• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Won’t Accept More Than 46A From Grizzl-E Ultimate 80A Charger

IWIRE

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Electrical Consultant
Sorry, as others have said you missed a memo somewhere.

the 2024 lightnings and newer can’t do 80a. Who told you they can?

the pro model can be special ordered that way for fleet customers but for regular folks no.

it’s one of the favorite reasons I got a 2023
Same reason I bought a 2023, because in order to reduce cost Ford was going to only come with one charger instead of 2 if you bought an ER package on 2023 models. (Also they do not include Ford Home Pro Charger 80 amps) anymore on 2024 models, but it came included with 2023 ER model, which can take take the 80 Amp charge.
Sponsored

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
I think we're missing something when judging OP, he was under impression-confirmed by Ford representative, that he could charge at 80A.

We may be plugged in (heh) but the average consumer, isn't.

Ford needs to be the authority, not some rando thread on a forum linking a 1 paragraph article with no source.

OP
OP

CAVUBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning
look at this way, you are future proof to have a better charger if you upgrade to something down the road that can take advantage of the 80 amps.
JRT,

looking on the bright side—nice!

CAVUBob

OP
OP

CAVUBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning
I think we're missing something when judging OP, he was under impression-confirmed by Ford representative, that he could charge at 80A.

Ford needs to be the authority, not some rando thread on a forum linking a 1 paragraph article with no source.
BeeKind,

I looked on Ford’s multiple sites this morning to see if I could dig up what I know now about the chargers (EVSEs) and their verbiage still easily leads to the idea the 80A is still possible. They list miles per hour gained during charging which hides what the amperage is, although you could do the math to figure it out.

Bottom line, there is a smoke screen out there about this issue and I did not see through it.

CAVUBob

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER

Eih, it says that the Ford Charge Station Pro adds 20 miles of range per hour. Then right below it that the Mobile Charger is 30 amps and adds 13 miles of range per hour.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/features/electric/?intcmp=vhp-featcta-electric

Not saying it's OK for Fords CSRs to be wrong, or at the very least answered the OPs questions in a way that left him believing his preconceived notions. That said, chat isn't the best way to get authoritative answers, and let's be honest here Fords chat is NOT well informed.

Not saying the OP is a dummy here, Fords specs, websites, documents, etc SUCKS. I can totally see missing this one piece of info.

Here is a fun one, try and figure out the specifics of Fords Copilot assist active 360 bluecruise (plus) systems and see if you can find definitions for components and capabilities of each

Sponsored

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23.5 MachE GTPE & '24 Lightning Lariat
Not judging the OP feeling that Ford gave wrong info. Just wondering if 80amp is needed for his/her use-case. I charge overnight so 95% of the time even 25 or 32amp is beyond enough (using Wallbox 40amp max charge). As long as I have the state of charge I want in the morning, all good.

I have the ‘24 Lariat and a Mache. I typically get about 9-10kw/hr charge at home. That is enough to get from 10/20-80 overnight, and even more depending on when I plug in.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Won’t Accept More Than 46A From Grizzl-E Ultimate 80A Charger IMG_4558

BeeKind

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
Eih, it says that the Ford Charge Station Pro adds 20 miles of range per hour. Then right below it that the Mobile Charger is 30 amps and adds 13 miles of range per hour.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/features/electric/?intcmp=vhp-featcta-electric

Not saying it's OK for Fords CSRs to be wrong, or at the very least answered the OPs questions in a way that left him believing his preconceived notions. That said, chat isn't the best way to get authoritative answers, and let's be honest here Fords chat is NOT well informed.

Not saying the OP is a dummy here, Fords specs, websites, documents, etc SUCKS. I can totally see missing this one piece of info.

Here is a fun one, try and figure out the specifics of Fords Copilot assist active 360 bluecruise (plus) systems and see if you can find definitions for components and capabilities of each
I'm betting if you went out right now you'd find more stuff saying the Lightning charges at 80A than not, by huge margins and you'd have to Google specifically the lower charging changeover. Add-in ANY kind of official communication from Ford that it has it and I'm sorry but I don't care if it's a chatbot or Farley himself but there's -0- call for making the OP feel like he was dumb here.

He's not going to be alone in thinking he has 80A on board charging and not actually have it is my thinking. Also, kinda BS to pin it on him.

First result for me that actually yields an answer is this, a few non-right answer, scroll, first answer.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Won’t Accept More Than 46A From Grizzl-E Ultimate 80A Charger 1726347967772-im

Meanwhile, you go to Ford's site you see no mention of 48A max. If it said it somewhere prominently, 48A max, there could be some kind of argument for OP needing to know but they hid it behind numbers even veteran EV owners likely aren't going to divide too seriously to see.

They don't even list it on the window sticker. I'm sorry but the idea that literally anyone should have to go deep into press releases on janky blogs to understand what is going to be in their truck is ludicrous speak in my mind.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
I'm betting if you went out right now you'd find more stuff saying the Lightning charges at 80A than not, by huge margins and you'd have to Google specifically the lower charging changeover. Add-in ANY kind of official communication from Ford that it has it and I'm sorry but I don't care if it's a chatbot or Farley himself but there's -0- call for making the OP feel like he was dumb here.

He's not going to be alone in thinking he has 80A on board charging and not actually have it is my thinking. Also, kinda BS to pin it on him.

First result for me that actually yields an answer is this, a few non-right answer, scroll, first answer.

1726347967772-im.jpg

Meanwhile, you go to Ford's site you see no mention of 48A max. If it said it somewhere prominently, 48A max, there could be some kind of argument for OP needing to know but they hid it behind numbers even veteran EV owners likely aren't going to divide too seriously to see.

