• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Mildew/Musty/Moisture Smell Upon Fan/AC turning On

LifeAsDane

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Lightning SR Lariat | 13' F150 EB Lariat
Occupation
Real Estate
Has anyone else experienced this? When I get into the car I don't smell anything unusual. The moment the air kicks on I'm getting a mildew/moisture smell hitting me every time in the morning upon startup. I just got the "Customer Satisfaction Program 23B11" letter but this seems to be a prevention item.

Don't feel like leaving my car with FORD for them to "try and find" water intrusion. Wanted to start here to see if anyone else dealt with this yet.
Sponsored

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
You can shut off a/c and run the fan on High for a few minutes, before being done with the truck.

I do this every time with every vehicle I have owned and never had a problem.

Some car makers tell the BCM to do this automatically.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Common problem, you could get the odor cleared by flushing it clean with a Lysol or other chemical treatment to kill the mold spores you currently have, then follow the Buttlers advice, or about 5 minutes prior to arriving at an interim of final destination, turn off the AC quick hit of the button so the drying cycle completes before you arrive and shut down the truck.

Google the issue for how to videos

OP
OP
LifeAsDane

LifeAsDane

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate
You can shut off a/c and run the fan on High for a few minutes, before being done with the truck.

I do this every time with every vehicle I have owned and never had a problem.

Some car makers tell the BCM to do this automatically.
Hey Mr Butler. What does this have to do with the smell? Wish I didn't need to be creative with how I manage my air and a/c before shutting down my car.
Just curious if this is sign of water intrusion. I saw Taxman's reply but how is the mold starting?

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Hey Mr Butler. What does this have to do with the smell? Wish I didn't need to be creative with how I manage my air and a/c before shutting down my car.
Just curious if this is sign of water intrusion. I saw Taxman's reply but how is the mold starting?
Natural occurrences from the environment, the cabin air filter does not capture all of it, might try changing the filter more often, also make sure there is no leaf / debris built up in the exterior intake ports around the hood grill / wiper arms.

Sponsored

marlin1060

First Name
Mearl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
After listening to Car Talk for many years, this may be a clogged condensation line. I have no idea where to find it, but they've always talked about blowing it out with some sort of airhose. The issue is that the water doesn't drip out and back up somewhere and it get moldy.

eman5oh

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lighting XLT SR
Has anyone else experienced this? When I get into the car I don't smell anything unusual. The moment the air kicks on I'm getting a mildew/moisture smell hitting me every time in the morning upon startup. I just got the "Customer Satisfaction Program 23B11" letter but this seems to be a prevention item.

Don't feel like leaving my car with FORD for them to "try and find" water intrusion. Wanted to start here to see if anyone else dealt with this yet.

Mine does the same thing. I asked the dealer about it and they recommended I replace the cabin air filter. I replaced the cabin air filer and spayed lysol though the HVAC unit to disinfect it. It worked for a bit but the smell has returned. Dealer said I can bring it in and they would look at but said they had not had any others with the same issue. I think I am going bring it in when I have the wiper motor recall done and ask them to check on this as well. I have been in the habit of switching the AC off a few miles before I arrive at my destination to help dry out the AC coils but I forget to do it sometimes and well the smell is back. Ford should do better, I have read this is an issue with the gas F150 as well.

Reactions: s_c
OP
OP
LifeAsDane

LifeAsDane

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Real Estate
Mine does the same thing. I asked the dealer about it and they recommended I replace the cabin air filter. I replaced the cabin air filer and spayed lysol though the HVAC unit to disinfect it. It worked for a bit but the smell has returned. Dealer said I can bring it in and they would look at but said they had not had any others with the same issue. I think I am going bring it in when I have the wiper motor recall done and ask them to check on this as well. I have been in the habit of switching the AC off a few miles before I arrive at my destination to help dry out the AC coils but I forget to do it sometimes and well the smell is back. Ford should do better, I have read this is an issue with the gas F150 as well.
Thanks for sharing. I made this post yesterday and drove my truck twice and forgot to turn a/c off both times before arriving home. But I shouldn't have too.

Ive owned many cars, all with air conditioners, and all while being in Florida where humidity and mold are everywhere. Air filters should not need replacing but on avg every 15k miles. Guarantee most people never touch these items until a mechanic makes the suggestion. But with only 7500mi on the truck and half being up North it just seemed a little weird and not even something I'd have considered.

I have a k&n filter cleaning kit I'll apply and see what happens.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I've been a Ford owner for eons, the problem developed on all my former trucks....
Tips from my favorite PowerStroke technician!!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Hi there. This smell concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Lightning truck. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

Sponsored

scruvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT Standard Range
Has anyone on here had luck PM'ing @ Ford Motor Company to resolve these issues?

I have this issue and am getting push back from my dealership that it's not a warranty issue before they have diagnosed it. Is there anything that this @ Ford Motor Company account can do that's above and beyond what my dealership is doing?

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Unfortunately every F150 I have owned has this issue, even my current Lightning with 17K miles. Im going to try taxman’s suggestions that he posted.

rgrandy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I also have this issue. The smell is there when it starts up but goes away shortly. First vehicle I have ever had that does this :(

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I thought I noticed that order a little yesterday, but didn’t think too much about it. Guess I’ll by more attention today and see if it’s still there or getting worse.

I have certainly babied the hell out of Pavement Princesses for the last year and certainly hope this isn’t going to be an issue. 🙁

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I thought I noticed that order a little yesterday, but didn’t think too much about it. Guess I’ll by more attention today and see if it’s still there or getting worse.

I have certainly babied the hell out of Pavement Princesses for the last year and certainly hope this isn’t going to be an issue. 🙁
Shoot some lysol spray into the fan compartment {remove dust filter} every 3/6 months, YMMV
Sponsored