• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lack of Acceptable (EV) Ford Service

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
Are there any strategies for identifying competent dealers for EV service? Is there any recourse when they waste your time?

I brought my vehicle in for the following clearly listed in the appointment:
A) 10,000 mile: tire rotation and inspection items​
B) Diagnose and remedy vehicle software not updating​
C) Address Campaign #23B57​
D) Address Campaign # 22G06​
E) Address Recall #23S30/23V418​
I rearranged my schedule to let them have the vehicle for the day. They call me after 6h saying the vehicle is done. When I pick it up, they say they rotated the tires and did nothing else. The warranty technician left for the day before looking at my vehicle. Why did I make an appointment if their staff is just going to leave before even looking at the vehicle?

This is very frustrating experience with a $90k truck. I replied to the managers asking me how their service was letting them know it was completely unacceptable. They don't reply to email. They don't answer their phones. It's completely unacceptable and they don't care.

I can try another dealer, but how do I know it won't be the same and waste even more of my time? Does Ford let their dealers ruin their name like this?
Sponsored

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I've had similar experience. Make an appointment, and then they don't even look at it it for days. The appt is just an appt to drop it off, not to actually work on it. Crazy. I mean, I get that there is some unpredictability in their schedule, and if customers miss their appointments, they can't have technicians standing around. (the doctors office problem). But if I drop it off today, I expect you to have someone on it no later than tomorrow. Otherwise, why do you have it?

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Are there any strategies for identifying competent dealers for EV service? Is there any recourse when they waste your time?

I rearranged my schedule to let them have the vehicle for the day. They call me after 6h saying the vehicle is done. When I pick it up, they say they rotated the tires and did nothing else. The warranty technician left for the day before looking at my vehicle. Why did I make an appointment if their staff is just going to leave before even looking at the vehicle?

This is very frustrating experience with a $90k truck. I replied to the managers asking me how their service was letting them know it was completely unacceptable. They don't reply to email. They don't answer their phones. It's completely unacceptable and they don't care.

I can try another dealer, but how do I know it won't be the same and waste even more of my time? Does Ford let their dealers ruin their name like this?
This is insane to me, the dealer I go to is excellent and I drive thirty minutes to them for that specific reason. Back when I thought I might have a trunk module issue, they ordered a trunk module for me and even when I got it working again, they agreed to hold onto it for a couple months in case it acted up again and needed replacement.

During my first service there, they weren't familiar with the Lightning and its odd 12V battery door and so they pulled outwards instead of up, breaking one of the tabs. They must not have noticed, but I did when I got home. I immediately called them and they apologized and asked me to come back at my earliest convenience so that they could take a look. I show up a couple days later, talk to them, a service manager takes one look and says "You're absolutely right, I'm sorry about that, we'll get a new one ordered and have you taken care of in a couple days." Within 3-4 days the new door had arrived and they gave it to me and we did the swap in the parking lot. No fuss, no mess.

When scheduling if it's a service or repair that should take a day or less, they give me an option to schedule as a "wait" or "drop-off". Because I always drive there and rarely have a friend who can give me a ride back, I'm always scheduling as "wait" and havenever had to leave without my truck.

I haven't yet brought it in for the recall or CSPs but I have no doubt that they'll take care of me well.

It really sounds like you need to find a new dealer.

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
It's sadly very common for dealerships to not be able to fully know what to do with your vehicle.

Most dealerships only have one guy who decided to get qualified for EVs and even then it's probably not an intensive course...more of a "what not to do" and "plug it into the computer to diagnose" training. Afterwards, they have manuals on how to change some of the parts IF the diagnosis was properly done. This, is two parts dealerships fault and 1 part Ford's fault, both of which should have pressured more technicians to get "qualified".

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Tear them a new hole when the FORD Survey comes in...

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I haven't graced the doors of a Ford dealer, dealership, or anything close to that since I received my truck August of 2022... I not only don't trust that they really have any more knowledge of EVs, or this truck specifically, versus anyone else, but also have not needed anything for them to 'look at' in over 37,000 miles. I will need tires, eventually, but I won't use them for that, either. I don't need a 'tech' to look over my truck for any reason. There is nothing that needs attention, recall, or 'maintenance timing', or not.

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
You've come to the right place, to start. Name your local dealers or region. Ask forum members for personal experience and recommendations. Find a connection through a friend, relative, or coworker to open a line of communication with someone at the dealership. For me, I browsed Lightnings on local lots and made phone calls to others while my truck was being built/shipped to a dealer farther away. Ask to talk to the EV salesperson or service person. Quickly you'll be able to eliminate those dealerships/employees that, sadly, just don't care about you. What I've found, maybe its common across dealerships or maybe I just got lucky, is that at the "good" dealerships you will eventually hear: "This is the guy/gal you want to talk to for your Lightning, they handle all of our EV customers." Test them out for your next minor service visit and you'll have your answer. A short conversation with him/her about your truck will tell you if they're up to speed on CSP's, TSB's, recalls, module replacements, and general likes/dislikes from their EV customer base. Also if they care enough about you and your truck to simply give you the time of day. Ask for their business card, email, or direct #. Enjoy your truck!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
Ford seems to be a bigger problem. The 3 recalls- cracked tail light, the fish bowl mat over the radio and the major software update. Call my dealer about 2 months ago? Hear nothing. I call the dealer two days ago. They don't have the tail light parts.