They don't even list it on the window sticker. I'm sorry but the idea that literally anyone should have to go deep into press releases on janky blogs to understand what is going to be in their truck is ludicrous speak in my mind.
Say what you want.

If the website says a 30amp charger gives 13 miles of range an hour then it's pretty simple math to figure out that nearly triple that that isn't 20 miles of range an hour.

And don't put words in anyones mouth, nobody said he was dumb, and it's an easy thing to miss. But it wasn't OVERLY hidden either. That and many here knew it and they got it from Ford sources themselves.

I already said Fords tream sucks so no argument there.

Ultimately I'm done here. OP missed this, that sucks, and I'm not sitting here beating him up over it because I could see myself missing this. Making this an argument about him just forces sides which makes it seem there is a side against him when there isn't. We all support picking on Fords support here but taking an extreme defense to his situation just forces the opposing view and continuing that argument doesn't do anyone any good.

OP, sorry about your situation, you are well and right to vent like hell over it. Good luck

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Simple actual owner experience to help level-set need vs want. 40amps. You can extrapolate for your nightly charging requirements.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Won’t Accept More Than 46A From Grizzl-E Ultimate 80A Charger IMG_4567
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Won’t Accept More Than 46A From Grizzl-E Ultimate 80A Charger IMG_4565
Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Won’t Accept More Than 46A From Grizzl-E Ultimate 80A Charger IMG_4566

Sponsored
OP
OP

CAVUBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning
Not judging the OP feeling that Ford gave wrong info. Just wondering if 80amp is needed for his/her use-case. I charge overnight so 95% of the time even 25 or 32amp is beyond enough (using Wallbox 40amp max charge). As long as I have the state of charge I want in the morning, all good.

I have the ‘24 Lariat and a Mache. I typically get about 9-10kw/hr charge at home. That is enough to get from 10/20-80 overnight, and even more depending on when I plug in.

IMG_4558.jpeg
MrLoganRoss,

Yes, I agree that the 48A is adequate. Actually, the mobile 30A has been adequate for the six weeks we’ve owned the Lightning. My plan was to run the 80A Grizzl-E at a reduced rate (48A) due to conversations pointing to better battery health with a lower charge rate.

But…I was fully expecting (ignorantly) that I could reset the DIP switches to max, if a need popped up requiring a quicker turnaround. I’m disappointed that I missed the signs—they’re all there…just a little bit cloaked by Ford. I’m thankful the folks on this thread opened my eyes to the fact that returning the Grizzl-E and buying a FCSP would have me in the exact situation I’m in at the moment, but with a bunch more money wasted.

So, officially THANK YOU each and everyone who commented. I should’ve come here first!

CAVUBob

OP
OP

CAVUBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning
Say what you want.

If the website says a 30amp charger gives 13 miles of range an hour then it's pretty simple math to figure out that nearly triple that that isn't 20 miles of range an hour.

And don't put words in anyones mouth, nobody said he was dumb, and it's an easy thing to miss. But it wasn't OVERLY hidden either. That and many here knew it and they got it from Ford sources themselves.

I already said Fords tream sucks so no argument there.

Ultimately I'm done here. OP missed this, that sucks, and I'm not sitting here beating him up over it because I could see myself missing this. Making this an argument about him just forces sides which makes it seem there is a side against him when there isn't. We all support picking on Fords support here but taking an extreme defense to his situation just forces the opposing view and continuing that argument doesn't do anyone any good.

OP, sorry about your situation, you are well and right to vent like hell over it. Good luck
Firn,

Lesson learned. Thank you for your comments!

This cost us $300 more for the 80A over the 48A version of the Grizzl-E—I’ve made bigger mistakes. The good part that someone mentioned earlier is that we’ll have a little future proofing built into our charging setup.

Hopefully this thread will help someone down the road.

I’m impressed how many of you guys helped. That’s a good community.

CAVUBob

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All good here. No judgement. I am happy for everyone who has an EV. Saw a ton of them at Electrify Seattle today.

Just in case someone new comes across this thread, here is what a charge day looks like, half-way though, when I haven’t driven a ton lately and my last charge was several several days ago.

Again, for anyone new to EVs, a typical home charger is just fine for almost all of the time.

Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning Won’t Accept More Than 46A From Grizzl-E Ultimate 80A Charger IMG_4589

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Grizzl-E's tech support sent me a spec sheet for the 2024 Lightning that lists its on-board charger with this label "19.2kW/17.6 kW (80A) Fleet Only" where, apparently, "Fleet Only" means it has to be the Ford Charge Station Pro Charger!
Piss Poor Documentation by Grizzly for inaccurate depiction of limits of scope depending on the vehicle equipment, yes, the very rare bird of a PRO-ER [FLEET ORDER] has that capacity, while everything else doesn't, that should have been documented by the EVSE manufacturer.

Piss Poor communication from Ford Tech Support, not knowing the product for MY24, not surprised.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
It sucks they did away with the 80 amp charging, among numerous other things that are no longer included in the 24s.

If you're ok with various features and functions that were either removed or made an extra cost on the '24, the heat pump can be a big deal depending on your climate and driving needs. Lots of people don't care because the battery is big enough to not matter without it where they drive. Personally I decided I'd rather have all freebies and includes in the '23 and could live without the heat pump.

But moving onward in life, every EV should eventually be equipped with a heat pump and it will be dumb to not have it. I expect the next time I buy a new EV years from now, it won't even be an option to consider.
I'm waiting to see actual winter range improvement on 24s. Given the market and inflation I'm sticking with my 23, hope to pay off Fed 2025 and target early retirement within 5 years. If this truck holds up, I'll keep past the 80k extended warranty and try for at least 150k miles like my old RAM.
Sponsored