factory. Just unplug.
Good to know. I didn’t think it was that easy when power wasn’t run to the mirrors already.

OP
OP

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have MyQ, but they don’t allow CarPlay to show that app. If there’s another system that allows that I’d ditch MyQ is a second. That would be the ideal situation!

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion energi
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Good to know. I didn’t think it was that easy when power wasn’t run to the mirrors already.
Yeah it’s not bad. I tapped power from a key on fuse in the bcm which is at the base of the passenger side a piller.

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

F150Flash

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2023
Occupation
Retired accountant
The car play suggestion caught my attention. I have Aladdin Connect on my iphone and can use it to open my garage doors. However, it doesn't show up on my truck car play menu. Anyone know what determines what apps will show up on the truck car play? Some do some don't.

RaspPiDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Flash (ER), Oxford White
Occupation
Software Development, Automotive Industry
FWIW, if you have something integrated with Siri/Alexa/Google, you can hold the voice button on the steering wheel and ask the assistant to open your garage door.

With that being said... In an old Jeep I put a nice metal arcade button into the A-pillar plastic, and behind I wired it to a simple aftermarket battery-powered garage door opener (I soldered to the button contacts on the PCB). It looked so good and worked for years before I traded it!

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The car play suggestion caught my attention. I have Aladdin Connect on my iphone and can use it to open my garage doors. However, it doesn't show up on my truck car play menu. Anyone know what determines what apps will show up on the truck car play? Some do some don't.
It has to show up in your Apple “Home” for it to show up on the CarPlay front page. Basically, the opener needs to support Apple HomeKit. I will take a photo when I get home.

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
For iPhone you go to Settings - General -CarPlay-(select vehicle if needed) -Customize.

From there you can select which app to see on truck screen and in what order. At the bottom of screen are More apps that are CarPlay eligible. If it is not on that page, then it does not have a CarPlay version.
Sponsored