I receive an e-mail today from Ford stating:

Good news! The replacement parts for Ford F-150® Lightning® Platinum® and LARIAT® trucks are here and ready to be installed.
The affected 2022–2023 model-year F-150 Lightning Platinum and LARIAT trucks that may have microscopic cracks in the outer lens of the rear light bar can now be repaired.
Thank you for your patience while we worked toward a solution for safety recall 23S30. When you bought your Ford F-150 Lightning, you became part of a family that takes pride in everything it builds.
Your understanding, trust, and loyalty are extremely important to us.
Now it’s time for service. Our Ford-trained technicians are eager to make the repair and get you back on the road as soon as possible. Please book your appointment online or in the FordPass® App. For your convenience, your Ford Dealer may even be able to send a mobile technician to your business or job site to do the installation at no charge.
If you have any questions or need assistance, contact us by calling our Ford Customer Relationship Center at 833-926-3292 or by using our chat function at www.ford.com/help/contact/.
Again, thank you for your patience and for being a Ford Owner.

I call my dealer, figuring my parts are in. I get bounced from service department to the parts department. Parts department guy asks me for a number/code in my e-mail. I tell him I only have my VIN # and the recall #. Six hours later, parts guy calls me- "we don't have your parts here." I'm puzzled.

I go back to the Ford e-mail. I click through. It tells me that my dealer is the dealer I am on the phone with. I'm basically supposed to call that dealer. So I tell the dealer that based on Ford's e-mail, I would have thought they already shipped the cracked tail light part replacement to my dealer. The Parts guy at my dealer says no, they have no idea I got the e-mail. He said he ordered the tail light part and would call me when it comes in. I ask him if he has the improved rubber cover so that I can mount my salt water aquarium on my dashboard over my radio. He says he has that part, and I could come in now to have that replaced. I told him my fish and aquarium would rather wait until the cracked tail light is replaced. He said they can do the software when my tail light replacement comes in.

I'm not holding my breath to hear from Ford anytime soon.

Ford knows who my dealer is. They are one of the biggest Ford dealers in the Northeast. Why wouldn't Ford ship the part to my dealer that I am registered with instead of e-mailing me and providing a link to find my nearest dealer to contact my dealer.

Seems like there is a major disconnect between Ford and their dealers. I would call Ford, but I think I will be put on hold to this hold music:

Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
My dealer has been a joy to deal with. That said the owners wife got their 1st lightning and I got their 2nd lightning sold. So I’m just piggy backed on everything they have to do for her!

It’s totally dependent on the dealer. Make some phone calls to surrounding dealers. Ask to talk to the service manager. If you easily get to speak with the service manager and they seem to genuinely want your EV service work then you are probably good. If you get the runaround and cold shoulders then move along.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Ford knows who my dealer is. They are one of the biggest Ford dealers in the Northeast. Why wouldn't Ford ship the part to my dealer that I am registered with instead of e-mailing me and providing a link to find my nearest dealer to contact my dealer.
I also got the above email today and was hoping this was a REAL alert that the tail light that's been ordered from my recent visit had arrived!!! I have not called yet, was going to check Friday, but I suspect I'll hear the same as you ..... that it's not there yet ..... SMH!

BTW, also got an alert in Fordpass on the same subject, the alert is stored in my Account > Message Center .... SMH!!

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
I also got the above email today and was hoping this was a REAL alert that the tail light that's been ordered from my recent visit had arrived!!! I have not called yet, was going to check Friday, but I suspect I'll hear the same as you ..... that it's not there yet ..... SMH!

BTW, also got an alert in Fordpass on the same subject, the alert is stored in my Account > Message Center .... SMH!!
Best part of that e-mail:
Ummm, pride?
Umm, my understanding, trust and loyalty are being eroded with each interaction.

Thank you for your patience while we worked toward a solution for safety recall 23S30. When you bought your Ford F-150 Lightning, you became part of a family that takes pride in everything it builds.
Your understanding, trust, and loyalty are extremely important to us.

OP
OP

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
The General Manager responded to my negative experience and tried to remedy it. They ordered the lightbar replacement, and scheduled an appointment for the same four things. I dropped off the vehicle before 8a, and heard nothing all day. I came back in at 4p.

The exact same thing happened: the technician never looked at your vehicle. I should not have given them a second chance.

Can someone recommend a warranty repair dealer in the Denver Metro area, or anywhere in Colorado for that matter?

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
.......... Trophy husband
Same shit, different dealer. I got the tail bar recall letter and called my dealer to set it up. Took it in as scheduled, came back to pick it up and they told me that yes, my truck was a Lightning and so yes, they had ordered the part. So I wasted my time dropping off the truck for them to essentially tell me that it did in fact *qualify* for the recall and that they would order the part. Why did they need the truck though, seriously? Just order the part and schedule the INSTALL not an inspection. BTW they also tried to charge me for a 10k service when the truck has 7k miles, they never mentioned it prior to dropoff and WTF did they do anyway? Love the truck, hate the dealership model...
Sponsored