Lectron adaptor fails, drains 12v ?

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
So my 2022 was totally dead as a doornail this morning at a hotel where it was plugged in to a Tesla destination charger using the adapter from Lectron.

I had gotten a charge fault error during the night, but did not bother to go down and unplug it.

Could that have somehow drained my 12 V battery?

I ended up having to get AAA to come give me a jump and that was the first time I ever did that.

I had to learn how to manually open the frunk, which ended up to be an easy thing, but then I couldnā€™t get the truck to recognize that the frunk was closed again so the alarm kept going off as I drove away.

I pulled over and tried to open and close the frunk a few more times and finally the alarm stopped going off and it seems to recognize that that it is closed, but now the little tool icon is lit up beneath the speedometer and so I guess I need to bring it into the dealership to check it out.

Anyone ever have this sort of thing happen with the adapter, perhaps draining the 12V battery dead?
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Unlikely the adapter drained the 12V.

Most likely your phone or keys were close by to keep the car awake ?

Next time check on the charger by using your app.
Ford F-150 Lightning Lectron adaptor fails, drains 12v ? Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 06.58.02

OP
OP

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Unlikely the adapter drained the 12V.

Most likely your phone or keys were close by to keep the car awake ?

Next time check on the charger by using your app.
Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 06.58.02.jpeg
The keys were nearby I guess, with the valet guys. They kept the truck right by their valet booth, where the Tesla chargers were located.

I didnā€™t realize that having the keys nearby the truck could keep the truck awake, and drain the 12V like this. Is there some setting that can be chosen to avoid that ? Thanks!

OP
OP

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
This is the alert the Ford Pass is giving me now:

Ford F-150 Lightning Lectron adaptor fails, drains 12v ? IMG_9315
Ford F-150 Lightning Lectron adaptor fails, drains 12v ? IMG_9313

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I didnā€™t realize that having the keys nearby the truck could keep the truck awake, and drain the 12V like this. Is there some setting that can be chosen to avoid that ? Thanks!
Try switching the welcome lighting feature off, assuming the valet's had all the keys in a drawer / cabinet that was being opened frequently through the evening these movements might have been enough to trigger the lights intermittently.

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
This is the alert the Ford Pass is giving me now:
How much has your power been reduced (see yellow circle below)? Seems like many of us who have gotten this error, had power reduced to 54-57% and we had a bad battery module. If you have CarScenner, it will tell you the DTC.
Ford F-150 Lightning Lectron adaptor fails, drains 12v ? 1712520041800-oc

OP
OP

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
How much has your power been reduced (see yellow circle below)? Seems like many of us who have gotten this error, had power reduced to 54-57% and we had a bad battery module. If you have CarScenner, it will tell you the DTC.
1712520041800-oc.png
I didnā€™t notice that reduced power thing. Iā€™d check now but I had to ditch the truck at home and take the wifeā€™s ICE car because I headed 4 hours up into northern VT for the eclipse and couldnā€™t risk the lightning.

Hopefully I can get the dealer to figure it out when I get back.

glad Iā€™m still in warranty at 31,000.

This is just the sort of thing my Murphyā€™s law luck would normally bring me at 36,001 šŸ™ƒ

OP
OP

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Try switching the welcome lighting feature off, assuming the valet's had all the keys in a drawer / cabinet that was being opened frequently through the evening these movements might have been enough to trigger the lights intermittently.
Good point, thanks. Iā€™ll definitely try that next time (not that I valet often).

Do you think having the destination charger plugged in overnight in a fault/charging paused mode could have kept something on that might have drained the 12V ?

seems too much of a coincidence to have it happen that same night, not to have it play into it somehow.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
This is just the sort of thing my Murphyā€™s law luck would normally bring me at 36,001 šŸ™ƒ
Your traction battery warranty is 100,000 miles or 8 years.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Good point, thanks. Iā€™ll definitely try that next time (not that I valet often).

Do you think having the destination charger plugged in overnight in a fault/charging paused mode could have kept something on that might have drained the 12V ?

seems too much of a coincidence to have it happen that same night, not to have it play into it somehow.
Yes, my first thought is the HVB charge contactors continued to be energized, also the DC/DC inverter might have an issue since it didn't maintain the LVB properly overnight.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Yes, my first thought is the HVB charge contactors continued to be energized, also the DC/DC inverter might have an issue since it didn't maintain the LVB properly overnight.

So do you think there is any damage done, for the dealer to fix you think? Or maybe they just need to clear it and reset it somehow.

alsoā€¦sorry for the ignorance but what do those acronyms stand for?

thanks again!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
So do you think there is any damage done, for the dealer to fix you think? Or maybe they just need to clear it and reset it somehow.

alsoā€¦sorry for the ignorance but what do those acronyms stand for?

thanks again!
Not sure what the root problem is, your service tech will know more once it's properly diagnosed.

HVB (high voltage battery) aka traction battery
LVB 12volt battery

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Your issues likely stem from a drained 12v. Charge it up fully with a battery charger, or plug the truck into charge for hours (use 120v if it is already at a high percentage, it will charge at a 1.1kW rate and charge the 12v also).

solastobann

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Farmer
I didnā€™t notice that reduced power thing. Iā€™d check now but I had to ditch the truck at home and take the wifeā€™s ICE car because I headed 4 hours up into northern VT for the eclipse and couldnā€™t risk the lightning.

Hopefully I can get the dealer to figure it out when I get back.

glad Iā€™m still in warranty at 31,000.

As for me, I bought the extended warranty from Ford. Monthly payment is $125 or so. Many non-Ford warranty companies wonā€™t write extended warranties on Lightnings (or any EVs). I donā€™t have the terms of Fordā€™s, but I bought the Big Maggilla. Essentially, an extension of the factory warranty, with service at a Ford dealership.

OP
OP

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Not sure what the root problem is, your service tech will know more once it's properly diagnosed.

HVB (high voltage battery) aka traction battery
LVB 12volt battery

apologies for the delayed response.

Ford told me to plug it in overnight and see if that makes it go away. It seems to have done the trick. An oddly simple solution!

then I did notice that they did some sort of battery monitor sensor warranty work, while I was getting the light bar warranty work done this week. Not sure if this has anything to do with my issues on the 12V going dead on me.

also did the coolant flush, they said was all I needed at 30kā€¦..for $200, (not sure that was worth it)

Ford F-150 Lightning Lectron adaptor fails, drains 12v ? IMG_9512
Sponsored

Last edited: