• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lariat ER makes single "engaging" clanking sound right after truck starts rolling

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I am not into vehicle mechanics - is it safe to drive it on highway? I am planning a 110 miles (round trip, mostly highway) journey next Tuesday before visiting the shop on Wednesday.

I drove a bit between 25 - 65 mph since I noticed the issue. Other than that single metallic clunk noise when rolling form a complete stop, I did not hear/feel anything different.
It’s not going to leave you stranded. Especially if all you need is the washer. I had forgotten about that TSB when I mentioned the half-shaft issue.

OP
OP

LYFISHER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightening Lariat Extended Range
Good to know thanks!

It’s not going to leave you stranded. Especially if all you need is the washer. I had forgotten about that TSB when I mentioned the half-shaft issue.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
It could be the "ting" issue, but it's weird that you're only noticing it after 2 years. I think most of us that had the ting noticed it very shortly after taking delivery.

Sponsored
OP
OP

LYFISHER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did not come back to report my fix because it's not 100% fixed - dealer service said it's not the ting washer, it's something not to spec and they tightened it to the spec. After two visits (and several days each time truck was in service and no loaner was possible), the problem is fixed to about only 15% of the time it still tings, not completely fixed :-(

And I got the yellow wrench warning light - one battery pack's gone bad. Service said replacement pack was shipped out on Monday, 07/15, but on Friday afternoon they said they could not locate it anywhere. The truck has about 15000 miles, delivered in October, 2022.

I don't (should not in the first place) trust any words that service rep tells me :-(

OP
OP

LYFISHER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Actually, when I mentioned the Ting Washer service notice Ford sent out specifically for some Lightning trucks, the service rep denied vehemently that washer exists, because it's not ICE truck but EV :-(

I actually had the notice printed out in my hand, it's 22-2395, details in
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10226929-0001.pdf

It's OK for him not to know about it for whatever reason, but denying the existence of it like that is not right.

I did not come back to report my fix because it's not 100% fixed - dealer service said it's not the ting washer, it's something not to spec and they tightened it to the spec. After two visits (and several days each time truck was in service and no loaner was possible), the problem is fixed to about only 15% of the time it still tings, not completely fixed :-(

And I got the yellow wrench warning light - one battery pack's gone bad. Service said replacement pack was shipped out on Monday, 07/15, but on Friday afternoon they said they could not locate it anywhere. The truck has about 15000 miles, delivered in October, 2022.

I don't (should not in the first place) trust any words that service rep tells me :-(

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
It's OK for him not to know about it for whatever reason, but denying the existence of it like that is not right.
Another one that needs to go to "reeducation camp" this summer.

OP
OP

LYFISHER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unfortunately, ignorant AND arrogant :-(

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Hey there. Can you send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of the Ford dealer you have been working with? I would like to take a closer look at your noise issue/repairs on my end.
Sponsored