• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Installing an Electronic Rust Protection Module

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Super Cab Carbonized Grey 3.5 EC 302A 6.5 Box
Occupation
Electrician, Retired
I am from Manitoba and up here the highways department use a lot of salt on the roads to melt the ice during the winter. I am thinking of installing an electronic rust protection module on my 21 XLT 302a. I know the body is aluminum, but there is still a lot of steel parts that do rust. I am wondering what effect the module will have on the "TECK" on the truck. If I understand the principal behind these rust modules is that they pulse a small current through the truck body. Has anyone installed one or know of someone who has installed one on the newer vehicles with all the teck on board and if any problems have shown up? Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I know of a couple of people who have put them on their cars and the modules have even stopped brake rotors from rusting when the cars sit for long periods of time.
Sponsored

NomoF150

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too Many
Occupation
Retired Military
Long story short... but no, it will not stop the frame and other metal parts on your truck from rusting. All metals, whether it's iron, steel, aluminum will corrode over time. Best bet is each fall take it into a place that does something like Oilgard or other oil based coating and have them spray it down. It won't stop it , but it will delay it and won't cause harm like old style undercoatings used to.

Just my 2cts..

jeffrt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 5.0L
My 2010 F-150 that I just traded in had one of these installed when I bought it used, and the rockers were completely rusted out on both sides by the time I got rid of it. Not sure it did anything at all.

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
I am thinking of installing an electronic rust protection module on my 21 XLT 302a. I know the body is aluminum, but there is still a lot of steel parts that do rust. I am wondering what effect the module will have on the "TECK" on the truck. If I understand the principal behind these rust modules is that they pulse a small current through the truck body.
This type of rust protection is called Induced Current Cathodic Protection (ICCP), and it does not work for cars. To work effectively your truck frame would need to be submerged in an electrolyte (wet soil or sea water) to allow for the flow of electrons between a cathode (truck frame) and an anode (sacrificial metal).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kanuck

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Super Cab Carbonized Grey 3.5 EC 302A 6.5 Box
Occupation
Electrician, Retired
Happy New Year everybody.

I will not be wasting my money on one of thee things. I will just make sure that the truck is washed on a regular bases and repaint any parts underneath that requires it. Which I have been doing for years anyways. Was just looking for an easy way out, but, easy is not always the best.
Sponsored