• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

My Lightning thinks I'm still trailing 2 days later

KennebecMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I do enjoy my new work truck. its been 2 months and a couple thousand miles and even though I don't know why Ford hasn't gotten its act together on software I'm happy with it. The ride and comfort is excellent. This truck replaced my super duty and even though I haul equipment mostly with another large truck I have hauled a camper, cord wood and other things in the last 2 months. This weekend I haul a cord of wood with a dump trailer and the truck still things I'm hooked to a trailer. I say this because when turning the truck on I get warnings about cross traffic alert being turn off and the range is assuming 1KW per mile. I know its a software bug, but after 2 days it should have resolved itself, correct?
Sponsored

OP
OP
KennebecMark

KennebecMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Thanks a bunch. I did check the plug and found no issues. I did not know I could tell the truck there is no trailer and that worked. Thanks Maquis.

One would think if the truck could tell a trailer was connected the reverse would be true. Software

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Thanks a bunch. I did check the plug and found no issues. I did not know I could tell the truck there is no trailer and that worked. Thanks Maquis.

One would think if the truck could tell a trailer was connected the reverse would be true. Software
Applying logic? :crackup:

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
most all of us have experienced this, but I think I have your answer:

while we might use 'Tow Mode', which can give us a more realistic 'guessometer' for miles of range...

that same equation is going to continue for several days/weeks afterwards, BECAUSE the guessometer uses our 'Past History' to determine it's calculation. Yes, while WE know we are not towing now, it DOES NOT take that into consideration.
If it's history shows the last 100 miles at 1.1 mi/kwh, it's going to continue using that history of mi/kwh for a few more hundred miles ...

Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
It is a Lightning not a lighting unless this thread is about a lamp

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

turbato

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium ER, 2023 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Security
Been having the same issue since one of the updates in last month. Unplugging with truck on or off does not matter. I been having to select no trailer each time when done towing to get the GOM back to normal reading.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Been having the same issue since one of the updates in last month. Unplugging with truck on or off does not matter. I been having to select no trailer each time when done towing to get the GOM back to normal reading.
Use the feedback function in your truck to report this issue, now and after the next incident.

Taddio

First Name
Tad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT Standard Battery
Occupation
Application Developer/Engineer
I have a 2023 SR XLT and had a similar issue after using a trailer. I tried all of the same things, connecting a trailer, disconnecting, etc.

Here is how I fixed it:

> Press Menu button on steering wheel

> Scroll to Settings

> Press OK

> Scroll to "EV Driving History"

> Press OK

> Reset or Restore

> OK

Those steps should reset the GOM back to a reasonably accurate display linked to the State of Charge (SoC).

I am an application developer/software engineer and I see this issue as a software fault in which the code doing the GOM calculation is "stuck" in towing mode.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I do enjoy my new work truck. its been 2 months and a couple thousand miles and even though I don't know why Ford hasn't gotten its act together on software I'm happy with it. The ride and comfort is excellent. This truck replaced my super duty and even though I haul equipment mostly with another large truck I have hauled a camper, cord wood and other things in the last 2 months. This weekend I haul a cord of wood with a dump trailer and the truck still things I'm hooked to a trailer. I say this because when turning the truck on I get warnings about cross traffic alert being turn off and the range is assuming 1KW per mile. I know its a software bug, but after 2 days it should have resolved itself, correct?
Hey! I can take a closer look into your software concern should you need further assistance. Can you send us a direct message with your VIN and the dealership details

Gman

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired Developer
I have a similar problem with my 2022 SR Lariat. Truck only has a thousand miles on it I have had it about two weeks. I was charging each night to 90% which gives it about a 200 mile range. I towed my 15' whaler to the launch the other day. It made me add a trailer and I selected tow mode. Now with no trailer attached, I get a range adjustment message for towing at startup and it wants me to pick a trailer. Even when I pick no trailer, now when I charge it at night to 90%, it only shows a 120 mile range. Just crazy!

I'll might try the reset option shown above by Taddio.

Nomoregas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
mine has been telling me range is reduced due to trailer connected, that was 2 months ago since trailer was connected! Very poor software