Sponsored

My 2023 Lightning Lariat is getting a battery pack replacement!

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
If they truly were replacing the WHOLE battery pack, that might be a good thing.

You would have a fresh battery! With zero hours on it.
Presumably one better than then the one you had.
I think we are a year to two out from that happening. In all seriousness if all battery modules are subject to failure I think we will get new packs down the road. If it's a manufacturing issue that only affects a certain percentage of modules then the current fix will take care of it. Since it's happening to recent builds and Ford isn't disclosing the cause of the failures it's my humble opinion that all modules are subject to failure.
Sponsored

atguru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
For whatever it's worth, this is the best video I've seen on identifying and replacing the modules from the battery pack.

OP - Hoping the best for you with battery pack issues. At least it looks like the dealership is owning it. I just passed 32K with my '23 Lightning Pro - no issues so far. These kind of stories makes me cross my fingers!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
OP - Just curious,... Is your battery pack an SR or ER version?
Chicken has an ER, had to do some post history research to figure that out......

Come on people, put some useful detail in your VEHICLES: profile or use a signature..... help a helper out here will ya?@?@?

Sponsored

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
Ford did their homework on the battery pack. The modular design is very cool. I wonder if, down the road we can replace the whole pack when battery tech improves?

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
I'm speaking in general, not this particular debugging session!!!!!
But I was looking in your signature for the Build date and lo and behold, our leader did not show it!
I think you mean in general that folks can list the specific model, battery size, build date, sync/software updates/versions, prices, accessories added in a signature. Then miles & situation & location when a problem occurred, etc?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Vito

First Name
Vito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning F150 Lariat ER
After getting a "High Voltage battery warning" message when I started my truck one morning a few days ago, I had to have my truck towed to my Ford dealership. It was no longer drivable. After looking at it for a few hours they determined I needed a full battery pack replacement. I've had the truck for 13+ months without issue. I drove it the night before 50 miles with no problems. I was told It'll take 1-3 weeks for the battery to come in. They rented me an ICE 2024 F150 Lariat from Enterprise and sent me on my way.
sorry Mike, I had the same exact issue as well about 4 weeks ago, it took my dealer 2 weeks to diagnose, another week to give me a loaner, and quoted at least 2-3 weeks for repairs. My dealer insists, at least for now, that its a "sensor replacement" and not a battery pack and/or module !! Its crazy how dealer service advisors are all over the place with what they are telling owners with these "HVB Warning" issues :-( Good luck to all of us.

AI_Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER
Occupation
Accredited Investor
Hello, I came on today for this exact issue. I took my 2022 Lariat lighting into the dealer for some outstanding recalls in the beginning of November and it has morphed into replacing cells in the battery. It has been a nightmare of excuses and changing in and out of loaners every week. I was told that it was a software issue a bunch times and that a factory engineer has flown in to work the issue three or four times. I was supposed to pick it up today and was told that now some cells have to be changed. Problem is, they can't find any cells. I reached out to an attorney. Anybody else having this issue besides the OP and myself?
Pursue the buyback issue for sure & please keep us posted on how it goes.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Just got mine back from a module replacement.

Good news is the software update probably kept me from getting stranded, I was able to limp home on partial power.

I was identified as a recall/replacement candidate and it finally gave out at just under 20,000 miles. Unfortunately, it’s the first EV I’ve owned that actually had a battery replaced.

Hdscreens

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
I get a feeling the service dept ended up with extra nuts or bolts in their hands after this repair.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Battery problems are not unique to BEVs. My first hybrid, a 2010 Ford Fusion, lost its battery at 8,000 miles. My hope is that the battery technology and quality improve so that failures are one offs rather than what seems common place on this forum. I do remember the dealer telling me that they had replaced only one other battery at the time and that was due to collision damage In an Escape hybrid.

What I don’t understand is that if high voltage batteries have been mainstream for at least 20 years, why all the problems now? When I bought my truck, it was in part due to my comfort with the Ford Fusion Hybrids that we had owned and the fact that they were all bullet proof.
Sponsored