Sponsored

My 2023 Lightning Lariat is getting a battery pack replacement!

OP
OP

chickenlives

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Chickenlives,
I’m curious, what kind of driving do you do on a regular basis? Around town, highway, off-road.
Let us know if you can what your typical drive with the Lighting was like.
Thanks and hope all this gets resolved for you soon.
P.S. You took possession in December of 2022, right? 20k in two months would be extreme!
Typical driving is 50 miles one direction twice a week (In one location for 3 days then back). Highway driving at about 75mph. I always charge at home using my Ford station pro to 80% and let the range drop down to maybe 75 miles left before charging again. Occasional trip to home Depot.
Sponsored

OP
OP

chickenlives

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
As others have noted, the F150 pack is modular and designed for repair.

Yikes. Swapping out one single card seems like it could be problematic.

Dave Motz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I wasn't going to post anything because I didn't see anyone else with this type of an issue. Last weekend on Friday I received a message that my truck was getting an update. Saturday morning I received a message on my Ford app: Update Unsuccessful-Vehicle Cannot be Driven Until Serviced. It took three hours for the tow truck and an hour ride with the guy back to my dealership to pickup my loaner. The dealership was great, I got my Truck back on Monday evening. All they could tell me is that there were some codes in the truck that the update didn't like, once they were remove the update took and so far everything seems to be fine. I hope this isn't a sign that more issues are on the way. I still fine it hard to believe that Ford will allow an update that can totally disable your vehicle. It sure makes you feel that there technology department and vehicles are not very dependable any more.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
I wasn't going to post anything because I didn't see anyone else with this type of an issue. Last weekend on Friday I received a message that my truck was getting an update.
What was the latest version / name of the update ?

The Fordpass app, Vehicle tab > Features & Settings > Software Updates > Recent Changes >>
Will describe what posted recently, may include a version number.

Sponsored

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
I wasn't going to post anything because I didn't see anyone else with this type of an issue. Last weekend on Friday I received a message that my truck was getting an update. Saturday morning I received a message on my Ford app: Update Unsuccessful-Vehicle Cannot be Driven Until Serviced. It took three hours for the tow truck and an hour ride with the guy back to my dealership to pickup my loaner. The dealership was great, I got my Truck back on Monday evening. All they could tell me is that there were some codes in the truck that the update didn't like, once they were remove the update took and so far everything seems to be fine. I hope this isn't a sign that more issues are on the way. I still fine it hard to believe that Ford will allow an update that can totally disable your vehicle. It sure makes you feel that there technology department and vehicles are not very dependable any more.
That's a completely separate topic from this. For whatever reason, the update via OTA became corrupt and it stopped. The dealer connected their computer, pulled a copy of the software right from the Ford servers and loaded it on your truck. That is the end of this issue, anything else that may or may not happen is unrelated.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
My service agent didn't know the details other than calling it a battery pack. But I hope you are correct and it's just a module. I don't have a lot of confidence that the service department has much expertise dealing with EVs. When I asked the agent if they see this failure much he said "The lightning is new to us" which makes sense.

They didn't have a comparable loaner truck so they used Enterprise to get me one. On their dime of course. I appreciate the effort.

He said 1-3 weeks but I'm worried that they may not get this right on their first attempt to repair. I'll update this thread as things happen. I've been using this dealership for many years and like them (Tuttle Click Ford in San Juan Capistrano). They serviced my last F150 for 13 years without issue.
I went through this last July, although my truck never actually stopped running, just the warning. Only two of the (6 or 8?) battery modules ultimately needed to be replaced. Although it did take several weeks to get the battery parts, once they had them, the job was done in a day and a half and I've had no issues since.

Dave Motz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
It would have been nice if the dealer would have shared that information. Thanks for your input.

Sponsored

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Yikes. Swapping out one single card seems like it could be problematic.
They don’t rebuild the modules.

If Tuttle has issues have them reach out to Ken Grody down in Carlsbad. They have lots of experience (unfortunately). Mike Mills is awesome advisor there.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I wondered how long replacement battery parts would be available for our Lightnings. Like if it's 12-years-old and the battery craps out, what's the chance that a replacement part for a not overwhelmingly popular vehicle will be available (at an "affordable" price! 🤪 )???

I'd always thought from some hearsay from my teenage years that there was a federal law requiring parts to be available for 10, 15 years, something like that. Apparently not. Straight from the horse's mouth from the Chief Counsel of the NHTSA in 2004:
There is no provision in the Safety Act or in any of our safety standards or other regulations that requires a manufacturer to make replacement parts available for any particular period of time, or, for that matter, at all.
Source:https://www.nhtsa.gov/interpretations/timereplcepartpollak12-03

Another Internet source states the obvious: manufacturers must obviously be able to provide spare parts during the warranty period for an item. But that's it. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...e-to-provide-replacement-parts-for-older-cars

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Hello, I came on today for this exact issue. I took my 2022 Lariat lighting into the dealer for some outstanding recalls in the beginning of November and it has morphed into replacing cells in the battery. It has been a nightmare of excuses and changing in and out of loaners every week. I was told that it was a software issue a bunch times and that a factory engineer has flown in to work the issue three or four times. I was supposed to pick it up today and was told that now some cells have to be changed. Problem is, they can't find any cells. I reached out to an attorney. Anybody else having this issue besides the OP and myself?
To answer that question just search for Malfunction or Drive Train. That should give you what you’re wondering about.